biscuits or dowels for cabinet construction

Arctos

« on: 24 Jan 2003, 12:16 am »
Greetings,
In all of my research into DIY speakers I have not run across any information that shows that anyone uses doweling or biscuit joining as a method of constructing a speaker cabinet.  Why?  Will either of these options have a negative effect on the sound?  I would think that they would make the cabinet significantly stronger.

Regards,

RDS

EchiDna

« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2003, 01:20 am »
biscuits are stronger than dowels which are of course much stronger than the cruddy butt joints that most people tend to use in their DIY speakers ;-)

I built my own and other people's furniture a lot back when I lived in Oz and there is nothing as simple, cheap and yet strong as the triton biscuit joiner for a strong joint. http://www.triton.net.au/products/bj.html

I am not if it is available O/S but it is perfect for speaker cabinet construction.

Ravi

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2003, 02:09 am »
Dave Ellis uses biscuits.  He likes them better than screws or glue by themselves.  

http://home.attbi.com/~ellisaudio/

Brandon B

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2003, 06:36 am »
Quote from: EchiDna
biscuits are stronger than dowels which are of course much stronger than the cruddy butt joints that most people tend to use in their DIY speakers ;-)

I built my own and other people's furniture a lot back when I lived in Oz and there is nothing as simple, cheap and yet strong as the triton biscuit joiner for a strong joint. http://www.triton.net.au/products/bj.html

I am not if it is available O/S but it is perfect for speaker cabinet construction.

Triton has begun marketing their big router in the U.S., so their biscuit joiner may be available too.

If not,  Porter & Cable's is very good (and $$$),  Dewalt's is a strong second (and almost as much $$$).

BB

elektratig

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2003, 11:03 am »
Hi Arctos,

As a fledgling woodworker, I used biscuits in constructing my first pair of speakers, Fostex FE267E drivers in bass reflex cabinets, and found them incredibly useful.  Putting aside the additional strength they give to the joints, biscuitry allows me to line up the parts precisely.

It's very easy to do.  Align the pieces precisely as you want them ultimately to go together, mark them and cut them.  I then do a dry run, with biscuits inserted but without glue, to make sure that everything is OK.  Then glue up and clamp.  If the marks are aligned when I clamp up, I know the pieces are aligned perfectly.

When I took a "woodworking 101" course last fall, the instructor related that some woodworkers contended that biscuit joinery provided little if any additional strength to the joint.  He related that tests reported in one of the woodworking mags had disproved this-- in some tests biscuits provided more strength than any other method.  He attributed negative attitudes to biscuitry to the fact that it was simply too easy.  It was the "easy" part that caught my ear.  At all events, speakers are generally not going to be subject to physical stresses (does anyone sit on their speakers?).  As it turns out, even if the joint provided no additional strength, I would use it anyway.

markC

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2003, 07:15 pm »
If you are on your own, I'm sure biscuits would prove very helpful. But if you have a second pair of hands, glue and a brad nailer is very fast and accurate.

Arctos

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2003, 04:11 am »
Thanks folks,
Looks like I will be investing in a biscuit joiner!  The Triton unit looks very nice, but I have not yet found a seller in the US.  I have looked on Ebay and have put a bid on a new DeWalt unit.

I was really sold by the fact that Dave Ellis uses them, as I have a great deal of respect for his product.

Now all I need to do is buy the joiner, some MDF, and build a bigger table for my table saw and I am ready to build my KLS-9's (have the drivers, and should receive all the crossover items from North Creek next week)!!

Thanks again,

RDS