Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?

Delta77

Re: Tube pre amps with Odyssey amps ?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Feb 2018, 09:10 pm »
I have a Decware CSP3 , preamp/headphone amp,, coming this week. I will pull out the CANDELLA to make a comparison..
I'm expecting a lot from this preamp ..( hand made with no circuit board , point to point wiring,, Added Beeswax capacitors. ).

beancounter1

« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2018, 04:29 am »
Magicbus. As in any other component in your system, unfortunately, there are cost factors. In my experience, as a general rule, the lower the cost of the tube pre amp the lower the resolution, the lower separation of each instrument as played in the space recorded, accentuated inaccurate bass response, and more limited sound stage depth. Clime the ladder though and you will be amazed at the transparency the Odysseys amps are capable of. If you have planar speakers though I would heartily recommend the solid state Tempest. It has the same quality of the power amps that should be illegal at its  price point.

A_shah

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2018, 05:35 am »
I have a Decware CSP3 , preamp/headphone amp,, coming this week. I will pull out the CANDELLA to make a comparison..
I'm expecting a lot from this preamp ..( hand made with no circuit board , point to point wiring,, Added Beeswax capacitors. ).

Congratulations !
This should be a fabulous pre-amp ! I believe it is also a headphone amp ?
Asghar

passion4audio

I tried two preamps - Don Sachs SP14 and Concert Fidelity 080A
« Reply #23 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:55 pm »
Both are amazing with the Statos Mono Extremes (full Kismet boards, Symphonic Line Reference 16K caps, Quattro Reference Cable Upgrade).

In this particular system, the Concert Fidelity provides a bit more detail and speed, which is a nice combo.  The Don Sachs, however, adds a bit of "body" and some warmth which is great - especially for female vocals and such.

tomgresh

« Reply #24 on: 8 Mar 2018, 05:50 pm »
Agree with Rollo. Synergy is the name of the game...

Thunder240

« Reply #25 on: 10 Apr 2018, 06:38 am »
Has anyone tried their Odyssey amps with a Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL 2.0 as a preamp? If so, what did you think? I’m looking closely at it as a combo preamp / headphone amp, but haven’t had the chance to audition it in my home system (Odyssey Stratos Stereo Plus with Philharmonic BMTs).

Of course I’d love a Candela, but considering I’d have to buy a separate headphone amp to achieve the same functionality, it’s quite a bit more expensive.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #26 on: 29 Apr 2018, 03:09 pm »
I’d be curious to know about the Audio Research SP-14 with a well upgraded Khartago set up.

Backert Labs

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 11 Nov 2018, 02:05 pm »
I would be willing to try Backert Labs if anyone can bring it over my place for comparison. I hope in a few weeks I would be able to try them with the Symphonic Line RG3 MK4 with the all out separate Turbo Power Supply.
Andy from Backert Labs here ... if you're within driving distance (MD, DE, PA, VA, NJ, NY) I'd be happy to bring one over for you, we can fire her up and see what happens?
-Andy Tebbe
President
P.S. My personal power amp is a pair of Kismet monoblocks, disguised in Stratos cases.  :D

Jim N.

• Who you callin' an audiophile?????
« Reply #28 on: 11 Nov 2018, 06:55 pm »
I have been using a Tube Audio Design TAD-150 deluxe that I bought just before Klaus announced the Candela. Got it for just under a grand I think I bought in 2005. It has worked great with my Stratos Stereo Extreme driving my Lorelei's ever since. Only negative is the wonky remote volume.

Unfortunately Paul Grzybek passed away a few years back and Bizzy Bee went with him.

Stay healthy Klaus!

stereo5

• Current System
« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2018, 02:55 am »
I had my Odyssey Stratos stereo Extreme amp set up with both an Audible Illusions Modulus 3B tube preamp and also with a Rogue RP-5 tube preamp.  They both showed off the strengths of the Stratos Extreme quite nicely.  I am a firm believer of solid state amplification and tube preamplification.

