Apple Mac mini system descriptions

ultrafi

Re: Apple Mac mini system descriptions
« Reply #60 on: 3 May 2011, 02:23 pm »
Simple. Because of what people say.  Face it, there are a number of folks out there professing that the earlier Mac mini, pre mid-2010, is superior to the 2010 Mac mini because it has an out- board power supply.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

I've owned, heard, and modified both, done the listening comparisons; and, frankly, there is no way that the pre-mid-2010 Mac mini can be made to sound better than the 2010 mini.  Ain't gonna happen.

It is cheaper to buy a new mini than mod an old one to try and get it to sound as good as the 2010.  Just the facts.

rpf

« Reply #61 on: 3 May 2011, 03:24 pm »
My Mac Mini Audio System Description:

Mac mini processor model:  2010 Mac mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Operating system version:  OSX 10.6.7
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  LaCie 3TB external HDD, with DataTale 3 TB HDD for backup.
Internal memory installed:  8 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3

Monitor/keyboard: 13" Macbook Pro via screen sharer.
Wireless hardware:  Airport Extreme
Software music player(s):   Itunes for now. Tried an earlier version of Pure Music and didn't care for it. About to try the various players again.
Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): 
Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):  Rogue Cronus Magnum Integrated.
Pre amplifier:
External DAC:  Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC
Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:  ART Legato asynchronous converter.
Speakers in this system:  Aural Acoustics Model B
Interconnect types between mac mini and X:  db Labs Essential USB cable and Cardas Lightning 15 digital cable.
Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  In listening room.

Also provide comments on these:

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?  Nothing yet.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?  Internal SS drive.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?  Both the sound and ease of use.
d. Other comments:
« Last Edit: 1 May 2012, 02:17 pm by rpf »

ultrafi

« Reply #62 on: 3 May 2011, 04:36 pm »
Ok, figuring you're asking me.

I've found that HDD for storing music with an Oxford 943 chipset to sound best.  A Ridge Street Audio FW800 cable for the same is a nice improvement.

More memory is better.

SSD internal for the OS is better.

I prefer Fidelia from Audiofile Engineering.

I love the ease of use and the ready access to a wide variety of music afford by computer audio.

YMMV, enjoy.

ultrafi

« Reply #63 on: 3 May 2011, 04:38 pm »
Oh, most important, forgot to add the latest Enopias USB cable is awesome.  Heck, I designed the dB Labs Essential and I use the Enopias......

miniman

« Reply #64 on: 3 May 2011, 05:15 pm »
Hi. I'm new to the site but would like to share the details of my mini based system. I put this together in the Fall of 2007 and it's been an interesting trip since and ultimately very rewarding. I'm an older audio fan having cut my teeth on Heathkit projects and Jensen based custom speakers in the 50's.

Mac mini: 1.83 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Ram (upgraded from 1 GB, did myself from OWC supplied memory), Mac OS X ver. 10.5.8.
External 1TB Rocstor HD with 2nd as backup (expensive in '07 but still running 3.5 years later).
HP monitor, Apple silver hardwired keyboard.
OWC supplied external Mercury Pro Super Multi Drive for ripping (burned up 3 drives in the mini ripping 2100 cd's). Now I use the Mercury.

This system is in a room by itself and connects first (hardwired) to a Linksys G router then hardwired (Cat5e) to music room where it connects to an Apple TV (version 2 now but had original) via ethernet cable. Out of the Apple via toslink (WireWorld Super Nova 6 Glass cable...a big improvement) to a Benchmark Dac 1 (internal jumpers of Benchmark set to 10db attentuation rather than 20 db as it comes from the factory...another big improvement) then to music system, Revel Performa F52 speakers, Marantz PM 11S1 integrated amp, dual James EMB 1200 subs, all in a room 19 X 25 X 10.

Music is controlled by by old Apple iPhone 3G with Remote App and controls the Apple TV and not the Mini. The Apple TV in turn controls the Mini. All music is streamed to the the ATV. Music is played by iTunes, all 25,000 plus songs (I have come to love Genius). The only usb connection in the system (music wise) is from the Rocstor HD to the mini. All music is in Apple Lossless with error correction turned on when ripped. This sytem has been relatively trouble free and very fun to use and VERY musical. My enjoyment of my music has never been as great. I love discovering musical gems I didn't know I owned or hadn't heard in years. The only improvement now I could imagine is replacing the mini's HD with a solid state drive. By the way, this system does nothing but play music, not used for anything else. Hope this information helps someone. Thanks

Crimson

« Reply #65 on: 3 May 2011, 05:46 pm »
Hi. I'm new to the site but would like to share the details of my mini based system.

Nice system. Welcome to Audio Circle!

wgscott

« Reply #66 on: 10 Jun 2011, 05:06 am »
This.

2010 mini client with HDMI to TV and glass optical or Halide Bridge to Peachtree Nova.  I've put in 8 gig of memory ($100 OWC) and use Audirvana in conjunction with iTunes.  I have the stock conventional internal drive, and a 1 TB external Oyen Digital Firewire drive for music and video storage.

ttate90303

« Reply #67 on: 17 Jun 2011, 02:57 am »
How is your Apple Mac mini set up as a music server or part of a digital music system?  Let's see your configuration whether you have a straight forward mac mini to integrated amp to bookshelfs or you have the mac mini connected to an external hard drive and connected into a distributed network to many systems. Please provide brands and models of the specific hardware, cabling, etc. used:

• Mac mini processor model:2.0GHz
  • Operating system version:10.6.7
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):160GB (internal) Oyen Digital 1TB (external)
  • Internal memory installed:4GB

• Monitor/keyboard:Toshiba 40" HDTV G300U1 Apple Wireless Kybd/Magic Trackpad
  • Wireless hardware:
  • Software music player(s): Pure Music v1.8a
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):iPad

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):NAD T793 Power Amp SS
  • Pre amplifier:NAD T175 Preamp
  • External DAC: Rega DAC
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:Denon 2200 SACD, Panamax M5100-PM
  • Speakers in this system:PSB Imagine B on Sanus PF30 Stands
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and Rega DAC: Audioquest Diamond USB & Audioquest Diamondback
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):Livingroom on Salamander Synergy Twin 30 Rack

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? No.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? Ease of playback using iPad
d. Other comments: Love how simplified things have become using a Mac mini as my digital music server.

Crimson

« Reply #68 on: 17 Jun 2011, 04:06 am »
Very nice.

Welcome!

Uofmtiger

« Reply #69 on: 19 Jun 2011, 07:51 pm »
I thought I would get in on the fun:

Mac mini processor model:2.4GHz
Operating system version:10.6.7
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):320GB(internal), Buffalo Terabyte server, several Terabytes external drives (external)
Internal memory installed:4GB

Monitor/keyboard:I am using it with 3 displays:
63 inch Samsung Plasma, 42 inch Westinghouse LCD, Asus 26VW266H
Apple Wireless/Magic Trackpad
Wireless hardware:
Software music player(s): iTunes, Airfoil, MOG (considering Pure Music if I continue to add 24/96)
Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):iPad, iPhone, Touch (logmein, spashtop remote, and Rowmote apps)

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Denon 4311ci receiver feeds a couple Emotive UPA-1 amps for 2 channel), Marantz 2220B receiver, Heed Canamp
Pre amplifier:TC-754, the 4311CI is used as a preamp for 2 channel (I use its onboard amps for the other channels for surround)
External DAC: Cambridge DacMagic
Speakers in this system:Main system: Monitor Audio Silver RS6, LCR, RSFX, eD a2-300 sub.  Office system: 2 Insignia speakers for 2 channel (mainly listen to AKG k701s in this setup), logitech z-680 for movies
Interconnect types between mac mini and X:  Optical output to DacMagic
Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):Desk in office

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? Nothing added
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?SSD
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? Ability to play music all over the house, the ability to use it in my office setup and living room setup for audio and video.
d. Other comments: Bought the mini because I wanted to try OSX and not spend over $1000 with the experiment.  I also figured I could use it in the living room system if I did not like it for anything else.  I think I will eventually move up to an iMac for photo editing, but I will keep the mini around for music, although I will probably keep it where it is because sometimes it is easier working/updating on a 25.5 inch screen than a 63 inch screen. 

JohnR

« Reply #70 on: 10 Aug 2011, 04:12 pm »
It's taken me a few years to get this done...  :lol: but ere I am JH.

