TERES in da HOUSE!!!

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« on: 24 Apr 2003, 10:49 pm »
Wife called this afternoon to tell me the UPS man came by and dropped off a package from Colorado.

So a few hours later I get home and start putting it together.

Then I read "wait 4-6 hours for the platter to settle into position"

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It seems the spindle tolerances are so close it keeps the platter/spindle from settling right away.

Anyway, the tonearm is on, but needs adjusting, and there is little more I can do for a while.

Oh well maybe I will have it up and all together by the weekend.

Seedees aren't all that bad..I can tolerate them for one night...at least I can tolerate the well recorded ones :-)

Beezer

rest of rig
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2003, 10:53 pm »
What arm, cartridge and phono stage are you using?  I just traded up to an Origin Live Silver arm and Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood cartridge on my Nottingham Interspace.  Unfortunately, I'm inbetween amps and I'm using an NAD integrated loaner, but early impressions are favorable.

Beez

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2003, 11:21 pm »
Arm is SME IV, cartridge is Symphonic Line RG8 (modded Van Den Hul Grasshopper).

I currently have the CI Audio VPP1 phono pre with the upgraded power supply.

The VPP1 is good for cartridges with output of .5mv and higher.  The RG8 is .4mv :-(

Dusty of CI Audio will be sending me a new phono pre to try in a few weeks.  This will be the VPP2 for low output MC cartrides.

I would love to have tried the Bent 103 step up transformers, but they are pricey at $700 + for the silvers.

Beezer

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2003, 12:57 am »
You're in with both feet and fat wallet, or at least it was fat!  I'd be interested to know how the CI phono stacks up with the rest of the rig.

Beez

JoshK

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2003, 01:06 am »
yeah that is one heck of a pricey setup, but one heck of an impressive one.   I took the cheaper way out and did most of it myself and it is taking longer in doing so.  Can't wait to spin some of these Jimmy rarities on my Teres!

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2003, 04:02 am »
OK,

Everything is up and running finally  8)

Got everything setup but the string that came with the table was too short and the motor had to touch the base and it was still a hair short.

After a few minutes the motor shutoff.  It was just as well, I had to readjust the phono pre for a MC cartridge instead of the old MM.

Then the string broke when I fired it back up.

Found some thread around the house and rolled my own.... :wink:

The first side of the first album Supertramp Live in Paris the motor kept speeding up and slowing down as the string was stretching etc...

After that the motor/platter has kept perfect speed.

I have to turn the volume knob up to 1:00.  I normally have it at 10:00 for my old cartridge.  Also there is almost no surface noise compared to the old setup  :mrgreen:

It is starting to break in nicely, at first the bass was weak, but with Dire Straits Brothers in Arms - Money for Nothing the drums were as clean, tight and low as I have ever heard them.

All in all it sounds great, and better with each album side.

Klaus says to play with VTA etc.. but I have it set up per the SME guidelins so I will keep it here for a while.

nature boy

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Apr 2003, 01:57 am »
Marbles,

Congratulations on the Teres baby!  Your set up sounds fantastic and just wait til that cartridge breaks in fully.  Ah, vinyl - its an addiction.

Just got back from a week at Hatteras on the NC outerbanks - weather wasn't too bad, fishing was great and I managed some good BBQ in Manteo to boot!

NB

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #7 on: 27 Apr 2003, 03:15 am »
Quote from: Beezer
You're in with both feet and fat wallet, or at least it was fat!  I'd be interested to know how the CI phono stacks up with the rest of the rig.

Beez

I too thought that the CI phono pre would be the weakspot, and in some ways it is, but in some ways it is not.

It was never meant for low output cartridges, so I have to turn the volume up pretty high, 1:00 for normal listening.

It does however let as much music through as I can tell is there without adding any sonic signature.  It also does not seem to impart any more of a frequency than any other.

From my digital rig, the highs are slightly rolled off.  This is noticeable mainly on cymbals.  I do not know if it is the tonearm cable, the CI pre, the cartridge, or vinyl in general.

