Basic Linear Power Supply for Squeezebox

Wayne1

« on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:11 am »

Here is a quick shot of the new "Basic" power suply for the Squeezebox.

This is the rev 1 version. The first one I offered was in the same case style but a bit smaller.

I went with a bigger case so I could do a few more things.

It still uses an ACME Audio Silver plated IEC connector and fuse holder.

It uses the same 4 amp EI core transformer. The larger case size means I can use a bit larger circuit board and space it further away from the transformer.

All the wiring is Teflon insulated, solid core, copper cored silver. All of the wiring is point to point, no traces or connectors.

The rectifiers are IXYS 8 amp HexFREDs. The filter and resevoir capacitors are Panasonic FC, low ESR. The regulator is a Linear Technologies LT1086-5.

The most noticable difference is the DC output connector is now a Neutrik XLR. By using this connector, I can isolate the DC output and ground the case to the main AC ground. This will help in shielding the case from EMI. It will also prevent the connector from coming loose from the power supply by mistake.

With the larger board, bypass caps are now possible to be added. This made a fairly big difference in the sound of the Super Deluxe power supply when run on AC.

The price of the Basic Power Supply will be $230.00.

The Basic Power Supply with bypass caps will cost $250.00

The Deluxe Power Supply will be in a much nicer case. The internal components will be the same, but they will be spaced even further apart.

davehg

• http://musicserver.blogspot.com
Does the deluxe version have a power on/off switch?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2005, 07:19 am »
Great power supply design! You really do nice work, Wayne.

I recall the deluxe box had a switch on it and an LED. (image below) Is this a power on/off switch, and will it be included on the deluxe? Finally, does the deluxe PS "package also come with a power cord (Nitro) or is this additional?

Wayne1

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2005, 02:22 pm »
Those pictures are of the Super Deluxe Power Supply  :D That switch is to change from battery to AC

I haven't built the Deluxe yet.

It will be in a similar case to the Super Deluxe, but it will have no batteries, lights or switches.

I can price the PS with or without the power cable. I am not real sure on this subject. Lots of folks have power cables laying around and might resent being forced to buy another one. Some other folks may not have any extra. Maybe I will offer it both with and without the Nitro power cable.

Hopefully before Christmas, I will also offer the Super Deluxe ULTRA, Signature Edition :lol:

This will be a even biger case with FOUR batteries, lots of lights, switches, and maybe even a voltage meter.

This will be my statement product for SB power supplies. If all works out, some of what I will use in it may be offered as options in the less expensive PS.