Sony SSCS5 Upgrade

mkrawcz

Sony SSCS5 Upgrade
« on: 26 Jun 2022, 01:46 pm »
A few weeks ago, I happened to see that the Sony SSCS5s were on sale for $113 on Amazon (now they are $228), so I bought them. I saw Danny's upgrade video on them and the measurements were really impressive, so I got the upgrade for them.  I listened to the stock speakers for about a week while waiting for the kit. The moment I heard the stock speakers for the first time, I could tell what the upgrade was going to do to these speakers. Stock, they sounded really good for the price and it was like they were being held back from their potential. Sure enough, upgrade completed, these things sound impressive. They image as good as any boxed speaker I've heard. The detail and soundstage are about as good as it gets for a speaker this size. With all soft driver material, they always sound very natural. If you can get them at a low price, these are definitely a speaker worth buying just to upgrade.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Sony SSCS5 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2022, 03:01 pm »
I bought them for $113 too!  Thanks to thecheapaudioman.  I haven’t cracked them open yet because life keeps happening and I’m still getting settled into a new place.  I also noticed the upgrade kit price went up since the video came out which I wasn’t prepared for.  I’ll get to it eventually. 

I appreciate the pics of your work.  Nicely done!

mkrawcz

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2022, 04:59 pm »
I bought them for $113 too!  Thanks to thecheapaudioman.  I haven’t cracked them open yet because life keeps happening and I’m still getting settled into a new place.  I also noticed the upgrade kit price went up since the video came out which I wasn’t prepared for.  I’ll get to it eventually. 

I appreciate the pics of your work.  Nicely done!
Thanks! You're going to love those speakers, they're a real stunner.   

DAY4201

« Reply #3 on: 1 Jul 2022, 05:01 pm »
Nice work! Very neat. I found a pair for $88 at Best Buy at the end of December 2001. I too was impressed with the sound of the stock speaker but was interested in seeing how much better it could sound.  I ordered the update kit in January 2022. As it was the first crossover I had ever built I had some difficulty but received a lot of help from E-Zee and Hobbs. Very grateful to both. I was able to mount the woofer section across the back bottom. I was a little tight but worked out. I had to remove some of the bracing to fit it. I later added more bracing and No-Rez plus fiber glass.

I mounted the tweeter section much like you but I made a small shelf to help secure it. I also added tube connectors and upgraded the existing binding posts with ones I purchased from Parts Express. I replaced the only ferrous metal part on the replacement biding post (a washer) with a nylon one. I split the wiring to the tube connectors and binding posts be able to use one of the other. I did it partly to test to my ears if the tubes connectors were better. I would say they were but I think for this pair of speakers the binding posts are good also.  My photo was taken before the No-Rez and the wiring for the binding post was added.

I think the kit was a good value considering the improvement in sound quality over the stock speakers plus the addition of the No-Rez and tube connectors. 

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jul 2022, 06:20 pm »
Right now, I am listening to this setup: Sony CS5 ->GR Research GK10 prototype ->Holo Spring3KTE w/preamp -> Ifi Zen Steam. These speakers really are a force to be reckoned with.

mkrawcz

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2022, 12:55 pm »
Did another Sony upgrade and thought I’d share the new crossovers. Came out a lot cleaner this time and man do these speaker sound good.

Onionhead

« Reply #6 on: 18 Feb 2023, 02:09 pm »
Nice work organizing the crossovers. Your pics have me thinking I can get this project off the shelf and completed.

IchibanKnifeFan

« Reply #7 on: 14 Sep 2023, 06:48 pm »
New to Audio Circle here......

I'm in the process of doing the GR Research upgrade to my Sony CS5 speakers.

What are the opinions on how much No-Rez to use on the internal walls? Use all that Danny supplies, or is there an optimum amount?

Thanks in advance.

mkrawcz

« Reply #8 on: 15 Sep 2023, 01:02 pm »
New to Audio Circle here......

I'm in the process of doing the GR Research upgrade to my Sony CS5 speakers.

