Unreal Tourney now in the Classics

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« on: 18 Aug 2003, 04:45 am »
I see that this game has been added to the $20 ea "Classics" series for the 'box.  I'd really like to try this, but on the DC you couldn't invert the axis, so I found it unplayable.  Wonder if you can invert on the 'box version?

bubba966

« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2003, 05:06 am »
Rob, do you have an EB in your area? I can't recall if you do or don't ('course everything is hard to recall at the moment. damn concussion... :evil: ). If so go pick it up there. If you don't like it return it within the 10 days they allow for returning games.

bob82274

« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2003, 05:09 am »
Just checked out a review on it and saw no mention of there not being the option so I think you are pretty safe.  I play it on the PC and let me tell ya get a bunch of people together and its a lot of fun (it doesn't hurt that I just kick their ass either  :guns: )

LordCloud

« Reply #3 on: 18 Aug 2003, 04:15 pm »
I also have a big problem with first person shooters that don't give you total control in customizing your controller options. I returned Soldier of Fortune after playing it for about one minute because I couldn't control it properly. But Unreal gives you basically full customization of your controls, and do make sure you get XBox live, otherwise you may get tired of it after you've beaten it a few times. I actually got the game when it was first released, but took it back not long after, only to re purchase it after I got XBox live. THe game is made for online play.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 18 Aug 2003, 05:39 pm »
I'll have to give it a try.  I dunno if I'm just a spaz, but I simply cannot play a game unless I can invert the axis! :lol:   It's like someone switching the clutch and brake pedals around in your car.

Even on DC, "Unreal Tournement" was a fantastic looking game.  An it will be hooked up to Xbox Live! 8)

Woodsea

« Reply #5 on: 18 Aug 2003, 09:31 pm »
Rob,
inverting the axis is the first thing I have done since Quake 1. I am all messed up if I don't do it as well :lol:

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2003, 12:42 am »
The console aim controllers are clumsy though compared to a mouse.

The pointing is not nearly as accurate.

Don't you guys agree?.....

LordCloud

« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2003, 01:54 pm »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
The console aim controllers are clumsy though compared to a mouse.

The pointing is not nearly as accurate.

Don't you guys agree?.....

I'm a console guy so I wouldn't be able to compare the two. But to me the XBox controller is just fine. And anyone you'll be playing against will also have a controller.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #8 on: 20 Aug 2003, 12:26 am »
Almost done with HALO again - this may have to be my next game!

MMMMMMM...HALO!

TheeeChosenOne

« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2003, 01:14 am »
DOA3 is also in the Classics.  MANY rate it better than Soul Caliber.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2003, 03:11 am »
Just my opinion, but DOA3 isn't a zit on the smooth curvaceous, er... on the ass of Soul Caliber!  At least not the original SC; I haven't seen a demo yet of the new one that was playable.  But obviously YMMV.

As for the mouse, I'm too much of a console guy, too.  I just can't get used to the mouse for gaming, not even for Diablo.  Of course if I'd cut my teeth on PC gaming it'd be a different story.  But I essentially never play any games on the PC whatsoever, no in years.

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2003, 06:31 am »
Quote from: Rob Babcock
As for the mouse, I'm too much of a console guy, too.  I just can't get used to the mouse for gaming, not even for Diablo.  Of course if I'd cut my teeth on PC gaming it'd be a different story.  But I essentially never play any games on the PC whatsoever, no in years.

Exactly where I'm at as well. Been console'in for 16 years now.

PC gaming is not happening for me as the PC doesn't have good input devices (joystick/controller/etc.). And you have to keep dumping so much $ into your PC to try to keep on top of things. And then hope it all works. Sure, now that games aren't run on DOS anymore you have less compatibility problems. But it's still not as easy as console gaming where you buy the latest system every 3-5 years and plug and play.

LordCloud

« Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2003, 10:03 pm »
I've played Soul Caliber, and while it is a great game I personally enjoy DOA 3 much better. Part of the reason is that I like hand to hand more than weapons based fighting much better. If you actually sit down and play DOA there is a lot of strategy to be found, it's alot more than just eye candy. But different strokes for different folks!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2003, 10:39 pm »
I agree DOA3 is a nice game, but I much prefer the weapons based approach of Soul Caliber.  I also like the controls better.  Hopefully SC2 will preserve the good elements of the original but ramp up the graphics/ looks.

For $20, though, certainly it's worth getting.  But I really don't care much for fighting games overall.  I'm more into your flight sim/mech warrior types and shooters.

My dream would be new Resident Evil games for the Xbox, maybe an RE type game w/a HALO-style engine.  That would rock.