JackD

« Reply #30 on: 22 Nov 2018, 06:35 am »
In my experience with four different Odyssey amps over the years they really shine with tube preamps of any genre though some are better than others.  As their input sensitivity is only 1 volt some care does need to be exercised with high gain tube preamps with gain much over the mid teens or if you speakers are over mid 80's in sensitivity you will find yourself with the possibility of excessive tube hiss and little flexibility on the volume control no matter how "great" the preamp sounds.  So to answer an earlier question either of the LTA preamps should be a great match as are the preamps from Modwright and several other Circle owners like Vinnie and Frank.

LesterSleepsIn

• Occasionally consternated
« Reply #31 on: 22 Nov 2018, 08:17 pm »
With my upgraded plus Kizmets in Kartago cases I use a Cary SLP-98 or a Rogue Perseus, and I tend to lean towards the Perseus in terms of preference, just lovely.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/amplifier/preamplifier/a-secrets-preamplifier-review/

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving.

Lester

AlTran

« Reply #32 on: 27 Nov 2018, 12:58 am »
Hi Andy @ Backert Labs, unfortunately I'm way out west in Los Angeles CA. Yes, I know you are using Odyssey amps & that is one of the main reasons why I looked into your product. Also at the moment I'm using the Symphonic Line RG3 Reference as my main pre. I still have some of the rarest & good sounding 12AU7 in my collection. The Candela is in my 2nd system & a pair of the RCA 7316 "U.S. NAVY" Gold pin, shiny long black plate in it. I do have all versions of the Amperex 7316 & plus Gold pin much rarer.  The RCA is better.

GUTB

« Reply #33 on: 27 Nov 2018, 05:59 am »
The problem with matching tube pres with these amps is thier high gain and low input resistance. It’s pretty annoying. Most tubed pres have high gain and/or output impedance that’s too high.

Of the tube pres that will work well with my Stratos stereo most are way too expensive for me to consider. I bought this thing used for like $800. I have a Freya that works partially but the unit is garbage that’s falling apart and I’m tired of feeding it tubes to breakand it’s not that great of a pre to begin with. I took a chance on an all-tube unit from China with low output impedance but this has too much gain so I hear tube hiss with the pot at zero.

bubbahotep

« Reply #34 on: 27 Aug 2019, 05:12 pm »
I would look into Backert Labs.  Backert Labs often pairs their preamps with Odyssey amps at consumer audio shows.

mdiehl

« Reply #35 on: 29 Aug 2019, 06:55 pm »
I started out with a Candela pre-amplifier and a Khartago power amp, which was a very nice combination.  Then I tried a Quicksilver Audio linestage and found the sound quite a bit better in my system. Greater synergy.

In my other system where I have Kismet monoblocks, I switched from a Tempest pre-amplifier to a pre-owned Audio Research LS-17 SE and found the synergy improved quite a bit, too. 

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #36 on: 29 Aug 2019, 07:28 pm »
I started out with a Candela pre-amplifier and a Khartago power amp, which was a very nice combination.  Then I tried a Quicksilver Audio linestage and found the sound quite a bit better in my system. Greater synergy.

In my other system where I have Kismet monoblocks, I switched from a Tempest pre-amplifier to a pre-owned Audio Research LS-17 SE and found the synergy improved quite a bit, too.

How would you compare the overall sound of the Candela and the Quicksilver?

mdiehl

« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2019, 07:28 pm »
The Quicksilver is warmer, but also more detailed. It is an extremely good sounding linestage, especially for the price.  If you have a dealer near you, you owe it to yourself to give it a listen.  I listened to preamps 5 times as expensive and did not think they sounded as good as the Quicksilver. I have not found anything better that combines with my Khartago amp.  A marriage made in heaven.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #38 on: 31 Aug 2019, 08:15 pm »
What tube pre amps are people using with their Odyssey amps ?
  How about an Odyssey Candela tube preamp. I'd give that one a try.

MONKEYWICKEDMONKEY

« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2019, 01:51 am »
The Quicksilver is warmer, but also more detailed. It is an extremely good sounding linestage, especially for the price.  If you have a dealer near you, you owe it to yourself to give it a listen.  I listened to preamps 5 times as expensive and did not think they sounded as good as the Quicksilver. I have not found anything better that combines with my Khartago amp.  A marriage made in heaven.

Is this the one you’re using?

http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/line-stage-preamp/