Got sucked back in

goldwolf

Got sucked back in
« on: 20 Sep 2021, 01:57 pm »
I was big into audio about 10-15 years ago and recently got sucked back in. Looking to build a modest system of separates. Just bought an Adcom 535 II and plan to recap it. Shopping for speakers and a preamp.

Phil A

Re: Got sucked back in
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2021, 06:13 pm »
Welcome to AC!

goldwolf

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2021, 06:19 pm »
Thanks! I was an AC member back then, but couldn't remember my login info!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2021, 06:58 pm »
Thanks! I was an AC member back then, but couldn't remember my login info!
Welcome to AC  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2021, 10:44 pm »
Welcome back to AC goldwolf     :thumb:

goldwolf

« Reply #5 on: 21 Sep 2021, 12:26 am »
Thanks all. Hopefully I won't spend all my money!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2021, 01:26 am »
Thanks all. Hopefully I won't spend all my money!
Well my solution to this prob was the motto Audio must be simple, Iam happy to use FR drivers for fidelity and purism, it offer lower price due less parts and labor than a regular speaker with xover, unfortunately we dont have anymore the Hemp Cones but even so today we live in a Golden Age of FR drivers with the Lii F15 and F18.
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-18-inch-full-range-speakers-superb-scale-soundstage-with-new-imaging-f-18/

If you dont need the big bass from a Bass Reflex box there is a F15 OB for sale in the Trading Circle>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178266.msg1875193#new

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 21 Sep 2021, 01:33 pm »
Went through a similar audio experience 25 years ago.  My downfall was the proliferation of the internet.  Fortunately I'm a fan of the small and simple.

goldwolf

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2021, 04:25 pm »
Well my solution to this prob was the motto Audio must be simple, Iam happy to use FR drivers for fidelity and purism, it offer lower price due less parts and labor than a regular speaker with xover, unfortunately we dont have anymore the Hemp Cones but even so today we live in a Golden Age of FR drivers with the Lii F15 and F18.
https://www.lii-audio.com/product/one-pair-18-inch-full-range-speakers-superb-scale-soundstage-with-new-imaging-f-18/

If you dont need the big bass from a Bass Reflex box there is a F15 OB for sale in the Trading Circle>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178266.msg1875193#new

Maybe coincidence or fate by I have been looking at the Omega's a lot recently, the Super 7 Mk ii's. That is about the size speaker I'm looking for. I have a JVC turntable from the 80's that seems pretty decent. A modded by me Toshiba SACD/DVDA player that is pretty good. Just got an Adcom 535 ii amp, that I may end up getting for free, binding posts got damaged during shipping.

I have experience with building a Bottlehead Crack and Also restoring a Heathkit preamp. I like tinkering. Looking to move up the Audio rung but looking for value. Don't need big bass. 

JL1ny

« Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2021, 02:27 am »
I was hot for Omega too, I have a near field set up which I’m told the Omegas are spectacular for. BUT then I had the opportunity to hear ProAc Response D2’s and I was blown away.