TVC between tube cdplayer and tube poweramp?

P@ulus

TVC between tube cdplayer and tube poweramp?
« on: 16 Jul 2008, 09:13 am »
I was looking for a reasonably priced tube preamp. Then I got the idea that a simple but good volume-pot (such as a DACT) or passive preamp could be good for me (because the CD player, which is 95% used as only source, has a tube outputstage and should be able to drive the (tube)power amp well). I tried the cdplayer direct on the poweramp and it was definitely loud enough. So i think the voltage/impedance match is OK, but i could hear that the volume control in the CD player is crap, so therefore the idea of a passive preamp...
And then this morning I read an ad of someone selling a Promitheus TVC v3 here in Holland for 300 euros (which considering shipping cost and VAT and so on i think is a good price) and read some reviews which made me curious and very interested.

My question now is if the TVC could or would be good for me, as it is of course a slightly different approach than a simple volume-pot?

O yeah, CD player is a Marantz CD6000 with Heart tube stage, power amp is a recently bought Dynaco Stereo70 seriesII...

thanks for all your ideas...

Paul
(Tilburg, Netherlands)

jadis boy

Re: TVC between tube cdplayer and tube poweramp?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2008, 10:07 am »
I was looking for a reasonably priced tube preamp. Then I got the idea that a simple but good volume-pot (such as a DACT) or passive preamp could be good for me (because the CD player, which is 95% used as only source, has a tube outputstage and should be able to drive the (tube)power amp well). I tried the cdplayer direct on the poweramp and it was definitely loud enough. So i think the voltage/impedance match is OK, but i could hear that the volume control in the CD player is crap, so therefore the idea of a passive preamp...
And then this morning I read an ad of someone selling a Promitheus TVC v3 here in Holland for 300 euros (which considering shipping cost and VAT and so on i think is a good price) and read some reviews which made me curious and very interested.

My question now is if the TVC could or would be good for me, as it is of course a slightly different approach than a simple volume-pot?

O yeah, CD player is a Marantz CD6000 with Heart tube stage, power amp is a recently bought Dynaco Stereo70 seriesII...

thanks for all your ideas...

Paul
(Tilburg, Netherlands)
hi paul
tell me the output voltage CD and the input sensitivity amplifier and how ohm
but i think is ok because the all cd's is up to 2.0 V output and is ok for every amplifier
the result is beautiful with TVC more better from dact volume :banana piano:
it tryed
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2008, 11:32 am by jadis boy »

P@ulus

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2008, 02:08 pm »
Hello Jadis Boy,

I quickly checked the www, and on

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/heartcd6000le_e.html

I found that the output voltage of the Heart CD6000 would be 2.3V, and on 

http://www.mcmlv.org/Archive/HiFi/DynSt70ser2.pdf

i found that the input sensitivity of the Dynaco would be 1.3V for maximum power output.

Do you mean that in your opinion the TVC sounds better than a DACT? Of course you do have the more expensive version of the TVC...

Thanks,

Paul

jadis boy

« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2008, 03:11 pm »
hi paul
i think is all ok and the output voltage and the input sensitivity is ok .
i have in my system the dact volume the gold series 23 steps and i test  and promitheus cheap version the result is
+1000 promitheus
more soundstage
more details
and more ................
and now i not have the c-core tvc yet  now i play with dact volume

the promitheus tvc he have  my friend and give me for test

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2008, 04:26 pm »
Hello Paul,
 There are many consumers out there using the TVC with tube amplifiers. A recent review of one of our tube amplifiers was conducted with the Promitheus TVC with very good results http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0307/bella_extreme_3205.htm.

Given the high(er) output of your CD player and the average input sensitivity of your amp, I think it would be a good match. The Promitheus TVC seems to be a very good valued product that is receiving high praise. I have not heard this product personally but do have a lot of customers that own it and are very happy with it.

A DACT attenuator (or any passive volume control) would work given the application but I do believe you would get better results sonically with the TVC

Disclaimer: I am not associated with Promitheus Audio in any way.

P@ulus

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2008, 08:43 pm »
Guess what, I have it here at home!  :D
The seller is kind enough to simply bring it over to my house to let me try it out for the weekend. Not tonight though, tired of a hard day's work, but tomorrow my girlfriend is away (with the kids) so I'll have all evening (and possibly) night to listen to it.
keep you posted!

jadis boy

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2008, 06:27 am »
 :drums: :drums: :drums:
you are lucky this is the best for you

P@ulus

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2008, 11:07 pm »
okay, here we go on first impressions;

:drool: :thumb: aa :bounce: :dance:

just to give you an idea!

In a few words: detail, transparent, more space, it's just more 'there', it SWINGS! I noticed I was listening tracks till the end, where I would otherwise skip or go to my next test-track. It kept me interrested, drawn into the music more then before. THAT is (I realised this tonight) what I was looking for. To me that's the best proof of this being a GOOD product.

So far, very happy!!! I don't think the TVC is going to leave this house...

(and no, I'm also not sponsored by the manufacturer, but I am gonna drop them a mail telling them how much I like it)

jadis boy

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jul 2008, 03:04 pm »
okay, here we go on first impressions;

:drool: :thumb: aa :bounce: :dance:

just to give you an idea!

In a few words: detail, transparent, more space, it's just more 'there', it SWINGS! I noticed I was listening tracks till the end, where I would otherwise skip or go to my next test-track. It kept me interrested, drawn into the music more then before. THAT is (I realised this tonight) what I was looking for. To me that's the best proof of this being a GOOD product.

So far, very happy!!! I don't think the TVC is going to leave this house...

(and no, I'm also not sponsored by the manufacturer, but I am gonna drop them a mail telling them how much I like it)

good choice
i think you believe me now 
tvc is the best  :thumb:

P@ulus

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:26 am »
I bought it. It just sounds great!  aa

Only drawback I found is that the volume appears to be lower with the TVC between CD-player and poweramp. But as I discussed with the seller; we both think it APPEARS to be lower, but really isn't. He actually checked this with an SPL meter. The sound is so much more clean that you just feel you want to turn it up a bit more  8)

For me this topic can be closed, I'm one happy TVC-owner.......................................................

kind regards to all,

Paul

denjo

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jul 2008, 10:43 am »

Hi P@ulus
Looks like you are experiencing TVC magic! I agree wholly with your description of what a TVC can do to one's system. Its like everything has its own spatial orbit. And, do you realise how easy it is to follow the lyrics of a song or a conversation? I use my Bent TAP TVC for TV and A/V viewing and it is simply unsurpassable. Enjoy your TVC!

Best regards
Dennis