Otherwise I think this phono pre is extremely neutral and revealing.  It is not a tube pre and does not act like one, rather it is a way to increase the output and and re eq the RIAA curve.  I think it does so splendidly.  I do have the upgraded power supply.

I am going to try the VPP2 phono pre that Dusty is coming out with this summer.  I will probably end up with a pre production model in about 3 weeks.

I have heard enough equipment on my stereo to know that except the slight rolling of the highest frequencies (and I don't know the reason) the analog front end is very neutral changing charectoristics with each album.

Except for having to turn the volume up pretty high, I would not even be looking for another phono pre.  I am very content with this one.

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #8 on: 27 Apr 2003, 03:27 am »
With regard to the cost of the Analog rig, I thought I would get one used for about $1000 all in :?

Then I saw and read about the Teres and knew I would not be content without one.

Having been through the upgraditis I knew it would cost less to just get the Teres then to buy something to trade up every 6 months.

So the next thing was what arm and cartridge?  It turns out that the Expressimo RB250 is a good arm, and the Sheltor 501 is a great cartridge!
I was getting prices around $750 for the Shelter.

I then called Klaus and asked his advice and he told me he had my cartridge all reserved SL RG8 (thanks Klaus) and that the SME IV arm worked VERY WELL with that cartridge.

It just so happened a "gray market" SME IV was on Agon from Hong Kong at a very good price for a new one, so I swooped.

I really spent a lot more than I ever thought or imagined I would, but I don't have to worry about upgrading any of it :-)

Anyway, my wife came down to listen to the music with me for about an hour.  The last time that happened was like NEVER!  Must be analog :P

Anyway she comented on house nice and modern the TT looked and "How much does something like that go for?" she asked.

"Oh just a couple hundred" I replied.

"That's not too bad then I guess" she responded.

jcoat007

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2003, 03:33 am »
Anyway she comented on house nice and modern the TT looked and "How much does something like that go for?" she asked.

I have said that same thing so many times.  

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

BikeWNC

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #10 on: 28 Apr 2003, 01:32 pm »
When I told my wife the cost of a Teres 265, SME V and suitable cartridge she just looked at me and said " well, I guess I'll just have to buy more expensive plants to decorate the room ".   :o

JoshK

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #11 on: 28 Apr 2003, 03:15 pm »
Quote from: jcoat007

I have said that same thing so many times.  

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

My wife is the household accountant so I wouldn't get away with that.  She just says that I can buy all the equipment we can afford if I just buy her a house.   :lol:

Oz_Audio

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #12 on: 28 Apr 2003, 10:36 pm »
:o I think they learn this in school:

"Whats yours is mine and whats mines' me own"

And if you ever forget it, the drought is long and dry!!!!! :cry:

Mark

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #13 on: 3 May 2003, 04:11 pm »
Haa!  Marbles,  a couple hundred.   I have a better system worked out where I can justify my audio excesses.  I just tell my wife that I need it for the business.  In fact, I think that many of the people who run audio shops have done so to justify it to the wife.

We are building a shop right now.  I've got a killer listening room in the design stage, for business reasons you know.   ;)

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #14 on: 3 May 2003, 04:16 pm »
Yer a lucky dog Kevin!!!

Thank god I'm about done (so I keep telling myself) ....... Geez, not only am I lying to my wife about this stuff, I lie to myself too  :o

Kevin P

• http://www.diycable.com
TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #15 on: 3 May 2003, 04:30 pm »
Marbles:  Yes... I'm a lucky dog.  Not for the room though... for my wife who keeps me pointed in the right direction.

The room shouldn't cost too much.  Probably a lot less than that Teres! :)  Of course I'll have to get a Teres to fill an empty spot so in a way... it is going to be expensive!  I'm also looking for a good big screen for our HT demo.  Have any recommendations?

Marbles

TERES in da HOUSE!!!
« Reply #16 on: 3 May 2003, 04:34 pm »
I will agree with you that you OVERACHEIVED with your wife  :wink:

Anyway, it's been 3 years since I've done much research on bigscreen TV's.  I ended up with a nice Toshiba that I've been very happy with, but 3 years is a long time......... Good Luck.

These guys will know though.

www.avsforum.com