Absolute Sound reviews the Audio by Van Alstine DVA M225 mono amps

avahifi

https://mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=58408&i=744560&p=80&ver=html5

I told you guys this is an extraordinary power amp.

We have them in stock for immediate delivery right now.

Frank

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
I guess if Absolute Sound likes them, they must be good.  :roll:

RonN5

First, congrats to the AVA team...a long history of making great sounding products continues!!! 

Some designers talk about how avoiding crossover distortion is critical.  Some talk about how avoiding higher order harmonics is critical and that lower order harmonics are preferable because the ear prefers them.  And some designers talk about how eliminating all distortion is the answer.

I wish that Anthony had made some actual comparisons that would be more helpful to the readers in trying to draw their own conclusions as to how the M225 would sound in their own systems.  (What speakers did he use and how did they sound with each, what amps did he compare to).

As an example, the Benchmark AHB2 is said to be another amp with extremely low/no harmonic distortion and noise (neutral) and has been very well reviewed and acclaimed and its possible to find comparisons with other amplifiers and on different speakers....so, does the M225 sound somewhat similar to the Benchmark...if so, how...if not..how. 

Oh well, I guess that is what the home trial is for..."buy it and try it".

Again, congrats!

BadDNA

Frank, thanks for providing that review link!

I am also curious how the M225 compares to other amps, but I know it is unlikely that it has been compared to other amps outside of the few existing reviews. I am most curious as to how it would compare to the new Schiit Tyr mono amp. Similar power rating but vastly differing designs. Similar price points. Tyr is a beast at around 50# each and uses a choke design.

Let me just state that I'm loving my M225's and am not looking to replace them, just thought this would be the most logical amp for a dollars to dollars comparison.

avahifi

Note that the reviewer used both ultra high price, high performance Wilson and Magico speakers in the review process.

He also commented that its performance did not vary no matter what speaker cables or speakers he used.

I think this pretty much covers the how it will sound in your system question.

Frank

BadDNA

Good to know that the M225's will make a pair of Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers with lamp cord wire sound like a set of Wilsons!! :D

RonN5

Thanks Frank...you are absolutely right....I guess I sorta drove right by the wilsons and magicos since they are out of the reach for most of us.  Also, I note that BadDNA said in a prior post that they took his Sierras to a new level he hadn't experienced.

Ed, if you would, what prior amplifiers did you use with your Sierras and how would you describe the differences.

I'd be driving a pair of Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires...currently using a 2Cherry...Clayton at Spatial doesn't often comment on amplifiers but has said that the Cherry Amps sound good with his products.  But, like many others, I'm always searching for incremental improvements and AVA has had a lot of great reviews lately.

BadDNA

Ron,
I traded in a SET 120 for the M225's. The SET 120 is an amazing amp given its price and power rating. Very good midrange and non fatiguing top end. Imaging was excellent. The M225's kick things into another level. Dynamics, depth of soundstage, imaging, more lifelike and fleshed out details. I have a friend who owns a pair of Digital Amplifier Co. Cherry Maraschino mono amps. I think they are the King version with increased capacitance, etc. He allowed me to audition them in my system a few years back, when I still had a modified ADCOM GFA-5500 200 watt amp running my at-the-time Sierra-2 speakers (Now Sierra-2EX). I fell in love with those little black boxes. Unfortunately I was not in a position to afford purchasing a pair, so I ended up with the SET 120. The ADCOM was showing signs of parts failure in the way of whooshing noises from the left channel. The SET 120 came close to the Cherries, but did not have all the fairy dust those had. Before purchasing the M225's, I had been texting and speaking directly with Tommy O'Brien of Digital Amp Co and was seriously considering buying a pair of the maraschino mono amps. Unfortunately Tommy succumbed to COVID in November and the future of his company is uncertain, so that gave me the needed push to go with the M225's. These are not going anywhere!

RPM123

Good to know that the M225's will make a pair of Dayton Audio bookshelf speakers with lamp cord wire sound like a set of Wilsons!! :D

Really? I must have missed that! Where was that mentioned? Do tell.

AllanS

I'd be driving a pair of Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires...
I’ve been lurking about keeping tabs on the 225 threads/reviews and am in a similar place.  I have a new pair of Spatial M4 looking for a good amp paring.
  Specific to the Sapphires, how does the 225 handle 4 ohm loads?  The M3 impedance plot is in found in another AC thread. https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180415.msg1896322#msg1896322.  I ask because my limited understanding is these will look like a 2 ohm load into a bridged amp.  I understand they’ll drive a 4 ohm load to high power but my perfect paring is exceptional low SPL performance.
  Congrats Frank to you and the AVA crew on collecting some well earned positive reviews!   I agree with others though.  As welcome as good press is, the AC reviews offered by I.Greyhound and others were a lot more informative and helpful than TAS. 

