Balanced tube preamp recommendations for Ref 9's?

Psilonaught

Balanced tube preamp recommendations for Ref 9's?
« on: 3 Dec 2008, 12:07 pm »
guys am looking for a fully balanced tube preamp, must have a remote and budget would be $2k max second hand

any suggestions?

richidoo

Re: Balanced tube preamp recommendations for Ref 9's?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2008, 01:52 pm »
Something like this (already sold, but there's a steady stream of these.) I think a used ARC would fill your features list, but you're throwing away resolution. Balanced tubes is extremely expensive to play at the quality that the NuForce deserves because you need double the circuit to pass a balanced signal. ARC Ref 3, ModWright 36.5, Cary SLP-05. Also BAT.

There are some great single ended tube pres out there that are very quiet and high resolution. Use some nice shielded cables like JPS and you won't need balanced.

DZetye

« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2008, 03:36 pm »
BAT VK-3iX.  Should be able to find used less than $2000 w/remote option

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2008, 10:43 pm »
Using a Audio Horizons 2.1nbr  balanced pre amp with my Ref 9 SE V2s with outstanding results. Ive had this combo for way over a year. Using Josephs balanced ICs also. Good luck with your quest as you may find a used one at audiogon for your price range.

sbrtoy

« Reply #4 on: 4 Dec 2008, 05:17 pm »
Vincent SA-T8 is fully balanced with true dual mono construction. Retail is $2499 but one could probably find a good deal if they were interested  :wink:

oris98

« Reply #5 on: 4 Dec 2008, 07:29 pm »
If you can find the BAT 30SE, it should be around $2K to $2.2K range used.   However, for $2.7K you can get their 31SE which is a much improved preamp.  You won't regret this..

nuforce-casey

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 5 Dec 2008, 08:50 am »
I personally like BAT balanced preamp.  I have a 5SE, and also heard 50SE, but they are pain in the a** to use, as most of the source components are RCA.

With Nuforce, balanced or unbalanced preamp makes no difference since the power amp accepts both signal.

WerTicus

« Reply #7 on: 5 Dec 2008, 04:19 pm »
my 8b only has balanced input....