Resistor shoot out !

RAW

Resistor shoot out !
« on: 9 Jul 2008, 06:04 am »
With a few changes to products in crossover parts selections such as moving to Mundorf capacitors which will be come standard capacitors in our kits we have also looked at resistors as well.

Not to replace any brand resistor but rather have a few other options.Options are always good!

Top -Duelund 15 watt, axial lead,      
Non-inductive, pure silver lead-out, phenolic tube, pure graphite resistive element.$18.95 each
Middle -MILLS - MRC50 Series 50-watt Power Resistors high power aluminum housed resistors use
centerless ground ceramic cores $4.50 each
Bottom -MILLS - MRA-12 Non-Inductive Wire Round Resistors $3.50 each

These will be listened to in both versions of our kits with the ribbon as well as the OW4 dome.

So far my pick  aa

Next will be
Lynk  Metal Oxide on Ceramic Core. $.50each
Sand Cast Wirewound on Ceramic Core $.25 each

Brown

Re: Resistor shoot out !
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jul 2008, 01:09 pm »
Thats refreshing. nice of you to share the info. Now my question is the rankings are based on sonics or measurements or both. Just curious as to why you made these choices. thanks again for the info. Nice to see a Manf. share the goods.

face

« Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2008, 04:31 pm »
Anything come of this?  I found this thread while researching Mundorf's new resistors that look just like Lynks.

RAW

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2008, 05:56 am »
Anything come of this?  I found this thread while researching Mundorf's new resistors that look just like Lynks.

Well been out for a long time moving and other issues so doing testing on samples and other tests was put on hold.

What I found so far. Well I just got in 24 long Dueland resistors for my personal HT3i,HT8i, and Apex LCR and Apex III for my own system.

Findings are the series L pad and or series resistors when I went from the Dueland to the Metal oxide was the most noticeable more so than I thought. When going from a 12w Mills to the Deuland again more positive notice in the move up toward the Duelands.

Are they Worth the money in series YES hands down.When i get time will do some measurements but at this point I can say not till after the new year will I have time to get into detailing this out.

face

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2008, 01:47 pm »
If you don't mind, I'll add my experience.

I'm not a fan of Mills when used in series, IMO they coloration.  Solder two in series, and it sounds much worse. 

The cheap Mundorfs sound much better, as if they pad without adding any character. 

I will soon be using a Duelund in a friend's speaker build, it will be replacing a generic sand resistor though.  I may pick up a spare Mills or Mundorf in that value just for comparison though.  If I like what I hear, I may make the switch too.