DIY Tube phono stages under $500?

massappeal85

« on: 10 Jan 2003, 01:34 am »
So far I know of Bottlehead's Seduction and K&K audio's kit. I unfortunely have to rule out Bottleshead's for now, as I wanted to put the phono pre in the same chasis as a channel switcher with the inputs and outputs on the back of the chasis, and to mess around with Doc's design in that way sounds like could cause a mess of hum or other problems.

K&K audio's kit looks perfect size ways (if I could lay it flat on its side with no problem), and supposedly sounds quite good, but at $500 exactly (and I'm not sure it comes with a transformer), its a little steep as I really shouldn't be spending that much.

Of course, if I could be convinced that the Seduction was truly great for the money or that the K&K had something over everything less expensive, I would consider either.

Right now I'm just trying to get a good look at as many phono stages I can before I start making purchases. I prefer kits and pcbs and what not, but if theres a design you really think I should check out I'd consider that as well, as long as the total parts cost stayed within my budget. I put down under $500 and would be willing to pay that much but would REALLY like to see if theres anything under or around $400. Any reccomendations/links?

Thank you so much.

JohnR

« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2003, 01:44 am »
You might like to look at the kits on www.hagtech.com. I forget the name of the tube phono kit but I've read of a couple people that built it and liked it.

JohnR

jcoat007

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2003, 03:39 pm »
I have read some good things about Hagerman.  I think the Trumpet was just written up in some magazine.  

Look here for a finished Cornet:

http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I wish I knew which end of the soldering iron to hold on to.  If I did I think I would try some of the DIY projects.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2003, 04:01 pm »
Hey John,

Speaking of kits, did you ever get your Teres together or start on it?  Can't wait to hear about your impression from a local.

elektratig

Re: DIY Tube phono stages under $500?
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2003, 12:53 am »
A late response, but Audio Electronic Supply, the kit/parts division of Cary Audio, makes a phono stage for $399.  I've been using mine with a Rega Planar 3 for years and love it.