• Mac mini processor model: 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache (2011 model)
  • Operating system version: Lion
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): Internal, 500 GB, 5400 RPM
  • Internal memory installed: 2 GB

• Monitor/keyboard: Acer V193HQV 18.5" 1366x768 - cheapest and smallest one I could find at Officeworks. Small displays are better because they are easier to control with Screen Sharing from a laptop. Apple wired keyboard, cheap wired mouse.
  • Wireless hardware: None (except 802.11n)
  • Software music player(s): iTunes + Pure Music. I've settled on upsampling everything to 24/96
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): iPhone+Remote app, Screen Sharing from laptop

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Solid state class B on bass and mids, tubes class A on tweeters
  • Pre amplifier: None
  • External DAC: miniDSP 2x8 (also acts as 4-way crossover)
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:
  • Speakers in this system: Prototype 3-way plus subs open-baffle speaker
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Toslink (?)
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Kitchen, just around the corner from the equipment rack

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? The speakers, I suppose, since I designed/made them.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Coax output maybe. Although the Toslink seems to work pretty well. (The miniDSP has an async sample rate convertor on it so jitter may be less of an issue than other systems.) Not having a CD slot would be annoying if I didn't already have a USB superdrive.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? Apart from the sound? My fiancee likes using it too!
d. Other comments: I hadn't intended to use Toslink originally, but after mucking around with USB to SPDIF convertors I decided to just try it. Brilliant - another gizmo not needed (along with the CD player and DAC going up for sale ;) )

bclaw001

« Reply #71 on: 18 Aug 2011, 01:42 pm »

• Mac mini processor model: 1.42 Ghz G4
  • Operating system version: 10.4.11
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  internal plus external G-Drive Firewire (with about 4000 Apple Lossless tracks)
  • Internal memory installed: 1G

• Monitor/keyboard: standard Apple wired keyboard and 15" monitor
  • Wireless hardware: usb wireless adapter
  • Software music player(s): iTunes
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): VNC on Ipad

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Van Alstine Omega III 200 (solid state)
  • Pre amplifier: Morrison ELAD
  • External DAC: Bel Canto DAC1
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: Xitel USB to SPDIF
  • Speakers in this system: Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Solo
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Silver Sonic
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet: finished attic den

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? I now use it mainly for audio recording auditions for my voice-over career - I have an AKG Perception 120 mic and a Blue Icicle USB mic preamp (and the Sound Studio recording app)
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? unfortunately I'm looking to sell most of the audio chain - except the speakers - and find a decent integrated amp ; the WAF (wife acceptance factor) is very low due to all the components and wires and I really don't get to just listen to music very much anymore
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?  even though it's a 5+ year old Mini it really works very well as both a music server and a recording studio
d. Other comments: Here is my voice is on www.subaru.com narrating some web videos: http://www.subaru.com/engineering/all-wheel-drive.html

taddeus

« Reply #72 on: 30 Sep 2011, 10:31 am »

• Mac mini processor model: 1.66 Ghz dual core
  • Operating system version: snow leopard
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  internal 320GB
  • Internal memory installed: 2GB

• Monitor/keyboard: none
  • Wireless hardware: airport
  • Software music player(s): audirvana
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): iteleport on Ipad and PC

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Harman Kardon HK870 (solid state)
  • Pre amplifier: Audio analogue Bellini remote
  • External DAC: Cambridge audio DAC magic
  • Speakers in this system: Linn keilidh modded with wima capacitors and hiquphon tweeters
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X: Toslink
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet: listening area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? I now use it mainly for audio
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? USB -> S/P DIF
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?  good music by a little box
d. Other comments:

Yoder54

« Reply #73 on: 13 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm »

• Mac mini processor model: 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7/b]
  • Operating system version: Lion
  • Hard drive type: Internal: internal Root-- 60 Gb SSD, Secondary--500 Gb 7200 RPM, External: Glyph 1.5 Tb 7200 RPM 
  • Internal memory installed: 4 Gb

• Monitor/keyboard: HP 2311, Apple wireless Kb
  • Wireless hardware: Airport Extreme, Trackpad
  • Software music player(s): Amarra
  • Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Bottlehead Paramont mono-blocks (tube)
  • Pre amplifier: Bottlehead Foreplay III tube
  • External DAC: Tweaked Monarchy NM24 tube DAC (24 bit)
  • Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: Monarchy DIP Classic (wordclock and upsampler, 2-Bottlehead Crack headphone amps (tube), Sennheiser HD-650, and Beyer Dynamic DT-770 Pro
  • Speakers in this system: Tonian D2-Mark II's
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and DIP: Toslink
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet: listening area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?
Audio, and streaming video
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Nada
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satisfaction/enjoyment ?  Amarra, NM24, and Crack
[/list]
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2011, 01:59 am by Yoder54 »

Crimson

« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2011, 03:18 am »
From an original Foreplay and crack user, welcome.  :wink:

targa02

« Reply #75 on: 17 Nov 2011, 06:57 am »
I am a VERY happy computer audio enthusiast!

