Canton Ergo 100s

doggie

Canton Ergo 100s
« on: 7 Sep 2023, 02:01 pm »
I was given a pair of Canton Ergo 100 speakers. These had good writeups in the early 90's and cost $3k then. They are in great shape and I want to set them up in a second system mainly for TV and occasionally music via Qobuz. The speakers are free but I need a good bang-for-the-buck integrated amplifier to drive them. Old review here: https://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/audio_03-1992_canton.html

The Cantons are rated at 93db so that is a plus for choosing the power of the amp. My feeling is that underpowering a speaker is a problem but having extra power on tap is usually a good thing. Any thoughts on how much power I will need to drive them to satisfying "action movie" levels in a 20 x 15 room?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 7 Sep 2023, 06:00 pm by doggie »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Canton Ergo 100s
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2023, 01:43 am »
This speaker not easy to drive as most Cantons, due the low sensitivity 93dB and two parallel woofers what made the impedance fall under the nominal 4 ohms in the bass, reaching 2 ohms according this graphic below, in my experience with Canton you will need a mus-cu-lar 200W Class D or a Solid State with a b.i.g power supply capable of working well in 2 ohms, what not easy to find or cheap.

From 1985 to 1992 I had a similar model with 88dB and also 4 ohms, it made my new pro-audio pre-amp blow a diode in just afew days.