AKFest 2010?

Big Red Machine

Re: AKFest 2010?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Feb 2010, 10:07 pm »
Good restaurant recommendations near AKFest would be appreciated.

Thanks,
RL

There may be now or should be some on the AKFest website.  Downtown Northville has numerous local restaurants and pubs and is only about 3 miles max from the site.  Right down Haggerty there is a Champps and other restaurants like Buca de pepa (sp) less than 1 mile south of the site (7 Mile).  The Sheraton is on Haggerty just north of 8 Mile.
Farther south on Haggerty to the next mile marker at 6 Mile there is PF Chang, Flemings (steak), and others.  You will have more choices than available meals.

jd3s wife

« Reply #21 on: 14 Feb 2010, 03:16 pm »
My only mandate to JD3 for AKFest weekend is that he take me to Shield's Pizza for lunch or dinner!

Art_Chicago

« Reply #22 on: 15 Feb 2010, 03:38 am »
My only mandate to JD3 for AKFest weekend is that he take me to Shield's Pizza for lunch or dinner!

Madam!
You are very welcome to the circle  :thumb:

jd3s wife

« Reply #23 on: 29 Apr 2010, 09:38 pm »
 :wave: AKFest here we come!   :hyper:

mchuckp

« Reply #24 on: 29 Apr 2010, 11:05 pm »
This afternoon at work has been painful. I'm dying to get out of here. I feel like going home and going to bed just so I can get up and start my travels. 630am flight from Portland to Detroit. Be nice to do some audio Listenin' and chattin' with those who understand our obsession. :)

MaxCast

« Reply #25 on: 29 Apr 2010, 11:38 pm »
Hope to meet many of you guys at AKfest.  Should we try a Salk room nooner on Saturday?  We can give Frank and Jim a lunch break and we can set it up the way we think it should sound????  :P
Ware a AC shirt and put AudioCircle on your badge.

jd3s wife

« Reply #26 on: 2 May 2010, 12:28 am »
 :thumb: enjoying my first AKFest!   BTW, thanks to all who bought 50/50 tix today, I WON!!!!    :kiss:

pardales

« Reply #27 on: 2 May 2010, 01:11 am »
:thumb: enjoying my first AKFest!   BTW, thanks to all who bought 50/50 tix today, I WON!!!!    :kiss:

Congrats! Thanks for taking pictures.

It was a great AKFest today. Nicest venue yet. Met Maxcast, Chadh, Nicksgems10, BigRed, Salk, AVA, jd3, and a couple others. Nick took lots of pictures too. I did not bring a camera. Salk/AVA room was, again, one of the best for sure. The Songtowers driven by Frank's new Ultravalve and Vision front end was easily one of the best at the show.

HoosierInOhio

« Reply #28 on: 2 May 2010, 03:06 am »
Congrats! Thanks for taking pictures.

It was a great AKFest today. Nicest venue yet. Met Maxcast, Chadh, Nicksgems10, BigRed, Salk, AVA, jd3, and a couple others. Nick took lots of pictures too. I did not bring a camera. Salk/AVA room was, again, one of the best for sure. The Songtowers driven by Frank's new Ultravalve and Vision front end was easily one of the best at the show.

How were the HT2-TL's :eyebrows:

krikor

• Initiative comes to those who wait.
    • AudioSnoop.com
« Reply #29 on: 2 May 2010, 03:39 am »
Couple more photos:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #30 on: 2 May 2010, 04:55 am »
Thanks for the pics krikor   :thumb:

catastrofe

• "That's what credit cards are for. . ."
« Reply #31 on: 2 May 2010, 11:29 am »
Couple more photos:

You know, in these photos the larger damping layer actually looks pretty good.

jermmd

« Reply #32 on: 2 May 2010, 12:24 pm »
What a shine on those speakers! I agree, the damping layer isn't unsightly at all in those photos. It looks blacker than on the pictures that Jim posted. The more I see of those high end Salks, the more I like them. I really hope the sound is consistent with the price. I know that the voicing will be to my tastes. I love Dennis Murphy's crossover work.
« Last Edit: 2 May 2010, 02:56 pm by jermmd »

Big Red Machine

« Reply #33 on: 2 May 2010, 01:21 pm »
What a shine on those speakers! I agree, the damping layer isn't unsightly at all in those photos. It looks blacker that on the pictures that Jim posted. The more I see of those high end Salks, the more I like them. I really hope the sound is consistent with the price. I know that the voicing will be to my tastes. I love Dennis Murphy's crossover work.

