oppo question

dlowman

oppo question
« on: 21 Nov 2005, 03:26 pm »
I am writing this here cause I know alot of you guys are familiar with this unit.  I took mine (stock) over to a friends house and compared it to his pioneer elite.  It was top of the line a couple of years ago.  Anyway, on picture the two were amazingly close.  And the blackness (brightness) feature really came in handy with his projector.  
Anyway, when we used the digital coax out on the oppo to play the new star wars there was a definately difference in sound.  I wouldn't think this would be the case since I didn't think the coax output had anything on it to change the sound.  We used a denon processor for the dolby processing for both players.  But the Pioneer definately gave a better signal to the denon.  Has anyone else noticed this?

thanks,
Dan

P.S Wayne how can I get on the list to try out your modded oppo :)

Wayne1

oppo question
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2005, 03:57 pm »
Dan,

I am not too sure the Oppo demo is going to continue.

It has been on the road for over three months now and there are barely two comments about it.

The whole idea about an audition of a product is to get it into as many hands as possible and for the folks who get the unit to write about it. This really hasn't happened with the Oppo.

The Oppo is all about the video performance through DVI output. It is one of the best for the money for picture quality.

The digital output with a Bybee inline is pretty fantastic. Do not think of it as a CD player with world class performance on analog outs. It is not that.  It IS a DVD player that sounds very good in a home theater system.

For world class music playback, use a SB2 and rip your CDs to hard drive.

bubba966

oppo question
« Reply #2 on: 21 Nov 2005, 09:07 pm »
If you got the digital OPPO mod w/Bybee that Wayne offers I'm sure that it'd no longer sound worse than the Elite that you compared it to.

I'm familiar with every single disc Elite DVDP that's been produced. Not sure what deck you were listening to, but I've probably heard it before.

The modded OPPO comes closest to the DV-AX10. And the AX10 is a good deal better sounding on the digital outs than all of the rest of the Elites.

You want the digital outs on the OPPO to sound better, get Wayne to mod it for 'ya.