"Brideshead Revisited"

Bigfish

"Brideshead Revisited"
« on: 10 Feb 2009, 12:36 am »
Well guys, I had the privilege of picking out one movie from BB this weekend and I already posted a review about "The Express."  One of my wife's selection was "Brideshead Revisited" and she selected it because one of her favorite actress's, Emma Thompson was in it.  Well, I sat through this movie with her last night and when it ended we both could not figure-out the purpose for making this movie.  The acting was actually good with the one note that Emma Thompson was barely in the film.  We watched this movie and kept expecting something to happen but it never did and it had a strange ending.  Anyway, I cannot recommend anyone waste 2 hours or so watching this film.  If my wife had felt differently about the film that I did I might rate it differently but here goes:  1.0 out of 5 stars.

Ken

jazzcourier

Re: "Brideshead Revisited"
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2009, 02:11 am »
Ouch! I was prepared to sit glumly for the two hours and try to keep awake but instead found myself keenly interested in this benchmark British story of class struggle before the war.Two things i will say in defense of watching this film....Nobody does it better than the BBC prop house,just the detail of the sets and settings are amazing....AND....This is the best looking movie i have seen in some time...this was shot on an army of hi-res digital cameras and the picture is downright stunning,the resolution is simply drop dead gorgeous.They truly capture the marvel of British light and when they go abroad you could bathe in the colors.The story might be a bit "precious" for some and a little too British.I think the same can be said for American icon F.Scott Fitzgerald,when his stuff gets translated to the screen it seems goofy and unattached to any reality.It stands as Literature but loses itself when adapted to the movies.

Browntrout

Re: "Brideshead Revisited"
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2009, 09:17 pm »
Please watch the ITV 1981 television series. I bought this boxed set and enjoyed all of it. I have not seen the new film version and never shall.
  To say nothing happens is really quite a bizzarre statement, to say it is too British is like saying you don't understand the story at all.
   Let us see, aristocracy, Oxford, Queen Elizabeth II, Rolls Royce, Lagonda, Catholasism, Church Of England and agnosticism not to mention drunkards, infidelity, devorce, prostitution, death and politics culminating in the second world war. Marking perhaps the actual turning point for the British Empire, the ending is naturally where the narator and main character brings it to the present day.
   I think the 1981 television series is some of the very best screenplay ever made, beautifull, brilliant and wonderfull. It's worth watching for the cars and architecture at the very least.
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/717285/Brideshead-Revisited-25th-Anniversary-Box-Set/Product.html
In fact as much as I can, being just an internet entity, I must erge you to see this series it's cheap enough so please do it is absolutely the best.