SS8 to SS12?

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
SS8 to SS12?
« on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:21 am »
Hello All,
I am a happy Salk SS8 owner since February this year. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading to the SS12's in my two channel
room. Currently I enjoy the wide soundstage and the smoothness from top to bottom. I would; however, like to feel more low end (move more air in the room) which I think would be the ticket with the SS12s. I would like to know the differences that I would notice by moving up to these, so I can weigh the cost to performance. The other option is to add a sub or two, which, as a purist, I really do not want to do.. Any info is appreciated. Thanks, Pete

Austin08

Re: SS8 to SS12?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:32 am »
I hear u. I was in the same situation and what I do is adding dual core 2.0 and a pair of Rythmik subs. Problem solved.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:39 am »
Purchase a mic, soundcard, download free copy of REW or HOLM and purchase 3-4 subs and integrate them properly and be done.  That is the most pure way to do it.

Freo-1

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:46 am »
Purchase a mic, soundcard, download free copy of REW or HOLM and purchase 3-4 subs and integrate them properly and be done.  That is the most pure way to do it.
Would start with a pair of SVS SB13 Ultra subs.  IMHO, the BEST sub available for music at a reasonable price point.  Ring SVS, and ask to speak to Ed Mullins.  He knows his stuff.   Also, check into HT Shack website.  They have a LOT of information on sub integration.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:52 am »
Would start with a pair of SVS SB13 Ultra subs.  IMHO, the BEST sub available for music at a reasonable price point.  Ring SVS, and ask to speak to Ed Mullins.  He knows his stuff.   Also, check into HT Shack website.  They have a LOT of information on sub integration.

ALL the info needed is on this website (AudioCircle).   There is no need to get anywhere else.  Multiple subs are the way to go.  And when I say multiple, more than 2.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:58 am »
ALL the info needed is on this website (AudioCircle).   There is no need to get anywhere else.  Multiple subs are the way to go.  And when I say multiple, more than 2.
Disagree.  There is a lot of good information here, but stating that all the required information is here is just a bit excessive.  It certainly could not hurt the OP to check out other sites.  I know for a fact HT Shack has additional data not here. 

Having said that, the OP may or may not need more than two subs.  It certainly makes some sense to start with two and see.  Also, SVS can analyze your in room measurements and provide some excellent feedback.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2013, 02:03 am »
Disagree. 

Of course you do.  I wouldn't expect anything else.  :thumb:

PMAT

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2013, 02:49 am »
Super nice room by the way. How about the SS12's AND multiple subs big boy  :eyebrows:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2013, 03:32 am »
Or just go totally decadent and use the SS8s for the surrounds :o

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2013, 05:36 am »
Thanks for the replies...
Wow, so the consensous is to use subs..I wonder...would I need to use a crossover and limit the bass on the SS8s and send to the subs? To me, that would kind of defeat the purpose of spending 8 grand on a full range speaker...maybe I should have gotten monitors and subs... :?

I have room behind the false front wall for subs...That's an option..It would be cheaper than ungrading to ss12s and trying to sell the SS8s...No SS8s as surrounds for me !!!!

I have a Cary Audio SLP 03 tube preamp with both balanced and RCA outputs. If I used two subs, could I send the full range signal through RCAs to the subs and use the balanced for full range to the SS8s then use the crossover to the subs to blend into the SS8s? Does that sound right?

I looked into the Dual Core...It sounds promising...SS12s and subs sounds like it would be overkill in my room. The SPL would likely blow the door of the room, not to mention my eardrums...I'm just looking for a way of getting more punch in low end, but in a way that I'm not sure about using all the crossover/phase/REW computer tuning etc...It seems complicated,,,,

Austin08

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:01 am »

I looked into the Dual Core...It sounds promising...SS12s and subs sounds like it would be overkill in my room. The SPL would likely blow the door of the room, not to mention my eardrums...I'm just looking for a way of getting more punch in low end, but in a way that I'm not sure about using all the crossover/phase/REW computer tuning etc...It seems complicated,,,,

I use dual core with dual rythmik sub. XLR out to my amp, RCA out to dual sub. Since the SS8 bass was impressive down to mid 20hz,  I ran dual core as 2.0 that way dual core will see my system as full range speaker and adjust itself accordingly. (I use build in crossover of my subs at 60 hz) try dual core as .2 mode but prefer the 2.0 set up. Result is excellent, the bass line got a lot more punch and weight.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2013, 06:48 am »
I use dual core with dual rythmik sub. XLR out to my amp, RCA out to dual sub. Since the SS8 bass was impressive down to mid 20hz,  I ran dual core as 2.0 that way dual core will see my system as full range speaker and adjust itself accordingly. (I use build in crossover of my subs at 60 hz) try dual core as .2 mode but prefer the 2.0 set up. Result is excellent, the bass line got a lot more punch and weight.

Ok I'm intrigued. I will look deeper into that. I think I can fit two 12 inch subs behind the front wall. I will kick that dual core and two sub option.

Gzerro

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2013, 11:26 am »

Austin

I have a similar setup with 2 Salk rythmiks (but just STs for mains) and have been looking at the dual core.

In your configuration how do you set the high-pass on your SS8s?

If you use the low pass on the subs to 60Hz but run the SS8s full range, it would seem you would be "doubling up" the 20hz to 60hz range?

