Technics SL D-2 turntable

Airborn

Technics SL D-2 turntable
« on: 2 May 2007, 07:40 am »
I just discovered a Technics SL D-2 turntable, without headshell or cart for $40. Is this a good deal and does anyone know anything about this turntable?  I know I can ask at Audiokarma and the Vinyl Asylum but thought I'd check here first.

From what I can find, its similar to the SL 1200 in DD and speed control and W&F specs.  If so, it might be a good deal paired with an AT-440ml or swimilar cart and new headshell. I've been curious about DD and so any advice from knowledgable members would be appreciated, particularly as to cart recommendations and mods to increase performance. Thanks. 

Nels Ferre

Re: Technics SL D-2 turntable
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2007, 06:22 pm »
The SLD-2 and the 1200 are two different animals. While both are direct drive, the 1200 is quartz lock for more precise speed regulation.

I wouldn't say $40 is a great deal considering the missing headshell.  You could probably find the same deal online with the headshell on Ebay with some patience.

I hope this helps.

TheChairGuy

Re: Technics SL D-2 turntable
« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2007, 10:12 pm »
A good, cheap test mule is a good way to try DD...I did the same thing on a JVC DD bought on ebay for $50 a couple years ago. Belt Drives, inasmuch as I appreciate their stone cold pitch black quiet passages, also drive me insane with their inability to hold a note perfectly stable (like CD); most notable on piano, string and other instruments that play in the upper registers.

You can't improve the speed/stability specs to 1200-series levels, but if you put it on a good support underneath, damp the hell out of the deck and platter, and get your cartridge aligned right in the new headshell.....you will at least get a quickie understanding of the performance of the better, more expensive, DD tables out there.

Most likely the SL-D2 is a lighter weight Technics deck....about 10 lbs of Plast-i-Clay inside the deck itself might be your best and most significant avenue to improve it's performance. $40 and a couple hours of your time applying it will likely pay off rich dividends  :thumb: