« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:13 am »

Got 'em ! Love 'em !

Get 'em !   :thumb:

D.

JakeJ

Re: PFO PMC FB1i Review
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2011, 09:33 am »
mvwhiting_83,

What is the "Signature Limited Edition" of the FB1i as compared to the standard? Also please post a pic of your system, if possible.

TIA,
JakeJ

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:20 pm »
Thanks for posting.

I've been a transmission line (TL) fan since hearing the Irving M. (Bud) Fried Model H (coffin) stereo passive woofer speaker in the 70s.  Bud was working with the BBC prior to this and so probably helped to "cross pollenate" with Peter Thomas.  Back then TL design was strictly by trial and error, but now we have the seminal work of Augsberger and King that produced an AutoMath application that can be used to properly develop virtually any speaker design.

I'm glad to see that the review covered many of advantages of TL, but disappointed at the PMC prices.  TL just isn't that hard/expensive to build, in fact the only speakers I ever built were a pair of 6 cu. ft. Fried TL woofer cabinets (which Bud warned would be too big for nearly any domestic environment and he was right).  For the past 6 years I've enjoyed Bob Brines' FTA-2000 speakers that utilitize the "mighty" Fostex F200A full range driver (which by itself is rated 30 - 20,000 Hz, 8 ohm, 90 dB/w/m).  A year ago I had another Bud, Bud Purvine (inventor of the Ground Enhancers) treat the drivers with his EnABL process to improve detail and treble performance.

Being a single driver fan, I'm also a big fan of active speaker designs and so would love to hear PMC's active speakers.  The AML would seem to be an absolutely amazing speaker.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2011, 12:36 pm »
...Bud Purvine (inventor of the Ground Enhancers)

Actually the basic idea has been around for time now.  I know someone who has been using ground loops for more than ten years.  Most amazingly he never mentioned anything about it.

mvwhiting_83

• Ask me speaker related questions!
    • PMC Speakers
« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2011, 09:54 pm »
mvwhiting_83,

What is the "Signature Limited Edition" of the FB1i as compared to the standard? Also please post a pic of your system, if possible.

TIA,
JakeJ

Hi Jake,

The FB1i signature, is a limited model that has been finished with a very beautiful Rose Palissandre. The Warranty has been doubled to 10 years, and the crossover has been raised bring the vocal region forward a bit.

I'll get back with pictures of my system very soon...

Ian.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:01 pm »
Thanks for posting.

I've been a transmission line (TL) fan since hearing the Irving M. (Bud) Fried Model H (coffin) stereo passive woofer speaker in the 70s.  Bud was working with the BBC prior to this and so probably helped to "cross pollenate" with Peter Thomas.  Back then TL design was strictly by trial and error, but now we have the seminal work of Augsberger and King that produced an AutoMath application that can be used to properly develop virtually any speaker design.

I'm glad to see that the review covered many of advantages of TL, but disappointed at the PMC prices.  TL just isn't that hard/expensive to build, in fact the only speakers I ever built were a pair of 6 cu. ft. Fried TL woofer cabinets (which Bud warned would be too big for nearly any domestic environment and he was right).  For the past 6 years I've enjoyed Bob Brines' FTA-2000 speakers that utilitize the "mighty" Fostex F200A full range driver (which by itself is rated 30 - 20,000 Hz, 8 ohm, 90 dB/w/m).  A year ago I had another Bud, Bud Purvine (inventor of the Ground Enhancers) treat the drivers with his EnABL process to improve detail and treble performance.

Being a single driver fan, I'm also a big fan of active speaker designs and so would love to hear PMC's active speakers.  The AML would seem to be an absolutely amazing speaker.

Actually manufacturing TL cabinets in england is expensive.  About 1-2 years of design has gone into each model... Which makes for no wonder as to why other manufacturers don't take up the virtues of Transmission line loudspeakers... Everyone at Hans Zimmer's Remote Control studios swear by our speakers.

THey are expensive, but they are worth it according to Tommy Vicari, Bobby Fernandez, Tbone Burnett, Prince, Brian May, Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis... Among others.

mclsound

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:23 pm »
PMC are great speakers,no doubt....BUT!!
When celebrities and dealers only pay 50% to 55% of the MRSP,that is not a bad price.But for us to pay almot the full 100% price with taxes included(of course).....Its alot!!!! To much actually...I have talked to so many people that love the speaker but hate the price,hense..no sale.
Maybe Peter will catch on one day?

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:28 pm »
Troll. :x.

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:36 pm »
Troll. :x.
My apology for expresing my thoughts truthfully.I love their sound and build quality but they are "way" overpriced is all.I am not going to say that the EB1's are worth $16,000.

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm »
How about instead of your business being combating all of my posts, start your own speaker business.

mclsound

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:45 pm »
I just think that the prices are a bit steep is all?

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2011, 10:53 pm »
OK, guys, let's not get carried away.  They may be too expensive for mclsound, cest la vie.  Value is a perception not a standard.

mvwhiting_83,
Thanks for the info.  I have had more than a passing interest in PMC due to the TL and active options they offer.  I did take a look at the FB1i and others on the website but I would like to know the retail pricing of all their models from both lines.  Can you point me to a price list?

Thanks again.

JakeJ

« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2011, 11:08 pm »
mclsound,
Is that your IB2 CC and pair of IB1s for sale on Audiogon?

mvwhiting_83

• PMC Speakers
« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2011, 11:50 pm »
I apologize this thread is about the wonderful speaker that is the FB1i. PMC's most award winning hifi speaker.

Levi

« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:46 am »
x2

Congrats Ian!  That was a great review of the FB1i.  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:48 am »
Dog gone it, adding an extra piece of cabinet wall (without veneer) just isn't that hard or expensive to do.  After 30+ years of being a TL fan, I'm tired of the excuses.

The only decent excuse was the lack of a design method, but now we have that, so there really is no good excuse for not moving away from sealed, ported, or even quarter wave tuned pipes designs.  Even if you already have a sub and don't need great bass, the slanted interior panel direct back wave hash away so as to not reflect back through the semi-transparent driver material.

Speaker builders are simply devoted to their particular cults.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2011, 07:02 am »
Too expensive compared to what ?  When I was buying speakers last year, I listened to a bunch of products at or above the same price point as the PMC's and ended up with the FB1i's. Never regretted the choice or the expenditure. I'm enjoying the hell out of them as I type this response. There are plenty of choices out there for those who don't feel the value vs. price proposition of PMC's works for them. Feel free to avail yourself of those options. There's a shop down the street from where I live which has Monitor Audio on perpetual " special " as an example. They get good reviews so I guess the children that build them in the People's Republic do nice work...

There is something about the mention of PMC that just seems to get some folks all stirred up around here.

Viva le " Floor Box" !!!

D.

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2011, 07:54 am »
mclsound,
Is that your IB2 CC and pair of IB1s for sale on Audiogon?

He's got'em listed here at the Trading Post as well. Prices look a little high for speakers he bought used from James @ Bryston but you know how over-priced PMC's are to begin with... :wink:

D.

JakeJ

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2011, 01:17 pm »
Actually his prices on the IB1s are reasonable in comparison to the bluebook average value.  His inclusion of a pair Sound Anchor stands makes the deal fairly sweet and if I were flush with cash I'd seriously consider negotiating for them.

However the IB2 Center is priced slightly above average used value although not excessively.