Bugle2 has static and popping noise

ohseedee

Bugle2 has static and popping noise
« on: 23 May 2014, 06:40 am »
I just finished building my Bugle2. I hooked it up and there is a tone of static and popping noises (audio input connected or not). The right channel seems to be the worst. Expect the static/popping, the music seems to sound OK. I went over every solder a few times and I don't see anything that stands out as a problem. Any thoughts on what I should check? Thanks.

poty

Re: Bugle2 has static and popping noise
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2014, 12:03 pm »
As usual - try to eliminate the external sources first:
1. Is there the noise when the Bugle is switched off (including disconnecting the adapter from the mains)?
2. How the noise changes while you are unpluging the Bugle from the mains?

Try to use another interconnect too.

ohseedee

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2014, 03:46 pm »
I'm getting a little different results today. I'm no longer getting a crackling/static sound, but I'm now getting various sounding tones or low long beeps (like a dial tone or something you would hear from a phone). I only hear these tones with the volume up pretty high. The tones come out on both left and right channels. I do not hear anything when the power is off. Having the turn table connected or not via the input makes no difference. I've tried various interconnects and no difference. I even tried a separate headphone amp and no difference. The tones remain playing through speakers or headphones.

The music does sound fine at low to medium volumes.

Thanks for any assistance.

ohseedee

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2014, 03:51 pm »
I also just noticed that the tones remain on a given channel even if I turn that channel off via the balance knob on my amp. The sounds does fad a bit on that channel, but its still there. If I unplug one of the channels the sounds do stop on that channel (remain on the other channel).

ohseedee

« Reply #4 on: 26 May 2014, 03:18 am »
I just found out that moving the Bugle2 makes the noise better or worse. I can turn it in my hand and hear the tones increase or decrease. Right now I have the Bugle2 away on a shelf under my other equipment (about 2 feet away) and although the noises are still there they are slight. Any ideas? Thanks.

poty

« Reply #5 on: 26 May 2014, 06:48 pm »
Any ideas? Thanks.
Bugle 2 takes a tiny signal and it is very important that all is well in this regards (shielded interconnects and all solder joints inside). As far as the case is not steel there can be some EMI influence from outside too. I think it is normal in this circumstancies.
Could you unplug the Bugle 2 from the mains and listen how the noise is fading (abruptly or with some degree of continuity)?
I'd check also the first loading resistors R2 in case of MM or R23 in case of MC (by the way - what is in your case?).

hagtech

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jun 2014, 07:10 pm »
It could be WiFi interference.  Placement of the BUGLE2 can make a difference next to other pieces of equipment.

jh