Record Cleaning

WireNut

Record Cleaning
« on: 14 Oct 2018, 03:19 pm »
I'd love to have an RCM but this attached to my shop vac is working great.
It will actually pick the LP up and hold it in mid air.
Here's my cheap $0.50 DIY vacuum nozzle  :D.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Record Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2018, 03:33 pm »
That should do a pretty decent job.  :thumb:  I'd get two cheap chip paint brushes for fifty cents, cut the bristles back to 3/4", and whatever cleaning solution you prefer.  Use one brush to clean with solution, wipe with a cloth, use one brush with distilled water, and then vacuum.  It gets most the crude out into a towel, and the cover on the shop vac will stay clean much longer. 

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2018, 04:17 pm »
Thanks for the tip S Clark. I'll pick some up.
I'm really happy now that I can vacuum my LP's, it makes so much difference in my manual cleaning process.
The nozzle I made is really working out great and does not scratch the LP's.
McMaster-Carr sells some very soft felt with adhesive backing.

Here's some of the products/Items I've experimented with over the last year.
I can't tell you how much I've learned in the last year.
Tergitol 15-S-9, Tergitol 15-S-3, Triton-X100, ILford ILfotol, Virex256 for anti-static property, Distilled water, 91-99% IPA, misc oral syringes, paint pads, ect.

A lot of trial and error with mixers over the past year but I've finally found a favorite recipe for my manual cleaning regimen.

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2018, 04:30 pm »
cleanliness is next to Godliness ! who says alternative solutions can't be found, congrats !
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2018, 02:06 pm by twitch54 »

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2018, 07:24 pm »
That is a good solution for cleaning records, but I am too lazy and can’t put up with the noise of the Vac. So I just use a Loricraft PRC3, no faffing around and it’s quiet to boot.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2018, 01:26 am »
I use my 12 amp floor vacuum cleaner, I keep a brush attachment just for LPs. I shredded the nylon tips of the bristles years ago with emery paper. I have bought a lot of used LPs and the vac is really handy to suck off the surface dust.