Choice of Amp for new SongTowers

Alexdad54

Re: Choice of Amp for new SongTowers
« Reply #40 on: 8 Sep 2009, 11:22 pm »
Yep, that's the one but the price has doubled since yesterday so even if the Super Pas 3 holds at $300 for the next 3 days at that price (fat chance!), for the same $600 (i.e. with the AVA upgrade), I could also get a Mapletree Ultra 4SE, no upgrading needed.

Edit: I have the feeling that it's time to get on with it but I have one last question to the kind folks here that have been very helpful (not to say very tolerant as well!)...

Without having been able to actually hear any of them, it finally seems that the Mapletree Ultra 4SE and the  TAD-150 are the front runners, with perhaps the Audible Illusions (2D?) or CJ PV-5/Premier 3 as alternative options that can offer me the right combination of elements that I believe I'm looking for; warmth, detail, deep and accurate bass and musicality.
My question to all is whether there any obvious front-runners in that grouping?

« Last Edit: 9 Sep 2009, 03:08 am by Alexdad54 »

Rocket

« Reply #41 on: 9 Sep 2009, 04:52 am »
Hi,

My advice to you before you lay down your hard earned cash is to listen to these products before you purchase anything.

A long time ago I bought an amplifier based on many good reviews (the product was even given a class a rating by stereophile) only to find that it didn't match my system at all.  There was one negative review and that persons opinion was correct.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Regards

Rod

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #42 on: 9 Sep 2009, 05:18 am »
Don't overlook customer service.  I don't know about the other manufacturer's customer service, but I know that both Jim and Frank take care of their customers.  Frank will repair 30 year old equipment.  There are few things more disheartening than spending good money on equipment that doesn't work and/or may never work.

Alexdad54

« Reply #43 on: 9 Sep 2009, 11:38 am »
Hi,

My advice to you before you lay down your hard earned cash is to listen to these products before you purchase anything.

A long time ago I bought an amplifier based on many good reviews (the product was even given a class a rating by stereophile) only to find that it didn't match my system at all.  There was one negative review and that persons opinion was correct.

Best of luck with your purchase.

Regards

Rod

I appreciate your comment Rod, believe me, if I could, I would.
Unfortunately there is nowhere in my area (Philly) where I can audition either a Mapletree, any CJ (in my price range), AVA or a TAD. It will have to be a bit of a leap in the dark but that said, I did take that leap with the ST's and am very happy with them . They came after I had auditioned over 20 types of floorstanding speakers as well as Maggies...

Rocket

« Reply #44 on: 9 Sep 2009, 12:51 pm »
Hi,

I hope I didn't come over a bit strong in my post but I've been stung in the past and it really does hurt when you purchase a dud component.  Remember whenever you post for advice on the internet its really only a subjective opinion that your getting.

Btw I shipped Salk Sound HT2's from the US to Australia and I'm really rapped with their sound quality.  Jim highly recommends Van Alstine but I haven't heard his gear and I can't comment any further.

Are there any audiophile clubs that you can go to that is located near Philadelphia?  They might have gear that you can recommend.

Regards

Rod

K Shep

« Reply #45 on: 9 Sep 2009, 01:52 pm »
Hi,

Rod

I appreciate your comment Rod, believe me, if I could, I would.
Unfortunately there is nowhere in my area (Philly) where I can audition either a Mapletree, any CJ (in my price range), AVA or a TAD. It will have to be a bit of a leap in the dark but that said, I did take that leap with the ST's and am very happy with them . They came after I had auditioned over 20 types of floorstanding speakers as well as Maggies...

Dave,

The good news is your looking for a preamp on the used market.  If you find you are unhappy with the preformance of a preamp you buy, you may put the component back on Agon and usually turn it quickly.  Also purchasing used gear will allow you to, perhaps, try 2 preamps at the same time and sell the one you least enjoy.  I suggest pulling the trigger, getting used to your new speakers with a good preamp, saving funds and improving the next weakest link.

Kirk

Alexdad54

« Reply #46 on: 14 Sep 2009, 03:08 pm »
Well, although some might doubt my sanity ( :lol:) I decided that , as I had superb speakers on my hands, I might as well go whole hog and get a superb pre so I pulled the trigger on a "September Special" on the Mapletree website for an Ultra 4A SE (comes with phono and 3 inputs) and I'm looking forward to its arrival later this week. It will be matched with the latest grover Huuffman IC's, and a new power cord for the B&K amp (still figuring that one out!)

Still working on placement for the Song towers but I wanted to at least remark that when I played the MFSL CD of Marley's "Exodus", the bass was phenomenal!
Deep, detailed and warm.
If this gets any better, my toying with the idea of adding a sub may be irrelevant....

Nuance

« Reply #47 on: 14 Sep 2009, 04:02 pm »
Great news.  You're gonna have one heckuva system once everything arrives.  Enjoy!