Question about the Clarinet's dual ouputs...

Brinkman

Question about the Clarinet's dual ouputs...
« on: 19 Oct 2009, 11:28 pm »
So I'm contemplating a scenario where I'd be using both of the Clarinet's RCA-outs simultaneously; for instance, running one out to a power amplifier and the other out to a LP filter, then to a powered subwoofer.

I understand that the outputs are tied together so the voltage at each is equal, but I'm assuming it is the input impedances of my two loads that determines how the current divides between the outputs.

So what's a good rule of thumb if my power amp has an input impedance of 100K? Should the input impedance of the LP filter be the same or less? 75%? 50%? :scratch:

Also, what is the maximum length of cable the Clarinet can drive?

Thanks to anyone who can help out here.

Ben

tubesforever

Re: Question about the Clarinet's dual ouputs...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2009, 06:33 am »
I am not the one to check the math.  I hope Jim can flesh that out for you.

I can give you personal listening results. 

First, my Clarinet is wired with three outputs on the output tap.  One goes to a 25 ft cat 5 cable feeding my EMU 1212 digital capture card, one is a 5 meter stereo run to a Bedini 250MKII watt subwoofer amp with a 50k ohms input resistance and one to a 5 ft silver IC to my Bedini 150MKII which is also a 50K ohm input resistance. 

Jim has mentioned that the transfer function will resemble a slight J curve as the volume increases.  I can get to 90 to 110 dB without noticeable distortion. 

I love the Clarinet and highly recommend the unit.  I doubt you will have issues unless you are using low power in combination with low efficiency speakers.  Then all bets are off.

One word of recommendation to others....Play with the absolute phase on your amp.  With my Precision Fidelity and Bedini amps they seem to reverse phase so I don't need to swap the phase at the speaker output.  Some owners might need to do so with their own unique applications.

Cheers!

hagtech

« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2009, 07:25 pm »
There is no hard and fast rule regarding loading.  The CLARINET can drive two inputs easily or most equipment.  It is best to keep the parallel loading of the two above 20k ohms or so.  Long cables add capacitance, which rolls off the ultrasonic bandwidth.  You'll probably hear more sonic degradation due to cable dielectric long before you hear any loss of treble.  No feedback is used in the CLARINET so the extra capacitive load is not a stability issue.

jh

Bobzilla

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2009, 12:04 am »
 I'm presently using only one output, an 8" run of Mogami coax feeding a Sumo Delilah electronic crossover. (47K. impedance ...I think...) The sound is superb and still getting better.
 I temporally hooked my "Tape Monitor" output ( taken after the selector switch, before the volume control) to the input of a Teac AN-80 Dolby noise reduction unit. (listed at 35K. impedance) I lost quite a bit of volume. I can live with this result if it's a purely linear reduction of volume and not some bizarre frequency perversion. I can't say one way or the other right now as this test was only for a few seconds, heard from behind the equipment cabinet and frankly, I just wanted to know that the Clarinet was functioning properly.
 I then disconnected the Dolby and resumed listening in earnest to the Clarinet. It sounded SO satisfying, I haven't even moved the cabinet back or hooked the remainder of the equipment up.
 The Clarinet is one mighty fine line amp!!!     

Brinkman

« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2009, 04:24 pm »
Thanks everyone.

I thought there might be some industry rule I should be aware of before I spring for a pair of speakers that require subwoofer reinforcement. I suppose the Clarinet seemed too good to be true, so I expected a catch.

According to Jim H., both outputs need to be at least 40K ohm, or if one input is high impedance (like 100K ohm), the other needs to be at least 20K ohm.

The low-capacitance RCAs from Blue Jeans Cable are probably ideal for long runs from a line stage such as the Clarinet.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2009, 06:36 pm by Brinkman »