Cornet built in UK

Tone Deaf

Cornet built in UK
« on: 31 Oct 2003, 12:53 pm »
Hi to all.
Perhaps there's enough pictures of completed Cornets by now, but just in case, here's my effort that I built this summer:

Chassis is made of very thick copper that was lying round the local steel fabricator's workshop.  Woodwork is mahogany, offcuts from victorian shop counter that I used for worktop in the kitchen!   The idea was to make something to match my turntable (Linn LP12) but when the mahogany & copper came together it looked, sort of, retro-ish!  So I left the patina on the wood & didn't bother routing the grooves.

Electronics came together without incident & it worked first time. It sounded pretty good even from cold, but it's gorgeous now it's run in. I wanted it to sit end-on, so sockets are on left corner behind the transfomer.  I ran shielded cables inside copper pipe, but there was a slight hum to start with.   I think this was down to EMI from where the input cable passed near the t/x.  Input is now on a flying lead while I work out a way to fix properly.  Any suggestions more than welcome!

For any other potential UK builders, equivalent parts (apart from the t/x, valves & bases) can be had from Radio Spares & Farnell.  The Musicaps came from Wilmslow Audio, valves from Watford Valve.  Import duty is payable on the circuit board (£14), and the t/x as well if you import it (£10).  As a rough guide to UK imported price, for dollars read pounds.  This project has cost me about £270 all-in (but chassis was free) but you could do it cheaper.  

Sounds terrific, & I love it.  And great fun making it as well.

Tone Deaf

Cornet built in UK
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2003, 12:56 pm »
Doh.  Pictures didn't work.
Very sorry - they're in the audiocircle gallery (bottom of page 12) for anyone who's interested.

Tone Deaf

Pictures
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2003, 02:52 pm »

Cracked it this time.

Double Ugly

Cornet built in UK
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2003, 02:56 pm »
Beautiful work.  Very well done.

DU

RogueAngel

Cornet built in UK
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2003, 03:26 pm »
Looks very nice.

Bobbi

mgalusha

Cornet built in UK
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2003, 08:04 pm »
That is beautiful! I love the copper and mahogany combination. I have been thinking about a new chassis for mine using copper and maple. It's currently housed in one of JH's aluminum chassis and while not bad, I would like something a bit nicer.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Mike G.

GRD

Cornet built in UK
« Reply #6 on: 5 Nov 2003, 12:05 am »
There can't be too many pictures.  I'm in the process of building one and I learn a lot from the postings and especially the pictures.  Beautiful work.  Thanks for posting.

GRD

EDS_

Cornet built in UK
« Reply #7 on: 5 Nov 2003, 04:37 pm »
TD

You should be proud of your work.

Very nice!