Better Apps than Lumin?

JoshK

Better Apps than Lumin?
« on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:10 am »
So I bought into the Sonore Signature Rendu (orig, not the new one) and it is quite good at what it does (ethernet > HDMI into my PS Audio Directstream DAC).  ROON is out of the equation, which is ok, because I am not sure I want to pay their prices for just a nice interface, however, Lumin is buggy as hell.  Lumin is what I use now, anyone found anything better than Lumin for streaming (other than ROON)? 

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Better Apps than Lumin?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:19 am »
So I bought into the Sonore Signature Rendu (orig, not the new one) and it is quite good at what it does (ethernet > HDMI into my PS Audio Directstream DAC).  ROON is out of the equation, which is ok, because I am not sure I want to pay their prices for just a nice interface, however, Lumin is buggy as hell.  Lumin is what I use now, anyone found anything better than Lumin for streaming (other than ROON)?
The PSA Bridge II is an exceptional piece.  Ethernet in and done.  Roon is more than a fancy GUI IMO but there are other options too such as mControl. 
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 01:42 pm by jtwrace »

rodrigaj

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:28 pm »
What exactly do you mean when you say "Lumin is buggy as hell." I have used Lumin for 4 years, first with my Sonore Rendu and now with my PSA DS DAC / Bridge II combo and it has been quite reliable. I have tried Bubbleupnp, Linn Kazoo, mConnect, and find Lumin the best. I am assuming that you are using minimserver plus Bubbleup server (for openhome emulation) on your NAS.

JoshK

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:32 pm »
What exactly do you mean when you say "Lumin is buggy as hell." I have used Lumin for 4 years, first with my Sonore Rendu and now with my PSA DS DAC / Bridge II combo and it has been quite reliable. I have tried Bubbleupnp, Linn Kazoo, mConnect, and find Lumin the best. I am assuming that you are using minimserver plus Bubbleup server (for openhome emulation) on your NAS.

Yes, that is what I'm using.  What I mean by buggy as hell is it constantly looses connection with the Lumin (software side, not the streaming), as in every five minutes and I have to close and reopen it to regain control of the Lumin.  It crashes quite often as well.

rodrigaj

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:03 pm »
The behavior you describe is not because of the Lumin App. I am not a LAN expert, but I would definitely suspect network problems. I have mine connected through a Cisco Switch that connects to my router. The only time I get any problems from the Lumin App is when I update my music library on the NAS and forget to rescan the music library.

rodrigaj

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:09 pm »
I should have also mentioned that I have a solid WIFI connection for the iPad Controller as well, with an Airport Express that ties into the same Cisco switch.

JoshK

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:17 pm »
I'm using a hi-end Linksys and my cable modem is slaved.  From what I have read it is very common.

Edit: I am using Lumin on my Huawei tablet (Android), not my Ipad.  I can try the Ipad to see if it is better because I think I read that the Android one is the one plagued with issues.

rodrigaj

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:28 pm »
I think you will find the use of the iPad will clear things up.

mav52

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:37 pm »
I've had my Lumin since they first came out and I can tell you the app, its not buggy, BUT of course I use a Ipad.   Lumin's engineers are very active on a few forums and are very attentive to users comments and provide timely updates to their apps and firmware.   I've found that your network plays a huge role in the performance of steaming or even getting data off a NAS.

FYI For apple products :

iOS 8.0 or later
    iPad and iPhone supported (2014 models or later)

JoshK

« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2018, 01:13 am »
Ok, so I tried it on my Ipad and it is MUCH more stable.

The only downside is the scrolling isn't nearly as good as in the android app, guess I have to learn the other ways of finding my albums (5500+ albums currently).

I ordered the PS Audio Bridge II, so I may experiment with ROOn to see if I like it.

« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2018, 02:00 pm by JoshK »