X5 versus X4

Bingenito

Re: X5 versus X4
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2022, 01:01 pm »
I got this covered!

The bases of the x4 are in the pics below. Appear to be ~3/4" thick steel which makes sense to add mass to the base of the speaker and keep it from tipping. Very impressive build quality on these speakers.

The Spikes or Cones are in a tripod config and you can see the rear countersunk machine screw with hex head. This makes toe in changes a breeze, just tilt the speaker back from the baffle and rotate Left to Right and drop the front back down.

Rthomeint

« Reply #21 on: 21 Mar 2022, 03:20 am »
I got this covered!

The bases of the x4 are in the pics below. Appear to be ~3/4" thick steel which makes sense to add mass to the base of the speaker and keep it from tipping. Very impressive build quality on these speakers.

The Spikes or Cones are in a tripod config and you can see the rear countersunk machine screw with hex head. This makes toe in changes a breeze, just tilt the speaker back from the baffle and rotate Left to Right and drop the front back down.

Thanks for the pictures. I was trying to figure out if I could install a set of Gaia IIs I already have. With a single point contact in the back is the speaker stable?

Bingenito

« Reply #22 on: 21 Mar 2022, 10:38 am »
Could a tripod set of GAIA be done? Probably unless you have a big dog or kids hitting your speaker. I would say if that is the case shut the door because that would give me a heart-attack!

Now should you use GAIA or is the use of GAIA feet a deciding factor between an X5 and X4? I would say thrust in whatever Cloud and or Clayton advise based on your room and your gear. So if they advise X4 I see no reason why that would not be correct being that the X4 is the same to equal price of the X5.

If you have your heart set on using GAIA I would look at Herbies Giant Gliders and how they interface with the provided spikes of the X4. I am an Isoacoustics fan and have Orea under all of my gear except a Pass X250.8 and have no issues using the Herbies instead of GAIA. If you take the 2 apart and see the designs you might be more comfortable using the Herbs as well.

rich121

« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2022, 01:07 am »
Can we get a picture of the base on the X4 so we can see the feet that ship with the speaker?

I also would like to see a picture of the bottom of an X4 speaker showing the spike location/pattern.
Also, what size bolt/thread is used?

kd4ylq

• Esse Quam Videri
« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2022, 01:17 am »
Thanks for posting the photos - very helpful!

Bingenito

« Reply #25 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:27 am »
You do not need more pics. See the rear hex screw that is the rear spike. The 2 front are on the left and right of the baffle. Thread pitch I dont know but the spikes are the same as on my timber nation rack and look like the Dayton Audio spikes. Probably M6 if I had to guess.

rich121

« Reply #26 on: 22 Mar 2022, 07:39 pm »
Doesn't appear to be the most stable base.
If I do get these I will have to keep a close eye on my English Mastiff and make sure he knows his boundaries :)
He is only 4 months and already 85 pounds.
Here is a pic of his 6 year old grandpa, 'Trump' @290 lbs and 36" @ shoulder with mail carrier:

Bingenito

« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2022, 10:14 pm »
The base is very stable for its intended purpose which has nothing to do with equestrian use.

osullis

« Reply #28 on: 20 Apr 2022, 12:45 am »

Here is a pic of his 6 year old grandpa, 'Trump' @290 lbs and 36" @ shoulder with mail carrier:

OMG. I suppose an apt name for a big dog!  8)

numerousclaus

« Reply #29 on: 9 Oct 2022, 02:37 pm »
Yes, the X4 and X5 sound very similar. Many of our X5 customers that own low powered SET need the extra high efficiency and 8 Ohm characteristics that the X5s provide. But, most audiophiles own higher power, push-pull tube or solid state amps and would prefer to have a passive version, so we produce both.

Clayton
spatialaudiolab.com

since the x4s are 2 or 2 1/2 way, even with their fairly similar sound, which one has the ever so slidely fuller midrange with a littlebit more body?
i´ll take everything i get for my not so well recorded alternative music.

Bingenito

« Reply #30 on: 9 Oct 2022, 10:40 pm »
The X4s are fairly tolerant to so so recordings. The amt crossover on the X4 is smooth and forgiving and I was able to listen to hard rock or metal when in the mood without being driven out of the room.

I have listened to Five Finger Death Punch, Alterbridge, Seven Mary Three acoustic albums and all are enjoyable.