Highlevel subwoofer connection

JackD

Re: Highlevel subwoofer connection
« Reply #20 on: 7 Mar 2019, 03:42 pm »
Try connecting the REL ground wire to the chassis ground screw on the rear of the amp or to ground on another piece of gear.

shektau6

« Reply #21 on: 7 Mar 2019, 05:58 pm »
The black (ground) wire is connecting to ST-10's ground output. ST-10 has it in the back panel. Not sure does the other models has it.

THe IDA-8 doesn't has the ground out like the ST-10. Can I use any chassis screw for ground (i see a big screw at the bottom of the chassis so I might try that).

Is it safe to the ground it the the electric ground output as well (we have UK type outlet) as I don't have other equipment nearby i can use...

Phil A

« Reply #22 on: 7 Mar 2019, 06:19 pm »
THe IDA-8 doesn't has the ground out like the ST-10. Can I use any chassis screw for ground (i see a big screw at the bottom of the chassis so I might try that).

Is it safe to the ground it the the electric ground output as well (we have UK type outlet) as I don't have other equipment nearby i can use...

Rel also offers this guidance - https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004649588-How-do-I-stop-my-subwoofer-from-humming-

While I didn't have a hum issue, I did connect in my main system (where I have a Class D amp) an unused RCA input on the preamp to the Rels.  The IDA-8 does have an analog input (unless you're using it).

shektau6

« Reply #23 on: 7 Mar 2019, 06:43 pm »
Rel also offers this guidance - https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004649588-How-do-I-stop-my-subwoofer-from-humming-

While I didn't have a hum issue, I did connect in my main system (where I have a Class D amp) an unused RCA input on the preamp to the Rels.  The IDA-8 does have an analog input (unless you're using it).

I already connect the LFE/.1 input to my soundbar so in theory it should have provided the ground it needs...

echim

« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2022, 11:32 am »
Greetings.

I am connecting Rel T7i on my NuPrime ST-10 amplifier.

How should I treat NuPrime St-10 ? As a class D amplifier? If so, Rel manual says that black wire of Neutrik high-level cable should stay isolated and not connected (https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486607-Class-D-Amp-Connection-Methods):

Some here on this thread claim they connected black wire of Neutrik high-level cable to ground on ST10 chassis:

@rustydogslim , do you know what is correct?

Many thanks.

rustydoglim

« Reply #25 on: 3 Dec 2022, 07:42 pm »
This issue has come up from time to time. We prefer you directly connect the source signal (if your DAC or preamp has dual outputs) to REL. In the "old days", amps have more distortion; therefore, REL advises using the amp's output to connect to the subwoofer to have the same sound characteristic. This is no longer necessary.

ST-10 has floating ground, we don't recommend connecting REL to the amp's output. But if you want to do that, follow REL's instructions. I think REL has added DC blocking capacitors in their subwoofer so it is safe to do so, but we still don't recommend it.