Omega SuperHemp test in 6moons

murpan

• http://www.dinletimusic.com
Omega SuperHemp test in 6moons
« on: 24 Jul 2008, 11:51 am »
Hello All

Here new test in SuperHemp in 6moons web sites.

Regards

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/omega7/superhemp.html

gbeard

• Contributing writer--Positive Feedback
Re: Omega SuperHemp test in 6moons
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2008, 03:03 am »
Hey Louis,

Did he have the Alnico version or the ferrite version? It wasn't really clear to me in the review.

Cheers,
gb

spyder187

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2008, 09:19 pm »
"As well as exploiting the benefits of the hemp (Omega is the first manufacturer to use hemp as part of an OEM driver design), Louis uses an Alnico magnet in his SuperHemp driver."

As quoted from http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/omega7/superhemp.html...

edit: Oh wait.. I can't be for sure either. I see now that he mentions both ferrite and alnico models. Hmm..

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2008, 10:07 pm »
I thought that overall it was a positive review although, as the reviewer admitted, he has a bias towards the smoothed over "British" sound of his ProAc D2's. I felt that the review wasn't as comprehensive as other 6 Moons reviews. It would've been nice if instead of stock photos provided by the manufacturer, he provided pics of the room and associated equipment that were used for the audition/review. 
I also thought that it wasn't clear if the reviewed speaker used the alnico drivers or not.

-Roy

el dub

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2008, 11:06 pm »
I'm guessing it was the alnicos. The author was comparing price points between his speaker of choice and the omegas at the alnico end of the scale if'n I remember correctly.

lw

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jul 2008, 12:15 am »
I don't know what to make of it.  It seems to me that the reviewer really struggles to find something positive to say.  Given that 6moons usually gushes over just about everything they review, I don't know if I would be pleased with this if I were Louis.

--Jerome

Jon L

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jul 2008, 12:33 am »
Proac D2 has better bass definition and extension?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:04 am »
IMO the reviewer should have not gone through his struggle getting the Super Hemps set up correctly. He should finish tweaking the set up and then commence the review. It seems like he didn't live with the speakers for very long. I gathered that he thought the Hemps were good speakers but didn't fit his personal taste.

-Roy

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:18 am »
Huh, if I was to review the review, I wouldn't give it a very good review.

Thats fine with me, I'd like to buy some Maxhemps before prices go up any more...  :green:

Dave

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:22 am »
Roy,

What concerns me is that his first comment about the speakers was "Honestly, out of the box they stunk. Bass was weak and 'hoot hoot' one note, the midrange was as flat as a pancake and I couldn't help but feel there was something basically wrong with the speaker's treble presentation. It sounded staticky, confused and aggressive. I wasn't happy," and there will be a lot of people who stop reading at that point.  He didn't start to set things straight for another paragraph.

First and foremost people are going to care about how a loudspeaker sounds  The review should have put the setup concerns at the end of the article after he had done the review proper.  The author creates a terrible first impression that might be very hard for readers to overcome.

--Jerome

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2008, 01:58 am »
Maybe Louis needs to buy some ad space in 6moons. :lol: I'll have to agree, I was surprised and shocked by those comments. At least it wasn't all negative and he had some positive things to say about resolution  and detail retrieval but I think that he's dead wrong when he disses or offers very little praise for the Super Hemp's tone. I don't have the Supers but I imagine that they posses similar tone to myHemp Dipoles. aa

-Roy

mca

« Reply #11 on: 27 Jul 2008, 02:03 am »
Remember, just because one person does not gush over them, does not make it a bad speaker. Everyone has different tastes and maybe the Omega sound was not his cup of tea. I do hae to agree that the review was not up to snuff for 6Moons...

