Uh oh. Amp-off with the V's

MichaelHiFi

Re: Uh oh. Amp-off with the V's
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jun 2012, 03:46 pm »
It was the wife's birthday yesterday so I took her out to dinner. Since it was her night she wanted to work on isolation on the Joule amps. What wife wants to work on isolation for audio equipment for big fun?  :scratch:

That meant reconfiguring the audio stand(s). We have these Adona rack stands which cost us dearly from a company that largely sucks. I mean, you'll call them because hardware is missing or you'll need some parts and they'll simply never show up. Today I'm going to get a little evil with them.

I digress. We have 2 big platforms, one was for the Pass amp and one for the turntable. The turntable just lost it's isolation platform, not that it isolated much - granite over some not so fancy substrate on BDR cones. I'm not going to tell you how much better it sounds. No way to AB with sound that already sounds quite good. Tubes are tubes and they do not like vibration! That is easily distinguishable. The Torii is no longer part of the picture  :|

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jun 2012, 05:50 pm »
Does she have an unmarried sister?

Cheeseboy

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jun 2012, 10:05 pm »
Michael,
Yes, mine is Music Box.
So if you know anybody who wants to buy those VZN100, let me know.

Thanks,

What are you asking for them?  I was able to hear them at Michaels with the Super V's.  I would think they could really light up a pair of LS6. 

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:58 am »
In any of the amp swapping at Michael's, did Cheeseboy's DAC amp ever get connected to the Super-V?  If so any impressions?  Thanks!

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2012, 03:20 am »
If you're serious then we can talk via phone. :)
What are you asking for them?  I was able to hear them at Michaels with the Super V's.  I would think they could really light up a pair of LS6.

morganc

« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2012, 04:14 am »
In any of the amp swapping at Michael's, did Cheeseboy's DAC amp ever get connected to the Super-V?  If so any impressions?  Thanks!

It didn't make it the day I was there with Steve and Michael.   The Torii from Decware sounded amazing to me, until we put the Joule Electa's on, and then Pure Magic!!!  There was a loud hum that Michael has since tamed.......

Cheeseboy

« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:26 pm »
I really should have brought the Cherry from DAC.  I thought it would have too much power for the Super V.  That will teach me about thinking for myself.  The Joules sound what I felt the Cherry would have sounded on the Super V's.  I'll have to run the amp down there soon.  I'm really curious myself. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2012, 05:27 pm »
If you're serious then we can talk via phone. :)

I just curious.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2012, 10:02 pm »
Working with the output voltage of the variac and resonance. Looking towards new frontiers with the Joules. Special amp no doubt.

We set them up on Adona racks and added Lena's resonance control ball from Acoustic revive (I think). Playing with bias and feedback these amps can be tailored like the toriii without the tube rolling costs although they do have some tube rolling possibilities with the stock 6DJ8's.  :duh:

Need some audiophile ears! Calling all ears - bwappp! bwappp!  :fishing:

The real issue is with vinyl. The Rythmic's just don't want to play with my vinyl. The subs go into seizure whenever I start turning up the sound. SUCKS! Why why why  :?

gprro

« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2012, 10:08 pm »

The real issue is with vinyl. The Rythmic's just don't want to play with my vinyl. The subs go into seizure whenever I start turning up the sound. SUCKS! Why why why  :?

Rumble probably? Don't the rythmic amps have a subsonic cutoff/protection. Try turning those on or to a higher frequency.

Danny Richie

« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2012, 11:13 pm »
You can control that low frequency issue on by turning on the rumble filter. If that doesn't completely do it for you then stat moving the extension filter back from 14Hz to the 20Hz setting.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #31 on: 30 Jun 2012, 12:47 am »

Need some audiophile ears! Calling all ears - bwappp! bwappp!  :fishing:

Cleaning my ears now.  They are old ears.  Not the best.  That didn't happen before the Joule right?  The Tori was fine. 

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #32 on: 30 Jun 2012, 02:55 am »
I see.

It's less than $10K.
I just curious.

Cheeseboy

« Reply #33 on: 3 Jul 2012, 09:42 pm »
Thats bigger than a bread box full of money right?   Thanks.  I'll stick with my DAC Cherry.  Which I really need to plug into Michaels system for a reference. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #34 on: 3 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm »
Thats bigger than a bread box full of money right?   Thanks.  I'll stick with my DAC Cherry.  Which I really need to plug into Michaels system for a reference.

(hope you're still kicking yourself for not taking it down for the last GTG)  :green:

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #35 on: 4 Jul 2012, 11:58 pm »

...You played that music in the middle of the night...
yes
...to get us to the laboratory.
yes
...I said, there is a possibility of electrocution! Do you understand?

Igor slowly turns the dial upward...
MUSIC! WE HAVE MUSIIIC!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:

SoCalWJS

« Reply #36 on: 5 Jul 2012, 12:22 am »
Ahhh, Young Frahnkenshteen, a classic - so many great lines and scenes.  :thumb: