YIIIIPEEE!

Doc Jr 8156

YIIIIPEEE!
« on: 20 Nov 2003, 04:47 pm »
Finally.  After installing the right valued caps (47uF) on my Cornet at C2, C4, and C-10;  my Cornet is now hum-free.  I really learned a valuable lesson of checking parts first before installing them.  I also want to take this opportunity to thank all my felllow Audiocircle members who helped me in my quest to eliminate this hum.  To GRD, Mike G and theint,  thank you very much guys for putting up with me.  Your advice were greatly appreciated.  To Jim H.,  I apologize, I almost lost faith.

The Cornet is now singing.  Beautiful.  This phono pre is really good.  Right out the bat, with only an hour of break-in, it trounced my Monolithic Phono with upgraded power supply from my system.  Its a good match with the DIY Lundahl step-up transformer that I did.  I also want to plug another one of Jim's product,  the Fry Kleaner.  The Fry Kleaner is an amazing device.  Sweep your system for 24 hours and you will not beleive the improvement you will hear.  I tried it on my cheapest interconnect (maybe about $10 for the meter pair) for 36 hours.  Maybe its just me but when I compared this IC to my Acoustic Zen MKII, Bogdan Silvers and Groneberg Reference Quattro for my TT, guess which one I'm now using.  Its that good.   Happy Listening to everyone.  Go build a FryKleaner!

GRD

YIIIIPEEE!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2003, 08:56 pm »
Congratulations!   Good to hear.

All the best,

GRD

mgalusha

YIIIIPEEE!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2003, 12:07 am »
Nice to hear that you have it working correctly Doc. With the 4.7uF caps the AC ripple must have been pretty bad, which would certainly make it hum.  It's always nice when a DIY project is up and running. Getting the bugs out can be a PITA sometimes.

I had a similar experiece with Digikey. I was trying to order some 15K resistors and clicked the box for 1.5K parts. I thought they had sent the wrong parts until I went back and checked my original order. I had ordered the wrong ones.  :oops:  Fortuntely I didn't install the wrong ones but I sure didn't like ordering replacements.

Mike G.