Dead Cornet II

Grinnell

Dead Cornet II
« on: 5 Jan 2014, 07:52 pm »
So I left my cornet on for a few days when i went out of town.  Came back and noticed the switch was on but the led and tubes not lit up.  Any ideas?  I wonder if the rectifier is dead/died.  I didn't build this :( but the guy who did was very good :)

i looked inside no loose wires or burnt/melted caps.

unplugged and replugged power cord/tubes-nothing.  I dont have a spare rectifier so can't test that tube

Thanks

poty

Re: Dead Cornet II
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jan 2014, 08:07 pm »
Fuse? Transformer? They are the only "common" circuits. The rectifier is only feed the hi-voltage section, the heaters are supplied from other circuit.

Grinnell

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jan 2014, 08:16 pm »
thanks

Grinnell

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jan 2014, 09:29 pm »
I replaced the fuse and watched it warm up.  As the led went from Red to Green the rectifier started sparking.

any idea if this indicates transformer or rectifier or something else?  not good with a meter here :)

poty

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jan 2014, 09:41 pm »
Sparkling rectifier? Well... It seems (a) tube(s) go(es) bad. I'd change all of them at once. But better to ask somebody with minimal electronic knowledge to inspect the device.
If you like: try to power up the device without any tube, only with rectifier, with rectifier and the 12AU7 AND 12AX7 (V201)... It is possible that something wrong with the electrolytic capacitors, then powering the device only with the rectifier will reveal the problem. If the sparkling begins only in the second case - the problem is either in the tubes or in the CCS (Q200). I don't know how to diagnose this without a meter.

Grinnell

« Reply #5 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:05 pm »
Thanks

is there a Hagerman tech out there?

galyons

« Reply #6 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:31 pm »
Thanks

is there a Hagerman tech out there?

Yes....but more importantly....where are you and the phono amp?  If you can't do basic diagnosis with a DMM, better to take it to someone who can.

Cheers,
Geary

Grinnell

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jan 2014, 10:32 pm »
i can't do basic diagnosis  i'm in Colorado but dont mind shipping it to someone who works on these

galyons

« Reply #8 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:06 am »
i can't do basic diagnosis  i'm in Colorado but dont mind shipping it to someone who works on these

Unless Jim Hagerman built the unit, it is strictly DIY.  Any competent DIY'er or tube tech should be able to sort the issue. Jim H. may also be willing, but he lives in Hawaii.

Cheers,
Geary

hagtech

« Reply #9 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:40 am »
Try a spare rectifier tube first.  It's good news if you can at least get the red LED to start with.

jh

Grinnell

« Reply #10 on: 6 Jan 2014, 12:57 am »
Thanks Jim

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: 7 Jan 2014, 11:09 pm »
Grinnell,

If you're still having trouble, I'm willing to have a look but it appears you are in Greeley and I'm between Parker and Elizabeth, so it would be one hell of a drive, you'd need a picnic basket. I'd guess a 1.5 hour drive. Then again I'm an hour from most in Denver as well. :)

PM or email me if you wish to discuss.

mike

Grinnell

« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2014, 07:04 pm »
Thanks Mike,  and Jim,

Just got a new Sovtek Rectifier and it seems to be fine.  Listening to my test record, Zappa's Apostrophe, sounds fine.  If I have any problems I may take you up on that offer.  Always need a good reason to get out of Greeley :)

Just a quick question.  Any possible collateral damage from a bad rectifier?  Anything to be on the lookout for?

mgalusha

« Reply #13 on: 10 Jan 2014, 07:14 pm »
Just a quick question.  Any possible collateral damage from a bad rectifier?  Anything to be on the lookout for?

Great to hear it's working.

I have seen one kill the series resistors (r101/r102) between the transformer and the rectifier tube but since it's working they are likely fine.