The damping layer was wrapped in a black cloth by one of the companies in the same building Jim's shop is in.

fsimms

« Reply #34 on: 2 May 2010, 01:21 pm »
I really hope the sound is consistent with the price.

If that is your hope, then I am sorry that you will be disappointed.  After hours of searching, comparable speakers go for $26k minimum.  That is giving the competition the benefit of the doubt.  That cheapest speaker is the Coincident Pure Reference Extreme.  Nobody has posted a picture of it yet.

http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/whatsnew.html

The nearest speakers that I have personally heard are the $33k Kharma CRM 3.2.2 at the RMAF with MBL (50k?) electronics.  It didn't have any bass.  That was just a quick listen though.  It sounded "Magical", like the SS10, with a similar quality of sound.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/images/P1013045.jpg

All the comparable speakers can’t run open baffle, which is a significant improvement. IMHO

Bob
« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2010, 05:01 pm by fsimms »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #35 on: 2 May 2010, 02:07 pm »
If that is your hope, then I am sorry that you will be disappointed.  After hours of searching, comparable speakers go for $26k minimum.  That is giving the competition the benefit of the doubt.  That cheapest speaker is the Coincident Pure Reference Extreme.  Nobody has posted a picture of it yet.

http://www.coincidentspeaker.com/whatsnew.html

The nearest speakers that I have personally heard are the $33k Karma CRM 3.2.2 at the RMAF with MBL (50k?) electronics.  It didn't have any bass.  That was just a quick listen though.  It sounded "Magical", like the SS10, with a similar quality of sound.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue39/images/P1013045.jpg

All the comparable speakers can’t run open baffle, which is a significant improvement. IMHO

Bob

Quite a claim Bob. 

I hope I get a chance to hear the SoundScape at some point in the future. 

The SoundScape at AKFest sure looks nice.  I much prefer this veneer to the red paint job that was used in the prototype.

George

nicksgem10s

« Reply #36 on: 2 May 2010, 02:41 pm »
Quite a claim Bob. 

I hope I get a chance to hear the SoundScape at some point in the future. 

The SoundScape at AKFest sure looks nice.  I much prefer this veneer to the red paint job that was used in the prototype.

George

George and others not at the show,

This cocobolo veneer is one of Jim's finest efforts.  I am going to try to get some photos later today to illustrate how gorgeous these are in person.  I doubt I will be able to do them justice.

Having said that they sound even more impressive than they look.  Jim, Dennis, and Salk team have a major success on their hands. 

I will be posting more later after I get back from the show.  This is definitely the best AKfest yet.

Hope to meet a few more AC people today.   :thumb:

-Nick

fsimms

« Reply #37 on: 2 May 2010, 02:52 pm »
Quite a claim Bob.

That was just my quick first impressions.  I won't be able to say for sure until I get them in my condo and spend some quality time with them.

Bob

Edit:  To be fair, I should give the Soundscapes a knock.  The are not as efficient as most of the competion and so will need bigger amps.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #38 on: 2 May 2010, 02:53 pm »
How do the SoundScapes sound at AKFest compared to RMAF?

That type of feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

George

roscoeiii

« Reply #39 on: 2 May 2010, 04:07 pm »
Agreed that the Soundscapes were a highlight of the show. Jim was also most kind to let me linger a little after closing time to listen further, since I had to hit the road last night. Yes they will require some serious power. IIRC, they were being driven by a 330 watts/channel AVA amp. Great sound.

Other highlights were the Audio Note speakers, Harbeths, and Fritz speakers.

Blown away by what Fritz's speakers offered for the money. That room was really dialed in with bpape's treatments, and sounded mighty good.