cheap 12v linear power supply

OzarkTom

cheap 12v linear power supply
« on: 27 Apr 2014, 01:45 am »
If anyone here is using 12v audio components with their wall wart in their system, try one of the Ten Tec 937 or Astron SL11A linear power supplies instead. These can be had used for about 40-50 bucks on Ebay, new Astrons run a little over 100 bucks and up. I have compared these to the $500 King Rex power supply and no contest. The Astron easily beats the King Rex. Astron actually made the Ten Tec, so either one is cheap and cheerful. 

Astron also makes variable power supplies that you can adjust from 0-30vdc. A new one of these is $170.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-004766

I am currently running the 9v IFI Itube in my system and Astron has said that they can make a 9vdc version for $115. That will no doubt be my next audio purchase.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: cheap 12v linear power supply
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2014, 02:04 am »
I built one of these from BHL.

OzarkTom

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2014, 02:43 am »

Have you compared it to one of these Astron RS20M?

Linear DC Supply 13.6vdc 20 amps with Meters
* Output Voltage: 13.8 VDC (+/- 0.05 V) Internally Adjustable (11-15 V)

* Continuous Amperage Output 16 Amps

* ICS (Surge) Amperage Output 20 Amps

* Solid State Electronically Regulated

* Fold-Back Current Limiting- Protects Power Supply from Excessive Current & Continuous Shorted Output

* Ripple Less than 5 mV Peak to Peak Full Load and Low Line

* Maintain Regulation & Low Ripple at Low Line Input Voltage

* Three Conductor Power Cord

* With Volt and Amp Meters

* One Year Warranty- Made in USA

* Dimensions : 5" (H) x 9" (W) x 10.5" D

* Shipping Weight : 18 Lbs
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm by OzarkTom »

Davey

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2014, 04:38 pm »
You need a 20 amp power supply to run a few gadgets?  :)
That's complete overkill.

The little unit linked by JT looks excellent, but there are dozens of fine options for this application.

Dave.

rodge827

« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:07 pm »

The little unit linked by JT looks excellent, but there are dozens of fine options for this application.

Dave.

Yes 20A is complete overkill as is dedicated 20a circuits for most audio gear, Class A amps excluded.
The Astron units are dirt cheap compared to other boutique "audiophile" linear power supplies available, and are plug and play. All you have to do is make a cable, which is very easy and inexpensive to do.

But if you are into DIY the one JT mentioned would be fun to build. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:19 pm »
Here are some crappy pics.

There's not much to it.  Very easy to do.  I changed one resistor and used a different transformer for 12Vdc output. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:21 pm »

Dave.

Astron makes all kinds of power supplies, even 7 amp. I and some others here have used high amp, 24-32, batteries before, I have even seen Danny mentioning him using 100 amp batteries. I have always been a huge fan of batteries, but my 12v, 11 amp Ten Tec sounds better than my 12v, 24 amp battery.

I hate to eat my words, but batteries now takes a backseat to these Astron power supplies in my system. If these had "audiophile" written all over them, no doubt they would cost $500 or more. Don't let these cheap prices sway you from trying one. Buy a used one and if it does not sound better on your system, put it back up on Ebay and resell it.

The one JT mentions is 18vdc, not so good for 12v components. Maybe it can be stepped down to 12v. Plus you have to add the cost of a transformer and case to the project. Astron's will be cheaper and you don't have to put it together.

OzarkTom

« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:25 pm »
Nice work JT, maybe JT can offer some a service hear and build some of these power supplies for us.

JT, how much?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:41 pm »
JT, how much?
BHL PS $69
Transformer & Enclosure $75.51
Fuse Holder $2
Neutrik NAC3MPA $4

Then add the output connector of choice, cable and Neutrik NAC3FCA.  I could certainly give all part #'s if you were interested in building one.  I might build another at some point.  I built this one to replace the switcher wall wart for my Bent Audio TAP. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #9 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:53 pm »
BHL PS $69
Transformer & Enclosure $75.51
Fuse Holder $2
Neutrik NAC3MPA $4

Then add the output connector of choice, cable and Neutrik NAC3FCA.  I could certainly give all part #'s if you were interested in building one.  I might build another at some point.  I built this one to replace the switcher wall wart for my Bent Audio TAP.

Not so cheap after that. The 11amp SL11A and R are going for about $40-50 on Ebay including shipping. New, those run about $95 including shipping at hamradio.com.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: 27 Apr 2014, 05:58 pm »
Not so cheap after that. The 11amp SL11A and R are going for about $40-50 on Ebay including shipping. New, those run about $95 including shipping at hamradio.com.
What are you using it for exactly?  The issue that I have with these general use benchtop power supplies is that they're not great.  I used to use them at work in the lab all the time.  Until I built my own.   :D   The issue at work is that when logging at really high rates it's really easy to see the noise.  However, if you're not using them for mission critcal point of your system, they're probably just fine and adequate. I feel that for the money, what I did is perfect.  I have a Teddy Pardo unit here too.  It's on the shelf.  I'm trying to organize to get the Pardo and my BHL unit measured. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #11 on: 27 Apr 2014, 06:10 pm »
What are you using it for exactly?  The issue that I have with these general use benchtop power supplies is that they're not great.  I used to use them at work in the lab all the time.  Until I built my own.   :D   The issue at work is that when logging at really high rates it's really easy to see the noise.  However, if you're not using them for mission critcal point of your system, they're probably just fine and adequate. I feel that for the money, what I did is perfect.  I have a Teddy Pardo unit here too.  It's on the shelf.  I'm trying to organize to get the Pardo and my BHL unit measured.

