Bryston 7SSTs

drummermitchell

Bryston 7SSTs
« on: 15 May 2008, 03:40 am »

Hi all,I had sent 2 of my 2006, 7B-ssts to Bryston to have the upgrade done
I just received them today(3weeks),very quick service as usual.
According to my serial #,I just missed when Bryston did their change over on the 14B-ssts,
and 7B-ssts.Either I missed them terribly :bawl:and I did,but they seem alot more sweet on the top.
I could hear more into the sound stage,,seems my bottom end tightened up also.If this is all from my baby's being away or the upgrade,I'm totally impressed.
I didn't Try To Listen,all I can say is thanks to James,Mike and the folks that did the work.
I also sent my other 7B-sst out today also for the upgrade.Totally worth the 3 week wait :singing:

KeithA

Re: Bryston 7SSTs
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2008, 08:01 am »

Hi all,I had sent 2 of my 2006, 7B-ssts to Bryston to have the upgrade done
I just received them today(3weeks),very quick service as usual.
According to my serial #,I just missed when Bryston did their change over on the 14B-ssts,
and 7B-ssts.Either I missed them terribly :bawl:and I did,but they seem alot more sweet on the top.
I could hear more into the sound stage,,seems my bottom end tightened up also.If this is all from my baby's being away or the upgrade,I'm totally impressed.
I didn't Try To Listen,all I can say is thanks to James,Mike and the folks that did the work.
I also sent my other 7B-sst out today also for the upgrade.Totally worth the 3 week wait :singing:

I assume the 'upgrade' is the transformer/power supply upgrade that has been chatted about here in recent weeks to gve give a little more headroom above 600 watts?

Keith

Keith

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2008, 02:47 pm »

Hi Keith,yes the coil choke upgrades.What a difference,I even checked out some of my older
recordings,very impressive,my catfish are a jumpin now.

KeithA

« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2008, 03:51 pm »

Hi Keith,yes the coil choke upgrades.What a difference,I even checked out some of my older
recordings,very impressive,my catfish are a jumpin now.

Interesting :o

I'm getting myself new amps for my front channels later this year. I've self-imposed a timeline of December or so, so there's no rush. The 14B & 7B SSTs were always at the top of my list to attempt to try. I've even started to consider the 28Bs, but I see myself gravitating likely toward the 7B SSTs if I go the Bryston route again (I've agreed to demo an amp that a 'friend of a friend' is building since it's local and I will be able to demo it). My problem is that I won't get to demo any of the other Bryston amps, so I'd be buying blind again...which may just happen (It's not like I have no idea what I may be getting :thumb:)

But I find it intriguing that you find a marked difference in the 7Bs pre and post upgrade. I wouldn't have expected that.

Keith

drummermitchell

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2008, 09:33 pm »

Hi Keith,for me I like the brystons(sound)if you can say they have a sound.
I think they are as honest for the music as that of a true friend,
these will be the last I'll buy unless we upgrade to 28b-ssts.
I like my music to be as honest as possible(no colorations)
I hope to get what the musician is putting out,emotionally, ect.
That's what I get from the Brystons(emotion,my emotion).
I believe they are used in studios ect,We use to brystons on the road
25 yrs.ago.For me they get right down to the meat and potatoes of the music
NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.Too bad you couldn't borrow an amp from a dealer to check out.
They work for me,but then again I work for me. :D

KeithA

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2008, 10:24 pm »

Hi Keith,for me I like the brystons(sound)if you can say they have a sound.
I think they are as honest for the music as that of a true friend,
these will be the last I'll buy unless we upgrade to 28b-ssts.
I like my music to be as honest as possible(no colorations)
I hope to get what the musician is putting out,emotionally, ect.
That's what I get from the Brystons(emotion,my emotion).
I believe they are used in studios ect,We use to brystons on the road
25 yrs.ago.For me they get right down to the meat and potatoes of the music
NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.Too bad you couldn't borrow an amp from a dealer to check out.
They work for me,but then again I work for me. :D

Don't get me wrong, I fly the Bryston flag as proudly as anyone. I've had my 6BST(SST) for six years now (My SP1.7 for almost 5, my Torus for 2 months and just waiting on my BDA-1 :D) with the intention of if I ever upgrade my fronts the 6B would go to the backs and centre and it has always been most likely that I would upgrade witha 14B or 7B SST, or the latest and greatest.

