Well Tempered bearing adjustment

Muser_53

Well Tempered bearing adjustment
« on: 27 Nov 2020, 09:11 pm »
I have a Well Tempered square motor. The other day I realized I have a spare new bearing and spindle from when I purchased a black platter. It gave me the idea to DIY a turntable with this as the basis. My question is does anyone here know how to properly adjust the plastic grub screws of the bearing?
Thanks for any info you all might be able to provide.
Paul

Apesbrain

Re: Well Tempered bearing adjustment
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2020, 02:53 pm »
If oriented properly toward the motor spindle, they should not need adjustment.  Can you explain your application?

Whitespider

« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2020, 05:46 pm »
Although I personally have never adjusted the screws on my WTRP, this posting may be helpful.

Classic Platter Bearing Cup Removal

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=155497.0

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2020, 07:11 pm »
agree w comment above... not enough info provided by o.p. for anyone from afar to be of real help...

Muser_53

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2020, 05:20 pm »
I am not really sure what more info you all are looking for me to provide. I have a 2 piece bearing cup. Inner and outer sleeve and the teflon (?) bearings.
It is not assembled in that the bearings are unscrewed from the cup. I am simply wondering how you know when the plastic bearings are aligned properly.
Is it simply a question of the platter being parallel to the plinth when tensioned by the belt?

Vic

« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2020, 05:42 am »
Yes. if the plater is parallel to the plinth no grub screw adjustment is needed. Unless it was run without cup fluid for a long period of time it shouldn't need adjustment.

The black platter spindle may be a different size from the acrylic platter.

The link Whitspider provided describes what may needed to be done if the inner cup will not separate from the outer cup. The tolerance between the cups is high enough to create a considerable vacuum between the two.

If you're contemplating a DIY plinth the hole for the cup must be somewhat of a press fit to prevent the cup from spinning.
The dot on the top of the cups flange must be clocked directly at the motors spindle.

The cup holes on the bottom two layers of the Well Tempered plinth are slightly larger so as not to interfere with the cups relation to the upper press fit hole.

Muser_53

« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2020, 04:29 pm »
Vic,
Thank you. This is what I was unsure about and was hoping to find out. Looks like I have a new project for the coming year.
Paul