I have been using this on my TBI Millenia amp for the last several months. I was at my buddy;s house and he had one of these sitting in his closet and just for the fun of it hooked it up in place of his battery supply on his TBI. We about fell over, much more information and larger soundstage than the battery. Then we hooked up a $500 King Rex PSU and no contest, the Ten Tec was much better. This is just no ordinary power supply.

So I bought one and tried it at my house, same improvement over the battery. I believe rodge827 here is now experimenting these on other components as well. Maybe he can pipe in with his comments on what he is hearing.

Brad

« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2014, 01:45 am »

What are you using for the power supply cable?   I just built one of the Boozhound supplies to power phono stage and crossovers.
I like the Neutrik XLRs for distributing the power.  Still looking at enclosures too.

Plenty of room when stuffing the board, plus clear instructions, so don't be afraid to try this one. 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: 28 Apr 2014, 02:03 am »
What are you using for the power supply cable?   
Mil Spec cable.  two conductor, silver plated shielded.  Proper stuff. 

I like the Neutrik XLRs for distributing the power.  Still looking at enclosures too.
I used Switchcraft locking plug the chassis. 

rodge827

« Reply #14 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:45 am »
I have been using this on my TBI Millenia amp for the last several months. I was at my buddy;s house and he had one of these sitting in his closet and just for the fun of it hooked it up in place of his battery supply on his TBI. We about fell over, much more information and larger soundstage than the battery. Then we hooked up a $500 King Rex PSU and no contest, the Ten Tec was much better. This is just no ordinary power supply.

So I bought one and tried it at my house, same improvement over the battery. I believe rodge827 here is now experimenting these on other components as well. Maybe he can pipe in with his comments on what he is hearing.

I have the Ten Tec 937 on a TBI Millenia and an Astron 11A on a Dspeaker Dual core 2.0. Tomorrow I'm putting in an order for an Astron 11A modded to 9vdc for use on an iFi iTube, and hope to have it by weeks end.
Before the 937/11A  ps's I was using a custom battery ps with what I thought were very good results. OzarkTom had mentioned that he uses the 937 so I gave it a try and I'm glad I did. Immediately I noticed a huge difference in sound quality that is so substantial I had to get another one for the Dual Core. For the last two weeks my system has sounded the best it ever has with a much blacker background, deeper and wider sound stage, and detail in spades.
I was listening to Bill Evans "Waltz For Debby" the other night and there I was in the Village Vanguard enjoying a masterful performance. The people in the room were going about their business as Bill, Scott, and Paul did their thing. Everything was in its own space with Paul brushing away Scott walking along, and Bill weaving notes like a fine silk cloth maker. 
Tommy Emmanuel  "Center Stage" was up next and WOW! I have listened to this disc countless times and it was like I was listening to it all over again. Every pluck, pick, strum, knock, breath, creek, and those special nuances that can only come from a live performance were there and then some. Tommy does a lot of drumming and scratching on his guitar to enhance his playing. The last track on disc 1 is "Mombasa" where Tommy lets it all out, and for the first time it sounded as it did when I saw him live 6th row center.
I could go on with a long list of other music like SRV, Kebmo, Yoyo Ma, Little Feat, The Alman Brothers, Jeff Beck, Al DiMeola,....with the same descriptions.
With the addition of the 937 and 11A my music took on new life, its amazing how much information there is on redbook CD's.

Chris

OzarkTom

« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm »
I just placed my order for an 11A switched to 9v.:D

jonbee

« Reply #16 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:50 pm »
I have been using this on my TBI Millenia amp for the last several months.
I bought one for $40 w/ shipping on ebay for my Millenia. Indeed, a nice improvement at a great price.

kebhuh

« Reply #17 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:53 pm »
What is the best/preferred way to connect a 'finished' tpa3116 to a Ten Tec 937, given the iec receptacle at the amp and the terminals at the psu?

roscoeiii

« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2014, 03:59 pm »
I bought one for $40 w/ shipping on ebay for my Millenia. Indeed, a nice improvement at a great price.

Guessing you preferred it to the PSU you just sold to me?

I have some less audio-focused uses I can put the one I got from you to. But am curious if you compared them and what differences you observed.

OzarkTom

« Reply #19 on: 28 Apr 2014, 04:05 pm »
What is the best/preferred way to connect a 'finished' tpa3116 to a Ten Tec 937, given the iec receptacle at the amp and the terminals at the psu?

These power supplies has positive and negative binding posts like an amp has.