Woodstock... were you there?

JDoyle

Woodstock... were you there?
« on: 11 Aug 2019, 01:25 am »
I was not (too young), I’m 61 now... please tell me your experience.
My brother in law still has his tix (pretty cool)

JD

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Woodstock... were you there?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Aug 2019, 01:57 am »
No, too young.
My parents were horrified at the idea, ha, ha.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #2 on: 11 Aug 2019, 01:26 pm »
It was 7 years before I was born. My stepfather went. My mother was a few years too young, and my father wasn’t in the States yet. I highly doubt my father would’ve wanted to go if he was though; not exactly the hippy type by any means.

johnto

« Reply #3 on: 11 Aug 2019, 02:40 pm »
I wasn't there but wondering if the museum at Bethel is worth a day trip to visit.

Mudslide

« Reply #4 on: 11 Aug 2019, 02:47 pm »
Well...I'm certainly old enough.  While I wasn't there, I do have a little story. 

My wife and I were traveling up U.S. 395 (now I15) to go camping in the Sierra Mts of California.  We stopped to get gas for our VW van in Lee Vining, and at the gas station was this big, psychedelically painted bus with a bunch of long-hairs entering and exiting.  (Yeah, I was too at the time.  Period picture below supplied for your guffaws.)

So, while I was stretching my legs, some of the prettiest girls I'd ever seen came up to me and asked if I wanted to "smoke".  I of course said "NO" (lie  :lol:) and went in to the bus with them.   :smoke:  It turns out they were headed to New York to support some big concert and didn't have any pot.  What they did have was enough hashish to choke all of India.  But they wanted marijuana and were asking to trade ... if I had any.  Well...of course I didn't do that.  (Hash always looked like mashed boogers to me, anyway.  Pretty thought, eh?!)  I enjoyed my chat with these beautiful people, said goodbye and went about my journey of catching big trout in the high Sierra.

'Twas when we got back home from our camping trip that I saw tv coverage of Woodstock.  And front and center...that big, ugly, psychedelic bus. 

Rock on.   :rock:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 11 Aug 2019, 04:04 pm »
Love the pic and the look  :thumb:  Great story.

Mudslide

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2019, 07:19 pm »
Oops...I forgot to say that they told me they were a commune called the "Hog Farm".  Uh uh...those ladies were anything but pigs.   :wink:  There were perhaps 15 people on the bus, btw.

MttBsh

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2019, 03:45 am »
It's certainly no surprise to me that the 50 year anniversary of Woodstock failed to materialize. There is no way to recreate the Hog Farm, the psychedelic bus, the beautiful music or the consciousness of the peaceful crowd. Sadly, that era is long gone. Billionaire Jay-Z and the greedy music business pulling off a 2019 version of the festival? I'm trying to imagine what could be less representative of what Woodstock stood for.

Mudslide

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2019, 03:49 am »
It's certainly no surprise to me that the 50 year anniversary of Woodstock failed to materialize. There is no way to recreate the Hog Farm, the psychedelic bus, the beautiful music or the consciousness of the peaceful crowd. Sadly, that era is long gone. Billionaire Jay-Z and the greedy music business pulling off a 2019 version of the festival? I'm trying to imagine what could be less representative of what Woodstock stood for.

Amen, brother!...except that I get to put on the Woodstock album, close my eyes, and let my mind wander nostalgically back to that time...

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 12 Aug 2019, 12:22 pm »
I was old enough to have gone, barely, but spent that summer in the woods of southern Alabama with no TV and only a scratchy gospel radio station.  We had a family cabin on a lake created by a WPA dam and spent every summer there.  Driving north back to Pennsylvania it was of course all over the radio and I was like What? I missed it?  Oh well, it was a great summer.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2019, 01:12 pm »
  I was there. 18 years old. I will never forget the peaceful, kind and loving atmosphere. Waking up to Hendrix playing the Star Bangled Banner in a light mist was surreal. Joplin guzzling down a pint of Southern Comfort then singing up a storm. Naked in the Mud, stoned and very happy a time past.
A peaceful event with lots of caring people . Rain what rain. We ALL came together and helped push cars out of mud, fed each other. Bad LSD and all an event never to be forgotten.
Maybe again we can give peace a chance.

charles

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2019, 04:12 pm »
I worked that summer in Louisiana, but I did attend the Dallas Festival that same year.  It was headlined by Chicago as the last group playing, but right before them this new group, Led Zeppelin, played.  YEOW!  Is that guy really using a violin bow on his guitar? After Zeppelin slew the audience, people started leaving as Chicago played.  A changing of the guard was occurring.

FireGuy

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2019, 05:03 pm »
The event was just 30 miles from where I lived.  13 at the time.  Remember very well the amount of traffic going through our piece of the world and wondering what the hell is going on.  Of course, we did not know the resulting historical significance. It was a hot summer ta boot. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2019, 08:25 pm »
  We drove up in a 1962 Ford Falcon Station Wagon painted flat red with stick on flowers and feet all it. Packed to the gills with food, drink and rolling paper  we kept on trucking. We had our wine sacks filled to the brim. Remember those ? No partying while driving however partied hearty once landed.

charles