Passive Preamp on the way!

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #20 on: 20 Mar 2005, 01:32 pm »
Quote from: Bwanagreg
Vinnie,

Could you offer a home theater bypass option for one of the inputs?

Ofcourse, I could be greedy and ask for a new preamp with a battery-powered DAC section built in...

Or a full passive/battery DAC/Pre/Amp one box integrated unit. I've head rumours someone 'round here is getting one...   :D

Hi Greg,

What do you mean by home theater bypass?

Thanks,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #21 on: 20 Mar 2005, 01:34 pm »
Quote from: miklorsmith
How about 4 inputs/one output?

Yes, this can easily be done for those who do not need the second pair of outputs for a subwoofer.  I can just wire it for 4 inputs, and 1 output.  No problemo!  I'll have to put this on my webpage (which needs updating!) as an option.  Good idea!

Thanks,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 20 Mar 2005, 01:43 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Have you considered just turning the Clari-T into an integrated amp?  Surely, there's room in that case for a couple more RCA jacks and input selector switch.  The volume pot could just be upgraded to the Dale resistor unit.  

This way, you save money on the second chassis, less signal length, one less pair of interconnects (!), and possibly smaller total cost to us consumers?

Hi Jon,

>>Surely, there's room in that case for a couple more RCA jacks and input selector switch.

It is actually very tight in there and on the back panel, and I only have been able to put 1 additonal pair of RCA outputs on the back.  I have done this for those who wanted a volume controlled subwoofer, or, and extra set of inputs (with a selector switch on the front).  

Yes, I can also offer the stepped attenuator in the Clari-T-Amp as well.

The passive preamp is ideal for those who:

1) Want a more "modular" approach (flexibility for future upgrades)

2) Want more 3 inputs and 2 outputs (one extra for a subwoofer), OR,
    4 inputs and 1 output

3) Want to buy a Clari-T-Amp w/o volume control, and maybe
    buy an additonal one for use as monoblocks in the future.  :P

4) Don't even have a Clari-T-Amp, but just want to buy a
    passive preamp  :wink:

Regards,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: ... something for the couch potatos
« Reply #23 on: 20 Mar 2005, 01:53 pm »
Quote from: scott_man
Vinne:

This sounds like a great project!

Any chance that you could provide an optional remote control (at least for the volume)?

Scott.

Hi Scott,

At this time, and I am not going to have a remote control option.  

I'd like to bring your attention to this:

http://www.creekaudio.com/main_product.asp?prolook=obh22

This can be placed right on top the Clari-T-Amp (they are nearly the same dimensions) and has remote volume and input select.

I actually modded one into a "shunt-mode" volume control for Clari-T-Amp owner "smargo" and he love it!

And as Mark pointed out, there are kits for a remote stepped attenuator, but they will add more complexity and cost...which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Regards,

Bwanagreg

« Reply #24 on: 20 Mar 2005, 02:40 pm »
Hi Vinnie,

A HT bypass option would involve wiring one input directly to the outputs - bypassing the volume control. This is for folks with a combined music and movies system, where a separate multichannel digital processor is used for movies. It allows you to run the front pair (Left/Right) of outputs from the processor (which has it's own volume control)  through the preamp with no gain change. Stereo sources use your volume control normally. A lot of commercial units have this capability now.

I'm excited by the number of ideas I see coming from you for high quality low cost battery/passive products.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #25 on: 20 Mar 2005, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: Bwanagreg
Hi Vinnie,

A HT bypass option would involve wiring one input directly to the outputs - bypassing the volume control. This is for folks with a combined music and movies system, where a separate multichannel digital processor is used for movies. It allows you to run the front pair of outputs from the processor (which has it's own volume control)  through the preamp with no gain change. Stereo sources use your volume control normally. A lot of commercial units have this capability now.

I'm excited by the ...

Hi Greg,

I do not plan on offering the HT bypass option as a standard feature with my passive preamp.  However, I'm sure I can offer it as an option those who want it...sounds simple enough to do.

Thanks,

Bwanagreg

« Reply #26 on: 20 Mar 2005, 02:52 pm »
Thanks Vinnie. Sounds like a winner.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #27 on: 22 Mar 2005, 02:47 pm »
Pre-no Noir   :lol:

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #28 on: 22 Mar 2005, 03:45 pm »
Pre-anT  :mrgreen:  (Rhymes with chianti)

suits_me

« Reply #29 on: 22 Mar 2005, 08:27 pm »
Vinnietage.

I realize that is a terrible preamp name, but....

If your preamp had a vertical form factor you could have gone for "Sideways." But again, for entertainment purposes only...and the movie studio would probably sue you.

