best sounding Opeth recordings?

Huck

best sounding Opeth recordings?
« on: 30 Mar 2023, 12:14 pm »
Hi:
I just heard "Damnation" album by Opeth and it sounds like a pretty good sounding recording.
What others titles by Opeth should I check out,with no death growls or yelling?. I am looking for excellent sonics and audiophile quality only,please.Thanks,Huck
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2023, 01:50 pm by Huck »

Mariusz Uszynski

Re: best sounding Opeth recordings?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2023, 12:51 pm »
I thought, we covered that topic few weeks ago, but what the hell..."Watershed" (2008) was their last death metal masterpiece.After that, the band leader, went for vesectomy, but accidentally got "neutered" instead.So, check "Heritage" (2011), "Pale Communion" (2014), "Sorceress" (2016) and "In Cauda Venenum" (2019).I know I know, we should be open minded about music, but that "change of heart" stabbed a lot of old loyal fans in the back.
Also, I highly recommend this link, if you want to find out anything about metal bands and their discographies.

https://www.metal-archives.com/

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2023, 01:18 pm »
Huck, I would like to suggest two metal albums, with vocalists that sound like James Hetfield (Metallica) in his prime.
"Amok" by Sentenced, released in 1995.
"Shadows Of The Dying Sun" by Insomnium, released in 2014.
Both bands hail from Finland.

Huck

« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2023, 01:41 pm »
Huck, I would like to suggest two metal albums, with vocalists that sound like James Hetfield (Metallica) in his prime.
"Amok" by Sentenced, released in 1995.
"Shadows Of The Dying Sun" by Insomnium, released in 2014.
Both bands hail from Finland.
Thanks,Huck

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2023, 02:05 pm »
"Watershed" (2008) was their last death metal masterpiece.After that, the band leader, went for vesectomy, but accidentally got "neutered" instead.

Hahaha, hilariously made my day!  Thanks!

Mariusz Uszynski

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2023, 02:20 pm »
Hahaha, hilariously made my day!  Thanks!

Well, no word of a lie.Ask any "true" Opeth fan, LOL.

kingdeezie

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2023, 07:16 pm »
To Bid You Fairwell (song) is a decent recording.

Most of Opeth's catalog isn't well recorded. I've listened to Damnation countless times. On a resolving system you start to hear how poorly the vocals are recorded. It sounds like Mikeal is too close to the mic.

Huck

« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2023, 07:49 pm »
To Bid You Fairwell (song) is a decent recording.

Most of Opeth's catalog isn't well recorded. I've listened to Damnation countless times. On a resolving system you start to hear how poorly the vocals are recorded. It sounds like Mikeal is too close to the mic.

I listened to Damnation last night via streaming with Amazon Unlimited and to be honest,it didn't sound too bad.
Funny how the sound quality can change from album to album.Just have to keep playing till you find something that sounds half descent.
I will check out that song (TBYF) tonight. Thanks,Huck

simoon

« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2023, 06:43 pm »
I thought, we covered that topic few weeks ago, but what the hell..."Watershed" (2008) was their last death metal masterpiece.After that, the band leader, went for vesectomy, but accidentally got "neutered" instead.So, check "Heritage" (2011), "Pale Communion" (2014), "Sorceress" (2016) and "In Cauda Venenum" (2019).I know I know, we should be open minded about music, but that "change of heart" stabbed a lot of old loyal fans in the back.
Also, I highly recommend this link, if you want to find out anything about metal bands and their discographies.

https://www.metal-archives.com/

Oh please...

I am am a fan of Opeth in their metal phase, and in their later prog phase. Well, in actuality, they were always a prog band, who also happened to have metal as part of their music.

I can tell you, from someone who was a prog fan long before I was an Opeth fan, I never approached them as a metal band, they were always a prog band to me, with metal elements. But prog has a long history of incorporating other, non-rock music into it. Prog bands have 20th century classical, jazz, folk, early music, etc, integrated into their music. Opeth also always had those too, but they also had metal as another source. They just decided to decrease the metal as a source, and increase most of the others

Åkerfeldt didn't get "neutered", he just modified the band's style, a bit, to fit his artistic vision. He stopped growling, and modified the settings on his guitar gear to make it sound less 'metal'. Big deal...

The music is just as well played, just as complex, just as loaded with emotional content, just as dynamic, just as challenging as it ever was.

Åkerfeldt fell in love with 70's progressive music. King Crimson, Genesis, Camel, Gentle Giant, and many other more obscure bands from Italy. Opeth were almost always just as much influenced by those bands, even when they were growling and more metal.

Åkerfeldt,

"By the time we did the very first record, I had personally moved away from consuming that type of music. I heard what was going on — like, I heard our peers, if you will — and I liked some of that stuff, too, but for my own influences, I was going back; I was listening to [music from] '70s, '60s.

All that being said, since you like Damnation, which is obviously, NOT a metal album, you should like Heritage, Pale Communion, Sorceress, and In Cauda Venenum quite a bit. None have growls.

These are all pretty classic sounding prog albums. Lots of Hammond, Mellotron, loads of changes and complexity, but they are also a bit more intense than Damnation.