VSAC 2003

hagtech

VSAC 2003
« on: 9 Oct 2003, 07:31 pm »
Finally recovered from the awesome Vacuum Tube State of the Art Conference 2003 in Silverdale, WA.  This was a Bottlehead show with promotion by Welborne.  I must say, these guys did a great job putting it together.

I'm not sure what the total attendance was, but our room was stuffed four deep most of the time.  Lots of interest out there in tube equipment, tables, & horns.  I shared a room with Bent Audio and Galibier turntables.  John and Thom are some of the nicest and most sincere guys you could ever hope to do business with.  

A couple of room photos, I had my VacuTrace on display (nothing like tube curves in real-time to start a conversation) along with the guts of a Trumpet and Cornet.  The poster had several of my kits demonstrating a burn-in with my FryKleaner.

On the other side of the room was John getting ready to cue up Holly Cole.  That's Thom's signature table running a Shelter 501.  Bent had a nice assortment of components; the most interesting for me was a motorized controller for the DACT attenuator.  Yeah, I'll make room for this in my upcoming "Clarinet" linestage kit.  Also generating a lot of interest is his new ultrasonic LP cleaner.

A fun show.  And it didn't stop at night.  Hanging out with everyone, especially customers was the highlight for me.  

Several show reports online, a very complete one at 6 moons,

http://www.6moons.com

and

http://www.enjoythemusic.com

jh :)

tianguis

Re: VSAC 2003
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2003, 08:17 pm »
Jim:
     It was a real pleasure meeting you, talking about this and that and hoisting a few!
     I've got a close-up of the Octal Cornet chassis with S&B's which I can post with your approval.

Regards,
Larry Welsh

Tubedude

Octal Cornet at VSAC
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2003, 03:49 am »
Nice meeting you at VSAC Sunday, Jim. I've started ordering parts for my Cornet kit.
I took a close look at the Octal Cornet you had. I would like to build my kit using the larger tubes. Will the stock transformer work, 6v/12v? What else needs done? Do you have a tips page with this infromation?
Thanks Dan

pretzel_logic

Tubedude
« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2003, 11:52 am »
Go to page 2 of the hagtech circle.  There is a discussion of the Octal and Jim also has a link to the schematic and parts list.  

Brian

Tubedude

Thank you Brian!
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2003, 03:19 pm »
I didn’t notice a second page until you pointed it out Brian, thanks!  :oops:
Yep, that’s the gorgeous red octal Cornet I saw at VSAC. Photos of the Bugle and Cornet don’t nearly do them justice.
I will be building my Cornet to the octal tube configuration.