Omega vs Audio Nirvana

DaveBSC

Omega vs Audio Nirvana
« on: 16 Jul 2012, 04:49 am »
I'm seriously considering the Omega Super 6 Alnico monitor, but I'm also curious about Audio Nirvana. Any Omega owners have experience with AN drivers? The AN Super 8 Alnico drivers in cabinets by Wyatt would be about the same cost as the Omega 6 monitor. My concern with the AN is the treble rise - between about 2Khz - 10kHz there's a 10+dB rise, and it just keeps going up until the driver reaches its upper frequency limit.

AN's 6 Alnico is a bit flatter overall, but there's still some wild swings in the 3-8Khz region which is worrying.

The quoted +/- 3dB range of the Omega Super 6 seems to be way better than most competitors, most of whom don't list a range at all.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Omega vs Audio Nirvana
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:05 am »
Louis is extremely pleasant, sweats all the details, and builds to the highest quality.  And the reviews are all stellar.

"Common Sense" is the opposite to all that.  Years ago (different name) threatened to sue me after I tried to set up an audiofest that would have included him, won't show gear outside his showroom (where tone controls have been found hidden), cabinets resonate (thin/poorly braced), got the worse audio product review I've ever read (made worse by his reply).

Refering to the "Common Sense" Alnico 6, I like the pleated cloth surround, but a magnet weight of 0.8 pounds is laughable sad, and it only handles 15 watts??

DaveBSC

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:16 am »
Thanks, appreciate the insight. Any chance you have a link for that bad review? Most of the impressions I've seen from people using AN drivers have been pretty positive.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2012, 09:21 am »
Sorry, no link and can't recall his previous name.  If you're energetic enough start searching ecoustics.com from roughly 10 years ago.

I apoligize to Louis for muck raking on his circle, but have no patience for snake oil, especially if it takes away from an honest guy.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2012, 01:36 pm »
In my country this artisan built anclousures for Super8 and Super10 (not CF models) according David plans, the 10inches was named La Gioconda.
He inform a filter is mandatory with both drivers. On this video is run a TL sub(Casavant LT10) and the Super10 Nirvana.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PQ2KLUkvYDQ

Louis O

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jul 2012, 09:32 pm »
Hi DaveBSC and JLM,

Many thanks for your posts and also the kind words by JLM I really appreciate it a lot.

My Alnico 6 is available as complete speakers and with all the time and effort as well as the costs involved in producing them I do think the price is a great value. The drivers are about the flattest that I have ever seen in a single driver and my motor structure is done the with machine parts and the old pot/slug method. As with all my drivers and cabinets they are American made.

I have just recived my latest 6.5 Ferrite driver prototype and will be offering this to the DIY community. This is the beginning as I will have quite a few in my new DIY range in given time.

The response curve is also very flat and very well extended. I may make a few in completed cabinet form. These will be 94 dB.

More to follow,
Louis