Freo-1

« Reply #13 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:03 pm »
Of course you do.  I wouldn't expect anything else.  :thumb:

No worries, mate!  This is audio after all, and it's not as if there is only one way to achieve nirvana.   ;)
There is a prevailing opinion that it is best to run the monitor speakers full range, and employ the subs to integrate with that in mind.  Many feel that passive high pass crossovers do more damage than good to the signal, so best to just run the speaker full range, and integrate the sub(s) accordingly.

Mudslide

« Reply #14 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:15 pm »
Pete,

If this is 2-channel setup for music but within a surround sound HT, which is what the photo looks like, I'd definitely look to add subs for the HT application.  'You are there' explosions beg for power.  And one listens to a film audio track without the same critical intent as with music. 

But for music, nothing beats a fully integrated output from a speaker made by Jim and voiced by Dennis.  A sub, even well integrated with REW or whatever, will never offer as clean a sound.  And having heard the 12's in an HT room quite similar to yours (14'x21')....OH MAN!!  It was nearly a religious experience for me the first time I heard it.  Pure bliss and accuracy from bottom to top...no sub need apply.  I haven't heard the 8's, so I can't compare.  But those whopper woofers in the SS12's blow a bit of air!

So...if your application is dual purpose...HT and 2-channel, there is a bit of a dilemma.  Fortunately most modern pre's and receivers (I'm not sure what you're using) have the ability to go to Pure Direct with the push of a remote's button.  Voila...from 7.2 to 2.0.

At least that's my 2 cents worth...and it may not be worth that much.   :D

Austin08

« Reply #15 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:20 pm »
Austin

I have a similar setup with 2 Salk rythmiks (but just STs for mains) and have been looking at the dual core.

In your configuration how do you set the high-pass on your SS8s?

If you use the low pass on the subs to 60Hz but run the SS8s full range, it would seem you would be "doubling up" the 20hz to 60hz range?

I just ran the SS8 full range. I set my DC at 2.0 mode so DC will see and treat my sub and my SS8 as one unit. Man, it did an excellent job here or maybe my hearing is not as good as the other but in my own experience, I hardly notice any double bass. Even when I am standing at 3 feet infront of my speaker and my sub, I still have a hard time to distinguished the bass between the sub and my mains. Funny thing is I sometime has to touch my sub to make sure it was on. (My subs is next to my main in the two front corners). I have to give some credit to Rythmik sub, they produce a very clean, fast and well control bass. All that quality help the subs blend in with my mains beautifully.

Austin08

« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2013, 01:45 pm »
Pete,

If this is 2-channel setup for music but within a surround sound HT, which is what the photo looks like, I'd definitely look to add subs for the HT application.  'You are there' explosions beg for power.  And one listens to a film audio track without the same critical intent as with music. 

But for music, nothing beats a fully integrated output from a speaker made by Jim and voiced by Dennis.  A sub, even well integrated with REW or whatever, will never offer as clean a sound.  And having heard the 12's in an HT room quite similar to yours (14'x21')....OH MAN!!  It was nearly a religious experience for me the first time I heard it.  Pure bliss and accuracy from bottom to top...no sub need apply.  I haven't heard the 8's, so I can't compare.  But those whopper woofers in the SS12's blow a bit of air!

So...if your application is dual purpose...HT and 2-channel, there is a bit of a dilemma.  Fortunately most modern pre's and receivers (I'm not sure what you're using) have the ability to go to Pure Direct with the push of a remote's button.  Voila...from 7.2 to 2.0.

At least that's my 2 cents worth...and it may not be worth that much.   :D

The SS8 doesn't need sub. They are quite a performer in lower region. They has enough punch and weight to stand on its own ( even give some subs a run for money) and I bet their bass will satisfy many Philes. But for something as grand as Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture or a powerfull double drum set of Joe Bonamassa at Royal Albert Hall in London, the benefit of adding more weight and punch from the sub/subs is stunning.

JonnyFive

« Reply #17 on: 9 Aug 2013, 02:24 pm »

This.  In fact, since cost doesn't appear to be a problem...I'd get quad SB13's in a heartbeat.   

IMO with such a nice speaker in the ss8, it doesn't make sense to completely swap them out for SS12s just to get a little more low end extension, when this is better done by a dedicated subwoofer.  In addition, you may find improved clarity in the SS8's lower end by taking some of the low-end duties off of them and placing it onto a subwoofer. 

Big Red Machine

« Reply #18 on: 9 Aug 2013, 02:27 pm »
You should ping Jim after this weekend's travel in SF to see how he sets up his little HT set up in his domicile.

I was very happy with ST's and subs in my HT just because it was only for HT use and the top end was carried by the ST's and the bottom by the subs for the movie impact.

For dual use rooms, go with the speaker you like for audio and then supplement with subs for movie use.  My opinion.

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #19 on: 9 Aug 2013, 04:55 pm »
Pete

what amp are you using?

I have the SS10s, haven't heard the SS8s but comparing to the HT3s
the isolation of each driver in the SS10 SS12s is very tangible
the dispersion of the RAAL in it's small enclosure gives very wide dispersion and it disappears in the room.

that said the SS8 is really the ideal speaker in the Salk line

if you add a sub for extra air
I would consider the JL Audio Fathom F113
read the reviews
very musical, incredibly dynamic and small footprint
I use just one in my HT setup and it is stunning
you might find the Fathom and your SS8s pure magic