Spectral Model DMC-10 Preamplifier - A Succesful Repair

John Tulett

• Fascinated by vintage audio equipment
History
* I purchased this Spectral DMC-10 preamplifier, serial number 10491, new in 1983 from Straight Gain Electronics, Toronto ON.  I was very impressed with this preamplifier's sound quality; it performed extremely well with my Oracle Premier turntable originally fitted with a Kiseki Blue MC phono cartridge.

Figure 1. Spectral model DMC-10 Preamplifier - photo taken after repairs completed.
* I enjoyed listening to my audio equipment throughout 18 years of worldwide assignments in Canada, Japan, UAE and UK.  Although it was in full working condition, sadly I had to put my audio equipment into storage in 2001 due to shortage of living space.
* In 2022 I brought my preamplifier out of storage and powered it up for the first time in 20 years.  Although it was basically working and usable, there was something wrong with it.

Failure Issue
* Initially I noticed an increase in hum noise, later followed by the protection monitor LED illuminating Red.  At this stage the preamplifier's power supply had become hot and the unit inoperative.
* The heavy current load on the power supply was finally traced to two of the bypass capacitors leaking.  Although the leaking capacitor's electrolyte had spilled onto the printed circuit board, fortunately the damage was mostly on surface, and I was able to fully clean the affected area. 
* As a precaution considering the age of this unit, I felt it best to replace all electrolytic capacitors with new. 

Summary of Electrolytic Capacitors replacement

Table 1. Capacitor replacement summary.

Internal view of replaced components

Figure 2. New bypass capacitors (left side), new power supply capacitors (right side).

Figure 3. New power supply capacitors (center), protection circuit axial capacitors replaced by radials (right side).

Parts replaced

Figure 4. Original components replaced.
* Left bin: Power Supply capacitors qty 16.
* Center bin: Bypass capacitors qty 24 (two of these were leaking).
* Right bin: Protection circuit; Bipolar axial capacitors qty 2, axial capacitor qty 1.

Final notes
* The reason for this writing is to share my experience repairing a Spectral DMC-10 preamplifier.  It's not an endorsement of any component supplier, just to share what worked for me.
* Other than replacing all electrolytic capacitors and adjusting the internal trim-pots for DC offset, output bias current, and gain balance as per the DMC-10 Operation and Maintenance Manual, I did not make any modifications or changes to the circuitry.  With the excellent specifications of this unit (Fig. 5), I did not see the need for any changes.
* At time of this writing all repairs have been operating without issue, now enjoying listening to my repaired DMC-10 preamplifier with my rebuilt Oracle Premier turntable fitted with new Phasemation PP-2000 MC cartridge - this setup looks like new and sounds better than ever!

Appendix

Figure 5. Spectral DMC-10 Specifications - from brochure scan.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Spectral Model DMC-10 Preamplifier - A Succesful Repair
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2023, 06:10 am »
Congratulations for the successful repair.  :thumb:
Nice pre-amp, hard to see a 1MHz preamp today.
Thanks for posting.

toocool4

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2023, 07:07 am »
Wow, great work John Tulett  :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2023, 12:06 pm »
Love seeing great vintage gear brought back to life and making music again!  Congratulations!  :thumb:

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2023, 03:53 pm »
What a nice piece to restore. Thanks for posting

John Tulett

• Fascinated by vintage audio equipment
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2023, 01:03 am »
Nice pre-amp, hard to see a 1MHz preamp today.
Thanks for posting.
Thank you for your kind comments and reply.
Indeed, the specifications of this preamp (Fig. 5 in the Appendix) were impressive back in 1983 and I believe still to this day.
To share one factor why I chose this DMC-10 preamp, was its phono stage directly accepted the low-voltage output from a moving coil cartridge, without the need for a separate step-up transformer or other device.
While most high-end preamps today readily accept either low output moving coil cartridges or higher output moving magnet cartridges, it was not common in the early 1980s.     

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2023, 06:33 am »
Prof.Keith O.Johnson knew what he was doing  :thumb:
One of the greats in Audio.
https://referencerecordings.com/people/prof-keith-o-johnson/
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2023, 06:02 pm by FullRangeMan »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #7 on: 27 Aug 2023, 01:02 pm »
John,

Thanks for sharing. An excellent writeup  :thumb:

You will agree, that this is more of a restoration project, which is important since capacitors age and in this case we are talking about 40 years. Replacement of caps is fairly easy, you just have to be careful about surface temperatures on the pcb so you don’t damage the pcb. Re-engineering however, is a very different ball of wax, especially when you are talking about a Spectral design which are high speed (>1MHZ) and the susceptibility of such to oscillations!

I don’t do much restorations, my last one was a restoration of a Sansui 9090 integrated amplifier (from the 70’s). Construction quality back then was pretty amazing. A lot you can learn with a scope and sine wave generator!

I currently enjoy doing de novo builds, for no other reason than boredom to be honest  :thumb:

Here are three I completed this year:

Poseidon’s Voice MOFO
Poseidon’s Voice FH9HVX
Poseidon’s Voice Neurochrome Modulus 686

Many of us advanced hobbyists share the fruits of our labor over on the diyaudio forum, so I encourage you to post over there as well  :green:

One frequent section is ‘Rawson’s Repair Reflections’ where we all collectively end up repairing the horribly constructed builds by Rawson of Nelson Pass’ designs (giving him no credit and only profiting by the way). One can learn a lot from someone else’s mistakes, especially as a hobbyist. Please take a look, it’s fun to see how bad some constructions are and then rectify them to be safe, and operable.

In one month’s time, Burning Amp Festival will be held which I go to every year. It’s fun hanging out with dignitaries such as Nelson Pass, Tom Christiansen, Mark Johnson, etc…and this year, it is in Petaluma, CA (wine country). Please join us if you can!

Best,
Anand.