What are the opinions on how much No-Rez to use on the internal walls? Use all that Danny supplies, or is there an optimum amount?

Thanks in advance.
The only place you can really fit it is on the side walls. You will need to leave about 1 inch of space free from the front baffle so that the foam is away from the woofer.

BrandonB

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2023, 01:19 pm »
Right now, I am listening to this setup: Sony CS5 ->GR Research GK10 prototype ->Holo Spring3KTE w/preamp -> Ifi Zen Steam. These speakers really are a force to be reckoned with.

I see you have the holo spring 3 dac with preamp.  How do you like it?  I have been looking at that.

mkrawcz

« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2023, 01:39 pm »
I see you have the holo spring 3 dac with preamp.  How do you like it?  I have been looking at that.
It’s really good but I think the Gustard R26 is better.

BrandonB

« Reply #11 on: 15 Sep 2023, 09:45 pm »
It’s really good but I think the Gustard R26 is better.

Have you listened to the Gustard to compare?

mkrawcz

« Reply #12 on: 15 Sep 2023, 10:37 pm »
Have you listened to the Gustard to compare?
I own a Gustard R26. I find it to have a wider and deeper soundstage than the Holo. Not by much but I prefer listening to the Gustard over the Holo which is a little irritating considering its half the price.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2023, 07:42 pm »
HA!…. :lol: 

“Used / Like New”  :popcorn:

jmimac351

« Reply #14 on: 30 Sep 2023, 10:54 pm »
They are definitely going to put me in jail!!!

Wilson Audio Duette w/ Stands - $15,695 (Retail 2012)

Sony SS-CS5 - "Used / Like New" Amazon $66.36 (arrived in original packaging)
24" Stands - Neighbor Curb Alert "FREE" (need to assemble 28" Monolith stands, will raise speaker to ear level, but vertical response of these is good by measurement, especially after upgrade)

SVS SB16-Ultra subs (dual) Sony SS-CS5 crossover settings per SVS setup tool: 60Hz, 12dB/octave slope

They are so good right now (a little honk / shout every now and then)... no question to get the upgrade from Danny.  This is even before installing 100Hz high pass filter into Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amp.

HOLY COW!

« Last Edit: 2 Oct 2023, 12:03 am by jmimac351 »

jmimac351

« Reply #15 on: 2 Oct 2023, 12:00 am »
The 28" Monolith stands are perfect for my seating height.  You can see how they sit relative to what Wilson thinks is a good height.

jmimac351

« Reply #16 on: 2 Oct 2023, 12:48 am »
Pre-Upgrade... Stock vs Stock... Look at a few of the hot spots between the Duette and the SS-CS5.  I suspect this is why people are impressed with the Sony "out of the box".  It's tipped up @1k.  Look at some of the peaks / valleys with the Duette... known for being "resolving" - which they are.  It's also tipped up there.  The Duette will rip your face off if not setup right.

With subwoofers on, I bet I could convince you the Wilsons are playing - if you weren't already very familiar with their "house sound".  Subwoofers can make you forget other things are missing, and if you don't have subs - you are missing out! With the subs off, the Sony speakers do not get it done, compared to the Duette.

If the scaling of these graphs were the same I think visual would be more prominent.  Hmm... it looks like the Wilson may have a few of the same "issues" the SS-CS5 does.  Maybe I should ask a guy about that.  Maybe I'm a moron.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #17 on: 2 Oct 2023, 12:54 am »
Clearly you need to send one of your Wilson’s in for Danny to set straight.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #18 on: 2 Oct 2023, 04:12 am »
Clearly you need to send one of your Wilson’s in for Danny to set straight.

jmimac351

« Reply #19 on: 2 Oct 2023, 02:15 pm »
Between shipping the crates / stand boxes from Arizona to Florida, and shipping a different, heavy speaker to and back from Danny, I've spent ~$1,000 in shipping over the past few months.  I'm a little shipping cost weary right now.  I'd be happy to send a Duette to Danny...however...

Ima need about tree-fiddy... Three Hundred and Fifty Dollars.

Actually, I've looked up the cost and as I recall it's about $145 each way.