8 ho ? Any love ?

Norman bates

8 ho ? Any love ?
« on: 5 Feb 2021, 04:53 am »
Can't  find much on them.........

SuperXRSSeattle

Re: 8 ho ? Any love ?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2021, 09:56 pm »
These ones? Wish you were here, I got those. 200+ hours and I'm not afraid to BLAST 'EM! (they can take it) or they are taking it. In progress and I need a better amp. I need 200 watts of pure muscle, nothing less. Let's have it

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKHQwc5Mx-8/

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:05 pm »
They are really good, sound like a larger version of the RS5.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #3 on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:17 pm »
Is the RS5 4.5"? I'll measure these 8's I got an we'll just see  :popcorn:

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #4 on: 5 Feb 2021, 10:39 pm »
Norm?

Norman bates

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2021, 01:03 am »
Yea, it does interest me, the idea of a 1.5 way.  Although baffle step takes place a bit above the “200hz” point.  I remember an old pdf by Klipsch showing the effects of putting a heresy on a stand, there was basically a huge hole below 200hz, perhaps this baffle step is going after that.

I noticed L0rdGwyn had a pair, then sold a couple of months later.

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #6 on: 7 Feb 2021, 05:11 am »
What about an F8 first watt for these. Would that be good? I need muscular, speed, finnesse.

RDavidson

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2021, 07:12 am »
I recommend the Pass XA25

SuperXRSSeattle

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2021, 11:12 pm »
RDavidson, thanks! Good to hear from you on it. At the moment I'm not sure what I'm going to do - rethinking what price tier I need to be in for these.

zimmer266

« Reply #9 on: 4 May 2021, 11:10 pm »
Super 8 High Outputs?

I have the monitors, and they have been excellent choices for me. I like a wide variety of music, and they have broken in slowly. Louis encouraged me to turn things up, which hasn't always been an option. I did buy them a pair of Skylans, just like in the pictures!  8)

They are very revealing of changes in source and cables. It's just what we sometimes seem to want, to be able to hear differences, that is. If restlessness and nervosa can be quelled a bit, or there comes a point where synergy blossoms, then for a shiny moment, your system sounds as good as any system you've ever put together. I've had that with the Super 8 High Outputs. I wasn't looking at them initially, but a discussion with Louis led to the decision to try this configuration. They don't seem to show up on the regular menu. I have an assortment of lower powered amps, and these speakers work with all of them.

And then I changed something, and it's different again. Or the setup favors a different set of recordings. Or if the DAC was upgraded from the prior place holder, everything is new all over again.

I am using the monitors in a nearfield (6-7ft) setup with slight toe-in. There is a distinct sweet spot with this setup. It might be different without the toe in, or in a different room. I haven't tried that, because this system in this room sounds best this way.
Project DS2 CD box > Bifrost 2 > Aric Audio Unlimited II > Inspire Fire Bottle with KT77s > Omegas.
Thorens 160 Super refurb, Jelco 550 > Dynavector 20x2 H > Project phono box DS2 USB > DAC, for the analog side > etc
MMF 1.5 > AT VM95SH > Project > etc

There is a high likelihood that this whole system is still breaking in. I picked a Frybaby to speed up the cabling breakin, so that I can hear the system without one bit or another still without its requisite hours.

Acozynut

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2021, 02:25 am »
Zimmer266 anything to report after the break in?  I have a pair of the CAMS and keep thinking about the 1.5 with the 8

zimmer266

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2021, 06:43 pm »
The Omega system has gone through some changes these past few months. The monitors have broken in quite well, and for a while I stopped thinking of a subwoofer.

The CD is unchanged, but the dac is now a Holo Spring, first version, KTE edition > Coda FET 0.2b preamp > First Watt J2 > Omegas. With these changes I have a silent background, much improved mid-bass and bass, and truly increased detail vs the older setup. It's not fatiguing. The digital is impressive to the point that I think I should now consider improvements on the vinyl side. The Thorens was sold over the summer, and I'm using an MMF 1.5 for the moment.

Elsewhere in the house there's a system with Vandersteen 2ci and a single 2wq subwoofer. I am not certain that the 2ci's needed a sub, but now that I've heard it I wouldn't go back. I might like to find 2ce Sig IIs, or maybe move stuff around to try the S8HO's in the bigger room, with a good sub. The Omegas with the upstairs setup are much faster than the Vandies. Both are musically full and enjoyable. I've come around to thinking that the Omegas might deserve their own sub, however.

zimmer266

Super 8 High Output monitor
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:33 pm »
These speakers are in a small bedroom with some exposed brick behind the system. In truth the system has been tough to sit with for longer sessions probably due to the room, and the all-solid-state collection of items. In the interim a REL T5x showed up, which seems perfect for the space, and balanced out the presentation. I'd also rotated through some phono stages, settling on the Pro-Ject DS2 USB. The Parks Puffin and the Darlington MP-7 each have their merits, but the latter now has place in the downstairs system.

The latest addition is a Pass Aleph 5. These were built around 1997-2002, I believe. It has only two gain stages, for 60w at 8 ohms, and 90w at 4 ohms. It turns out that this amp is an excellent match for the Super 8HO monitors. The preamp is still the Coda, connected by balanced inputs on the back of this industrial cube space heater. I have had one of these on my low key wish list for years. Beauty in the eye stuck of the beholder, and all that. Midrange has always been a strength of Omegas. The Aleph 5 plays to that. The First Watt J2 may have been a tiny bit faster in this system, but the Aleph 5 has a little butter for your toast. And the Omegas just share all of the glory with each change made upstream.

I might leave this amp and speaker pairing alone for a while. For a few months at least while i catch up on some music, and while it's cold outside.