vacutrace for FET tracing?

©

vacutrace for FET tracing?
« on: 18 Jan 2013, 07:52 am »
hi

i have a bunch of 2SK3536 that i intend to use as source followers to drive output tubes and i'd like to trace their drain characteristics (data sheet: http://www.classiccmp.org/rtellason/transdata/2sk3563.pdf).

in particular i'm interested to see at which Vds the curve flattens and if there is a kink in the curve

can i use my vacutrace to trace these FETs? do i need to add stoppers to gate or source?

thx for advice!

hagtech

Re: vacutrace for FET tracing?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2013, 01:52 am »
No it won't.  That is an enhancement mode N channel FET.  The VACUTRACE will only do depletion mode types (like a typical JFET).  The reason for this is that the gate drive is negative only.

jh

©

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:25 am »
hi jim,

thanks for your reply. long time no hear... :-)

so the vacutrace *will* trace depletion mode FETs like the DN2540? (my favorite for current sources.)

to trace say a DN2540, do i simply connect gate = grid, drain = plate, source = cathode? would you recommend adding gate and source resistors? aside from heatsinking the FET, what other precautions do you recommend? i don't want the vacutrace go up in smoke...

(i still have the adapter board with dual ZIF sockets that i used to match ceramic planar triodes mounted on IC sockets. i'll rewire and use them for the FETs)

christian

hagtech

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2013, 08:05 pm »
It should work.  Use a nice high grid stopper like 1k or more.  Yes, your connections are correct.

jh