Edit: After rereading Mr Cordesman’s review I have to retract my statement that his review was less informative and helpful than the AC reviews.  He offered some specifics but spoke more in generalities that are every bit as helpful to my understanding of the characteristics and relative strengths of the 225 as the more detail rich reviews offered by here.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2022, 04:49 am by AllanS »

danielgk

• AVA engineer/technicion
No issues at all for the M225 driving 4 ohm speakers.  Even speakers that dip to 2 ohms and below at certain frequencies are not a problem.  This would be even more so if the user is running at extremely low SPL as one of the main issues at running a 2 ohm load, or even lower, is the very high currents and temperatures produced at high power output...If you are not requesting high power output the 2 ohm load, or even lower, will not be a problem.

Dan

AllanS

No issues at all for the M225 driving 4 ohm speakers.
Thank you Dan.

BadDNA

Really? I must have missed that! Where was that mentioned? Do tell.

You don't really want me to elaborate on some tongue-in-cheek humor, right? :wink:

Norman Tracy

I guess if Absolute Sound likes them, they must be good.  :roll:

:scratch: Pray tell Mr. Neachy which authority do you prefer over TAS and the M225 review's author Anthony Cordesman? Reading the review I was reminded how with decades of experience with the hobby as the modern high-end of HiFi evolved Dr. Cordesman is so far past the breathless every new review is a major leap forward we see among the noobs online and vying for views on YouTube. Cordesman's reporting that the M225 sounds very good indeed with several different systems while also featuring manageable size, cool running, and easy compatibility would seem to check all the boxes. I admit to having a soft spot for Frank Van Alstine's work both because AVA specializes in gear affordable by the middle class and because in an industry there companies sprout and then wither like spring flowers in Death Valley AVA has lasting power measured in decades. And if one does not want to trust reviewers from the old or new guard AVA offers a 30 day in-home trial satisfaction guarantee.

Many a truth is said in jest. Actually, over the years I have found just such a combination with a really stout amp driving good moderate speakers to often punch above its weight class. All the more so given the embarrassment of riches we enjoy in 2022 in the entry and mid levels from speaker manufacturer's like KEF, B&W, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, et.al.. And with the volts it can swing and current it can deliver a pair of M225s are just what the doctor (Cordesman) ordered for a set of Magnepan LRS+s. Or better yet 3.7i's, Saturday I was listening to friend's MG IVs and damn Magnepan's line source true ribbon tweeter is so very fine.

avahifi

I am listening to a set of original Maggie LRS speakers right now connected to my M225 amps with original green tinted 30 year old Monster Cables.

Damn they sound nice.  Great image, overall neutral balance and excellent resolution.  No bass slam of course.

I guess I should pull out my old set of Warfdale bookshelf speakers and see see they will equal the Wilsons. 😉. Unfortunately I will not be able to make a comparison because I have never heard the Wilsons except for fleeting moments at trade shows long ago.

I can report that the M225 amps in my HT system are running a pair of Salk HT2 TL towers.  The M225s make the Salks sound like they should have been priced $10,000 higher.

Frank

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
I've found the reviewers in TSA to always be spot on with their recommendations.
Their reviews are nearly always positive because they pick and choose what to review, if it's a dog it won't make the magazine.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
Does TAS review expensive high-end power cords? Does Frank believe in expensive high-end power cords? Do you not see a problem here?

avahifi

TAS review noted that our M225 seemed to be immune to cable differences and that was a good thing. Read the review again please.

Frank

twitch54

I've found the reviewers in TSA to always be spot on with their recommendations.

interesting, I didn't know 'Homeland Security' was doing audio equipment reviews ! Just busting your stones a wee bit Steve, on a serious note and in the current TAS there is a review of a Vincent integrated where the reviewer doesn't understand amplifier Class topology and makes a rather mess in his errant explanation. So as all things in these mags, reader beware !

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Old Fumble Fingers here...
I had a subscription to TAS (got it right this time) for a few years and was thinking they must be full of crap.
I took a road trip to listen to some products that they'd reviewed and they were spot on.
I let the subscription lapse but if I"m interested in something I'll check out their website for a review.
If they say Frank's amp is the cat's meow it's a safe bet that it is.