Modwright preamp sound ?

bunkertoy

Modwright preamp sound ?
« on: 18 Dec 2023, 06:58 pm »
Hi Modwright community,

I was just browsing a nice new product from Modwright. The LS 99 tube preamp. Can't find many reviews on this product yet.

I'm in love with tube preamps paired with solid state amplifiers. I currently own a VTL 2.5 tube pre. I'm looking for a good preamp with balanced ins/outs.
This Modwright LS99 really ticks all the boxes. Really like the external power supply too.

So my question is, can anyone give me a decent description of the "Modwright sound" ? I understand that's a difficult question to answer for any product, but many manufacturers tend to have a house sound.
I've heard nothing but great things about Modwright making quality gear. Anyway if someone has any experience with the new LS99 I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions etc....
All the best.

Zuman

Re: Modwright preamp sound ?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2023, 04:22 am »
I don't have a separate Modwright preamp, but I have a Modwright KWH 225i integrated amp (which has a tube input section) and also a Modwright PH9.0XT phono stage.
Im my system, I'd characterize the "Modwright Sound" as authoritative and muscular. The low end, particularly, is extended and extremely well-controlled.
This "authority" also helps locate instruments firmly in place within the sound stage.
Compared with my previous NAD Masters M32 integrated amp and Simaudio Moon phono stage, the Modwright pair sounds fuller and more powerful. It's not just a "tube sound," but a hard-to-describe sense of "filling the room and precisely delivering the sounds of instruments and voices."
I have no idea if the Modwright preamp would carry this effect over to your system, however.

billc

« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2023, 05:54 am »
I recommend that you give Dan at Modwright a call. He is a great guy, a straight shooter, easy to talk to, and knows the sound of this very new pre-amp better than anyone. I have had the LS 36.5 (tube) w separate power supply for many years and I am still dazzled by its clarity, transparency, and musicality.  Dan might also be able to point you to a recent or upcoming review. 

Bones13

« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2023, 12:02 pm »
I found my audio bliss adding the ModWright LS 300 to my solid state system. I was using the preamp function of my DAC. There just that something missing. I also needed all the balanced connectors.

To set the stage, I’m a 64 year old boomer who developed musical tastes in the 70, via my dad’s tubed McIntosh system.

The tubed ModWright pre-amp added that bit of something. The music is a bit more “alive” and “present”. The ModWright sound is not thick, syrupy, or too warm. Nor is it dry and clinical. I would say the needle is just a wee bit on the warm side on neutral. More importantly it puts some life into the music. I’m very happy with mine.

Contact Dan, he is great to talk to, and hopefully can assist you in decision making.

qdrone

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2023, 06:01 pm »
Call Dan. Nuff said.

bunkertoy

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2023, 09:52 pm »
Thanks for the input, I would hate to call Dan as I'm just kicking tires at the moment and don't want to waste his time.
This is a newer product, I'm sure there will be more opinions online soon. I'm eying, VTL 5.5, Cary slp-05 & Modwright LS99. It's difficult to audition equipment. Once again this input is very helpful.
Thanks for indulging me.
Cheers