Mac mini processor model:2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (early 2011)
      Operating system version: 10.6.8
      Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID): Oyen MiniPro Firewire 500GB
      Internal memory installed: 4GB MHz DDR3

Monitor/keyboard: screen share from macbook pro
      Wireless hardware:

Software music player(s): Pure Music and Spatial digital room correction (the bomb!)

Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc): screen share, Apple remote, iPad, iPhone

Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated): Amps built into speakers (active)

Pre amplifier: Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2
      External DAC: see above

Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers: Empirical Audio Offramp 4 with Hynes regulators and Turboclock

Speakers in this system: ATC SCM 50 ASLs

Interconnect types between mac mini and X: W4S USB to Off Ramp 4; Liquid Air Digital cable between OR4 and W4S; Blue Jean XLR between W4S and ATCs

Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet): Listening Area

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system? Pure Music and Spatial
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? 
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?  I love having all my music at my fingertips.  Room correction makes a HUGE difference!
d. Other comments:

jy3iix

« Reply #76 on: 25 Mar 2012, 03:46 am »

• Mac mini processor model:
2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • Operating system version:
  • Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):
external NAS - QNAP TS-412, RAID 5 config
  • Internal memory installed:
4Gb
[/list]

• Monitor/keyboard:
toshiba LCD TV, Apple bluetooth keyboard & trackpad
  • Wireless hardware:
Dlink DIR-655
  • Software music player(s):
sbooth.org Decibel
  • Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):

• Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):
X-Can V8 tube headphone amp
  • Pre amplifier:
  • External DAC:
presently N/A but seriously looking at Mytek stereo192 DSD DAC
  • Speakers in this system:
headphones only! - Audio Techica ATH-W1000
  • Interconnect types between mac mini and X-Can:
ordinary RCA
  • Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):
listening area
[/list]

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range? Just the Mytek DAC, though the mini's onboard DAC is really fine with me
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ? wireless connection to the RAID, hi res flacs thru sbooth's brilliant piece of software - and the mini is  q u i e t !
d. Other comments:

shortcuttomoncton

« Reply #77 on: 23 Jan 2013, 04:58 pm »

Mac mini processor model:  2012 Mac mini 2.3 GHz i7
Operating system version:  latest
Hard drive type (internal only or external) size and type (stand alone or RAID):  Internal Apple 1TB (music location); LaCie 3TB external HDD (video location)
Internal memory installed:  16 GB 1667 Mhz DDR3

Monitor/keyboard: HDMI out to Panasonic plasma TV; no keyboard/mouse
Wireless hardware:  Airport
Software music player(s):   iTunes
Other method of controlling the mac mini (VNC, custom remotes, etc):  iTeleport VPN on iPad; all music controlled by Remote app on iPad; general OS GUI control via Rii Touch N7 remote keyboard
Amplifier, and type (eg. Solid state mono block, SET, Tube integrated):  Butler TDB 2250
Pre amplifier: Bryston 1B
External DAC:  Home/Custom built AK4396-based DAC
Other component(s) in chain between mini and speakers:  n/a
Speakers in this system:  Energy 22 Reference Connoisseurs, Gallo Reference 3.0
Interconnect types between mac mini and X:  Blue Jeans audio stereo cables; no-name USB3 cable to external HDD; Black Sands Silver Reference MKV power cables for DAC/amp.
Location of the mac mini (eg. in the listening area, other room, or closet):  all electronics in listening room cabinet.

a. If applicable, what is custom in this mac mini system?  Nothing.
b. What feature or function would you add to the mac mini if you could (keeping the system within a similar price range?  Internal SSD.
c. The part of your mac mini system that gives YOU the most satifaction/enjoyment ?  Control of all audio via Remote app on iPad: easiest and best way to navigate through electronic music collections in my experience.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2013, 06:28 pm by shortcuttomoncton »

srb

« Reply #78 on: 23 Jan 2013, 05:19 pm »

External DAC:  Home/Custom built AK1396-based DAC

AK4396?

shortcuttomoncton

« Reply #79 on: 23 Jan 2013, 06:27 pm »
Heh heh, that's right - typo fixed.