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jul 2008, 02:30 am »
Well....the reviewer did say this:

Light up the night
The SuperHemps are special as well. Their ability to focus recordings with a high degree of illumination, speed, accuracy to the event and rhythmic acuity is their strong suit. The SHs placed me deep within the recording, every guitar string pluck, bass drum whack, brush on drum head and voice on mic sounding alive, real and in the room. The SuperHemps are marvels of energy and activity, that old PRaT is in abundance. Like hanging a curve at the Indy 500 or jetting across the planet in the Concorde, the SuperHemps swiftly let go of the notes as they transport you on a fast-paced ride. For lovers of speed, articulation, detail and huge soundstaging, the Omega SuperHemps provide thrills and chills. For $2,750 tops, the Omega SuperHemps present high value and great musicality.

He likes his ProAcs with their sweet, polite and restrained sound. Very British  :roll:. Have a little coffee in your cream, sir? :wink: Frankly, I'd probably be put to sleep with his discreet speakers. I like the fast, dynamic "be here now" feeling of a Louis's hemp single drivers. :green: I want to be in the room with the players not looking at them through tinted glass. 

-Roy
« Last Edit: 28 Jul 2008, 06:20 am by rajacat »

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #13 on: 27 Jul 2008, 05:12 am »
Yeah I wasn't impressed with the review. I haven't heard his pro-acs but cant imagine someone finding the SH to not have great tone. Mine are spookily accurate, tonally. I would not say these are perfect speakers, but any criticisms I could level are different to the ones he did. I imagine he had the Alnico, that was y feeling, but I would clarification. Would be nice if he had a depp hemp or two as well. That would put the price more inline with hie pro-acs. He doesn't even mention the deep hemp is available IIRC.

ZLS

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2008, 10:43 am »
    This review is what I refer to as the Sexual Harassment Review.  It is a, "Nice But" review.  Every time the reviewer praises the SH, it is always modified by some sort of negative statement. 
    The impression I received from this review, and it is solely my personal opinion is that the reviewer went out of his way to be able to claim that he gave a positive review while at the same time making sure the review would not generate sales for the manufacturer.  Let us be honest people, the reason any manufacturer submits a product for review is in the anticipation that the review will incease the sales of the product. 
    I also wonder where the DH is, perhaps Louis can enlighten us.  I will say this, if the reviewer was offered a DH to review along with the SH and declined to do so, well as we say in Chicago, "He can tell his story walking" 

vtman

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2008, 11:24 am »
this review did nothing to make this very good loudspeaker better known, truthfully I don't think Ken is that good a reviewer to begin with  ,Personally I am shocked , I have heard from others that Paul Candy is the guy to go to for single driver speakers and I would agree 100% , why did they not go there ?  Louis knows Paul is the best for that application, and yes I am noting more and more 6moons
takes care of regular paying customers much more ,look at Zucable for instance ,the Eminance drivers for sure are not as good a the Alnico  Hemps but a Lunar award + pictures in several random places in 6 moons for sure does not hurt ,politics stink
I hope I have made my point.

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jul 2008, 05:43 pm »
Well, I don't want to villify the reviewer.  I mean, this place is a hangout for Omega supporters and owners, so it is probably fair to expect that any review of an Omega speaker product is going to be frowned upon that grades them as anything less than the greatest thing since sliced bread.

As Roy noted above, overall the review was positive and I can't argue with that.  But the author clearly lacks a certain enthusiasm for the Super Hemps that I find disappointing.  The ALNICO drivers have completely eliminated the few criticisms that I had of my Max Hemps, and I think it was my hope that a reviewer would have enjoyed an experience similar to that of so many of us here.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2008, 01:59 am by jsaliga »

el dub

« Reply #17 on: 3 Aug 2008, 03:03 pm »
Anyone able to explain why the Shindo amp of the reviewer and the Omegas produced sub-par sound?

We have our super 6's hooked up to 20 watts of push/pull and the results were instant tube bliss. I know the 6" and 8" alnicos aren't exactly the same, nor the integrated manley and shindo but what gives?

lw