Timepieces - Best Distance from Rear Wall?

Bigfish

Timepieces - Best Distance from Rear Wall?
« on: 17 Sep 2007, 02:12 am »
Experienced Timepiece Owners:

As you have experimented with placement of your Timepiece Speakers, what have you found to be the optimum distance to have them out from the rear wall? 

Thanks,

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Timepieces - Best Distance from Rear Wall?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2007, 02:17 am »
No offense, and sorry to hijack, but why do so many people call the wall in front of them (but behind the speaker) the rear wall?  What do you call the wall behind you?   :o

Bigfish

« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2007, 02:27 am »
No offense, and sorry to hijack, but why do so many people call the wall in front of them (but behind the speaker) the rear wall?  What do you call the wall behind you?   :o

Well I guess this is an SLO (Significant Learning Opportunity).  I always get things screwed-up because I thought the wall the speakers were aimed at was the front wall and the wall behind them the rear wall.  I presume from your message it is the opposite - wall behind speakers is the front wall and wall the speakers are pointed at are the rear wall.  Anyway, I would like to know the optimum distance the rear of the speakers should be out from the wall?

Thanks,

Ken

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 17 Sep 2007, 02:42 am »
Sorry for being an arse....but yes   :oops: :)

Back on topic, I have found, in my room, that almost all speakers sound best in the same spot, plus or minus a few inches.  In my particular room (15.25 x 22.75 x 10) it is about 6 ft from the front wall and about 32 inches in from the side walls, toed significantly.   Weird, but it's likely the room, right?
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2007, 02:53 am by ted_b »

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2007, 07:21 am »
Hi Ken
Wish I had any room to move them around right now, but they sound very good nonetheless. I am within 8" of the left wall and only 1 1/2' in front of my huge stereo cabinet. But Bob did give me a tip to improve minor issues with reflections and image shift. My old speakers are going on Agon soon. Hope you get things dialed in.
Nick