sp tech revelations vs. Coincident Pure Reference

billyg

sp tech revelations vs. Coincident Pure Reference
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 01:03 pm »
Hello Folks and Happy Thanksgiving!
I was wondering if anyone here on this forum was able to demo the pure reference from Coincident against the Revelations from SP Tech.  I have narrowed down my choices for speakers to these two.  Unfortunately I can't demo either one of them.  I have spent almost 6 months reading all reviews on the forums and from the so called pros.  I found this forum yesterday and read every page on SP tech and can use some help.  Even if you didn't hear them side by side but were able to hear the Pure reference, how do the sounds compare.

Thanks,
Bill

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: sp tech revelations vs. Coincident Pure Reference
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 02:27 pm »
Hi, and welcome to AC.   :)

I am Aether's largest single consumer customer, with 5 large Revelation MR1's and/or Continuums, and have had the Revs installed since December 07.  I havne't heard anything in the Coincident line.

I'd recommend getting to one of our homes and hearing the Revs for yourself.  A plane ticket is a small part of your overall investment.  Bob will help you with the best match up (I'm in NE Ohio).

billyg

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:23 pm »
Thanks for the offer.  I am in Connecticut.  Do you think there is someone on the forum that has a pair of the revelations that lives in Connecticut or New York?

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2009, 04:36 pm »
ted has a great idea, imo - at this price, and if you cannot find anything local, plan a little road trip or three.  i have never heard either speaker, tho i did own a pair of coincident victory's, and found them to be stellar performers.

a problem you are always going to have - especially at this price range - is limiting yourself to only two speakers.  why not salk ht4's?  why not vmps rm60's?  why not line arrays?  why not horns?  factor in bargains at used prices, and, well...  welcome to audiophilia, as well as to audio circle!   :lol:

doug s.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2009, 10:40 pm »
Like Doug says, I'd open up the list of possibilities and make every effort to hear them for yourself.  However it's really a tough call to make an accurate judgment on these things when you listen outside of controlled conditions.  In a perfect world, you would hear each possibility in your own room with your own gear.  Anything else is a guess at best.

Of all the speakers I'd be willing to take a chance on without being able to hear first, http://www.gedlee.com/ would be  at the top of my list.  Like SP Tech, they use wave guide technology and like the Coincident, they are very efficient.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2009, 12:39 am »
billyg,

Thanks for checking into us!  We have customers in your area that we can connect you up with for a demo.  Please e-mail me at:  aetheraudio@gmail.com and I'll get you hooked up.  Besides that, I think I can pretty much answer any question that you may have... and then some. :wink:

Take care,
-Bob

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2009, 03:05 am »
Like Doug says, I'd open up the list of possibilities and make every effort to hear them for yourself.  However it's really a tough call to make an accurate judgment on these things when you listen outside of controlled conditions.  In a perfect world, you would hear each possibility in your own room with your own gear.  Anything else is a guess at best.

Of all the speakers I'd be willing to take a chance on without being able to hear first, http://www.gedlee.com/ would be  at the top of my list.  Like SP Tech, they use wave guide technology and like the Coincident, they are very efficient.

This is the mfg circle for Aether Audio (i.e SP Tech).  The OP is asking about how to hear them, not about what other speakers to listen to.   If, instead, you're gonna push other speaker manufacturers I'd do it in another Circle and thread.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:23 am »
This is the mfg circle for Aether Audio (i.e SP Tech).  The OP is asking about how to hear them, not about what other speakers to listen to.   If, instead, you're gonna push other speaker manufacturers I'd do it in another Circle and thread.
uh, no, that's not actually correct, ted.  unless i am mistaken and the coincident pure reference isn't really made by coincident, but by aether audio.   :wink:  as long as the o.p. is wanting to compare the sp tech speaker to another brand, it only seems logical to ask whether he has in fact had the opportunity to audition other possible speakers and encourage him to do so, especially considering the retail price of both speakers he mentioned - lotsa choices for that kinda money. 

if you want to get literal, and stick solely to the two speakers mentioned, if i had to make a choice between them sound-unheard, i would pick the coincident pure reference, strictly because i owned a lesser model that was fantastic; the four-times more expensive model would certainly be good, imo, and i cannot imagine i'd be unhappy w/the sound.  but maybe that would be unfair of me, since i have never heard an sp tech speaker.  i actually think my first post was much better adwice, and more fair, as well.  perhaps the o.p. posted in the wrong circle...

doug s.