HA-10 headphone amp

Theo

HA-10 headphone amp
« on: 28 Sep 2007, 12:22 am »
Hey Jim,

Your HA-10 prototype looks hot.  Maybe we should have a vote on faceplate colors among members here?  I prefer black with white lettering.

Here is a related question to the HA-10.  Which headphones are you using as reference when designing the HA-10?  What make and models of headphones do you recommend with it?

hagtech

Re: HA-10 headphone amp
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2007, 05:11 pm »
I'm designing it to work with any of the good hi-fi headphones (except for the 8-ohm Sony).  That's why there are two output jacks.  The "LO" impedance drives Grados, and the "HI" is for Sennheisers.  They come from different taps on the secondary.

Mostly I have been testing with the Grados, as it is the more difficult of the two.  I have a pair of HD600s on the way.

jh

Theo

« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:31 pm »
I'm designing it to work with any of the good hi-fi headphones (except for the 8-ohm Sony).  That's why there are two output jacks.  The "LO" impedance drives Grados, and the "HI" is for Sennheisers.  They come from different taps on the secondary.

Mostly I have been testing with the Grados, as it is the more difficult of the two.  I have a pair of HD600s on the way.

jh
Great!  HA-10 sounds like a perfect piece for my setup.  I use both Senn-600 and Grado-SR80.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2007, 10:45 pm »
Where are the pictures? Im interested I mostly use DT-880 250 ohm and DT-770 600 ohm Beyerdynamic

BradJudy

« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2007, 01:25 am »

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2007, 04:02 am »
What's that puppy gonna cost, any idea yet?

riffer

« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2007, 12:15 pm »
Does anyone know the dimensions with tube in place (WXDXH)?

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2007, 06:00 pm »
Chassis is about 10x10x4 inches.  The 6H30 adds another inch or two.  Price for a half-kit will likely be $99.

jh

PatOMalley

• This text is personal
    • http://home.comcast.net/~omaille/audio/home.html
« Reply #8 on: 1 Oct 2007, 11:49 am »
I just got a new iron. I will be queuing up.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 1 Oct 2007, 12:12 pm »
Jim,

Gorgeous. Simply Gorgeous. I would get an assortment of color panels out so that we can mix and match. Green with white lettering, or Deep Cobalt Blue with white lettering or Red with white lettering, etc...

Projected cost for the kit?

Anand.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 1 Oct 2007, 01:17 pm »
I think this will sell very well. A tube headphone amp that isn't ridiculously expensive? Puh-LEEZ.

analog97

« Reply #11 on: 1 Oct 2007, 03:42 pm »
Let me be the first pre-order.  :D I only have 2 reasons for hesitation. First, I'd like the JH chassis.  I like the logo, etc.  I also think that our famous "factory" should have their logo displayed.  Jim, can you provide decals that do this in the 1/2 kit or maybe you could include in the 1/2 kit a front panel?  Maybe the whole case?  Second, I don't understand that 6H30 tube and am having trouble finding one.  There seems to be a lot of confusion about it.  Maybe I just don't get something. :roll:

BradJudy

« Reply #12 on: 1 Oct 2007, 04:14 pm »
That looks like it could be a Front Panel Express panel.  If so, perhaps Jim could provide the corresponding file and the DIY crowd could order a panel in their choice of color.  If not, it wouldn't be hard to create a FPE file for this layout (with the exception of the Hagtech logo). 

At first glance I thought that was an ATI-737U case, but it looks like it's a Hammond 1402KV ($61 from Mouser.com). 

randytsuch

« Reply #13 on: 1 Oct 2007, 06:13 pm »
Second, I don't understand that 6H30 tube and am having trouble finding one.  There seems to be a lot of confusion about it.  Maybe I just don't get something. :roll:

Is this it?
http://www.thetubestore.com/6h30types.html

Note that in when dealing with Russion tubes, I think the Russion h translates to n.  Somethink like that, so n and h seem to be used interchangably when dealing with Russion tube numbers, which creates some  confusion.

Looks like an interesing project, but I already have too many uncompleted projects.  Still, may try this out in the future.

Randy

analog97

« Reply #14 on: 1 Oct 2007, 09:30 pm »
Randy,

The info you posted illustrates my confusion about the 6H30 tube.  Oh, well...I'm sure Jim will make clear which one to get. :?

randytsuch

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2007, 12:08 am »
Randy,

The info you posted illustrates my confusion about the 6H30 tube.  Oh, well...I'm sure Jim will make clear which one to get. :?

Hi
Not sure what you are confused about  :scratch:

Looks like the first one is a premium (more expensive version) tube, while the one at the bottom is their standard tube.

Data sheet here
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/show.php?des=6H30

Randy

ecir38

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2007, 07:46 pm »
I'm not big on flashy electronics but I think the red panel with the yellow would be spot on as your wife suggested. Red and yellow just go great together, blue and yellow would probably work too. I'm sure seeing in person will give a differant perspective also. What ever color combination you go with wouldn't matter, it looks to be a winner :thumb: 

hagtech

« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2007, 11:19 pm »
I'll make a half-kit version of the panels available as a file (sans logo).  Anyone can then order their own.  Expensive, but a great way to get superb looking panels cut to high accuracy.  They'll probably run $110 or so for the pair. 

The chassis is the $60 one from Mouser.  It comes with thin panels that you could cut yourself.

jh

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2007, 06:07 pm »
Whats up with this is it production yet?

Theo

« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2007, 06:26 pm »
Whats up with this is it production yet?

I'm too eagerly waiting for its availability.  Jim had mentioned in his daily blogs several times that this kit will be available in December this year.