Passive Wine Seller.

I should stop now - until I have something to actually contribute. Burp.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
And so it will be named...
« Reply #30 on: 22 Mar 2005, 10:54 pm »
All,

First, thanks for all your participation in assisting me with choosing a name for the new passive preamp.

:drums: I have decided on naming it...

...The Puri-T Passive Preamp (or simply the Puri-T for short).

I was also heavily considering the Clari-Pre, but decided that it may
be a little confusing.  "Puri-T" gives it its own identity, and it most importantly, it states what this passive preamp is all about -- maintaining the purity of the signal from the source(s) to the Clari-T.  :P

What is the status of the Puri-T?

I am planning to have the first batch ready for sale in early April.  The prototype is almost finished (I'll hopefully be able to take pictures tomorrow)!

What options will there be with the Puri-T?

So far, there will be three options available:

1) 3 pairs of inputs, 2 pairs of outputs (2nd output can be used with the line level input of a subwoofer)

2) 4 pairs of inputs, and 1 pair of outputs (for those who prefer to have an extra input pair instead of the extra output pair).

Options 1 or 2 will not add to the cost of the Puri-T.

For an additional cost (to be determined), I will offer option 3:

3) Home Theater Bypass, as mentioned a few posts above by Greg.  My guess is that this will add around $50 to the cost...

Thanks again everyone!

yertletheturtle

Puri-T.....you made my day
« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2005, 03:07 am »
Vinnie,
you made my day picking the name Puri-T for one of your creations--feels like I participated in a little bit of audio history!!  (it really doesnt take much to get me excited thses days)

Anyway,  because Vinnie made me feel like a winner, I would like to pass on a winning opprotunity to the next reader here......
RYNN4 ECW9K gets you a free Pepsi/iTunes song on iTunes music store.
just post here if you use it so that we dont waste people's time trying.

Cheers

viggen

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2005, 11:41 pm »
How about Claritinput/output?  Claritino for short.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Puri-T pics...
« Reply #33 on: 24 Mar 2005, 04:36 am »
All,

I posted a couple of pictures of the Puri-T prototype here:
http://www.redwineaudio.com/Wine_Tasting.html

Thanks for stopping by,

MaxCast

« Reply #34 on: 24 Mar 2005, 12:18 pm »
Looks like there is only room for 5 pairs of RCA's.  Does that mean option 3 will take away a input or output?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #35 on: 24 Mar 2005, 01:42 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Looks like there is only room for 5 pairs of RCA's.  Does that mean option 3 will take away a input or output?

MaxCast,

Option 3 is HT bypass, which will simply involve a switch to sent the input directly to the output (bypass the volume control).  For this, I would use a mini toggle switch mounted on the front, not the back.  This will NOT take away an input or output.

Regards,

mcgsxr

« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar 2005, 02:19 pm »
Right, I think that Vinnie is saying that the HT option will not physically remove one of the sets of RCA's, but you will have to dedicate one of the inputs to your HT preamp, so that you can feed the signal to your Puri-T.

IE if you have the HT bypass option, you will essentially have 1 less input to use for CD, Tuner, etc, since you will have your HT pre/receiver hooked up there.

Perhaps this was already evident to all... ah well, better go have a coffee!

JeffB

HT bypass
« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2005, 04:45 pm »
I am not actually clear on the HT bypass.  I expected what mcgsxr stated just above.  However this would not require a switch.  With the switch it looks like one input could be a normal input or an HT bypass input based upon the position of the switch?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: HT bypass
« Reply #38 on: 24 Mar 2005, 05:00 pm »
Quote from: JeffB
I am not actually clear on the HT bypass.  I expected what mcgsxr stated just above.  However this would not require a switch.  With the switch it looks like one input could be a normal input or an HT bypass input based upon the position of the switch?

All,

Allow me to explain how I think it will work:

All three inputs would go to the input select switch, and the output of the input select would go to the volume control.  I'm thinking that the switch would be used to bypass the volume control completely...so any of the inputs can can be selected and switched to HT bypass mode.  This way, you don't have to dedicate one input to HT bypass mode.  Any one of them can be switched to HT bypass mode.  

Sound good?  :wink:

mcgsxr

« Reply #39 on: 24 Mar 2005, 05:56 pm »
Hmmmn, you are one creative cat!  I had never thought of that.

In the case of the Hagerman Clarinet tube pre that mgalusha built me, I only wanted one input anyway, so the dpdt switch that I have on mine, swaps between the live input (that includes the volume control, and tubes etc) and the HT input (that is wired directly through the unit, to the outputs).

I grow more impressed with Vinnie each time I learn a little more about the products that he is producing!

Nice work!