I love the thought of the 28BSSTs, but I'd have to try them before I'd buy them. At that price or more, that's no different than getting a car...and one would likely want to test drive that before you buy it. I'd love to hear the 28Bs next to the 14B or 7Bs. I'd even love to hear the 7Bs or 14Bs so I could compare them to the 6B. Bryston is not the only brand I'm unable to demo. I have access to none of it here! So, I will be trying to get a listen somewhere in Canada (either Montreal or Toronto) in the next few months. I travel to these places for work several times a year, so I may be able to arrange something. I'm in Toronto twice in the first 2 weeks of June, so we'll see. But hearing them in a store is not the same as hearing them at home.

So, no matter what I buy, I will likely be buying unheard, and if that's the case, there's only one brand I'll be buying. So there's a darn good chance I'll be getting a new Bryston :wink: I do have access to an amp designed locally to demo by this fall, like I said earlier, and since the builder is a 'friend of a friend', I've agreed to give it a whirl before I commit to anything else. But I'd say there's a 90% chance I'll buy Bryston again, if I buy. I would just like to know there's a marked inprovement over the 6BSST before paying $8,000 to $16,000 for some new amps. I know what the reviews say, etc, but the problem I have is I could live happily with the 6B for years...but you know, sometimes you just get that 'itch' :)

Keith

smerlas

« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2008, 01:53 am »
Keith,

Funny you should mention the "itch".  8) I see replacing my 804s with the 803d or 802d, then I can set my sights on the 14BSST or a pair of 7BSSTs.  I think the 4BSST is the limit the 804s can handle.

However a rational individual could just enjoy the sonic bliss of my existing system for a while.  If I remember correctly the "itch" is how I ended up with new speakers which oh yeah now I remember led to the Bryston.  The "itch" can be a very powerful force.

Owning the Bryston line, after demoing other brands, I do not see myself looking elsewhere.  I too never would have expected an upgrade to the "new" SST series would result in a marked difference.:scratch:
« Last Edit: 16 May 2008, 02:46 am by smerlas »

KeithA

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2008, 09:07 am »
Keith,

Funny you should mention the "itch".  8) I see replacing my 804s with the 803d or 802d, then I can set my sights on the 14BSST or a pair of 7BSSTs.  I think the 4BSST is the limit the 804s can handle.

However a rational individual could just enjoy the sonic bliss of my existing system for a while.  If I remember correctly the "itch" is how I ended up with new speakers which oh yeah now I remember led to the Bryston.  The "itch" can be a very powerful force.

Funny. My dealer for Bryston also sells B&W. I've been joking for a few years as to when they would bring in a set of 802s for me to demo. They just smile :wink:

I will upgrade speakers too. I'm indifferent as to which comes first. Even though a 14B or 7B (or 28B) is more power than the 804s can handle, those amps would be fine running at partial power for those speakers. I always didn't mind having a bit of overkill in the front 2 channels since its kind of a reserve if you ever buy a set of speakers in the future that are somewhat inefficent or just like the big power, it's there on tap. It's kind of like 'future-proofing' your amps, so to speak.

I'm actually going to drop by my dealer today and toss out some 'what-ifs' to see what they would be willing to do about getting to hear some of the big Brystons. I've dealt with them for years and have a great relationship with them (the salesman and I actually have become good friends, in a way). However, I'm not sure that would mean much when you are asking them to take the risk of stocking 28BSSTs in this very small market :D But we'll see what happens.

Keith

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #8 on: 16 May 2008, 01:43 pm »

...good luck, keith :wink:!

alex.

KeithA

« Reply #9 on: 16 May 2008, 01:48 pm »

...good luck, keith :wink:!

alex.

Well, if that doesn't work (which I doubt it will), at least I've already got some feedback from local dealers in the Toronto area who at least stock the 14BSST. I'm in Toronto a couple times in the next few weeks, so I should be able to have a listen to the 14BSST, at least.

Keith

smerlas

« Reply #10 on: 16 May 2008, 10:35 pm »
Keith,

I understand .......... however  for me I need to go the speaker route first.  The "reserve" power has a high likelihood of being used resulting in an expensive speaker "problem".  It would not be the first pair of speakers I overdrove.  This would however be the most expensive to date.  :duh:

I am impressed with the 802 and their Abby Road heritage, but am intrigued by the 803.  Both have the same power ratings.  The 803 would be a little more friendly from a space standpoint.

I have been contemplating seeing if I can demo the 803.  My dealer has a pair.

See if you scratch the "itch" it only gets worse. :lol:

Good luck with your endeavors to find the 28 for demo.

« Last Edit: 17 May 2008, 02:01 am by smerlas »