Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Veneer Question/ NX Ottica MTM-H Frame Servo Bass Build
« Reply #160 on: 21 May 2017, 05:17 pm »
Ed, I don't know this gun, but will see if I can find an exploded view. Where are you finding the spirals? About the only thing that could create spirals (because of shape) would be the needle, methinks, but that would be a new one for me. This has a self contained turbine, right?

I found an exploded view, it doesn't look like this has a needle that stops against the nozzle orifice.

Do the spirals appear to be ribbons of dried finish?

ebag4

« Reply #161 on: 21 May 2017, 05:35 pm »
Peter, this is an exploded view:  http://www.ereplacementparts.com/wagner-control-spray-max-0518604-fine-finishing-sprayer-parts-c-139698_139700_184190.html

The cellophane is in the main body top air path around the needle, I wonder if the nozzle seal could be leaking after I removed it to wash it out, if it was spraying inside the air path the turbulent air could make that happen I suppose. This is a pic of the cellophane and where I found it in the gun:

What do you think?

Best,
Ed

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #162 on: 21 May 2017, 05:55 pm »
I think I'd agree about an internal leak. I'm guessing the air would be spiraling because of turbine output and hence finish would follow path. I know latex paint is really abrasive, I wonder if this finish could be similar. Looks like needle and nozzle are plastic which I imagine could be susceptible to abrasion. That would also make sense from a timing standpoint. It didn't leak at first, but now does.

Look closely at the needle and where it seats, magnifying  glass might help. It's possible the only fix would be new parts.

FWIW, I have a steel needle and nozzle that I took out of good Sharpe gun. The needle has a very visible shoulder that was the result of shooting latex paint. Surprised me.

Edited to add.

That, I'm assuming, is tinted finish, correct? When I'm tinting clear, I typically finish up with clear finish, no tint. It would be easier to touch up later if you have to.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #163 on: 21 May 2017, 06:03 pm »
It might also be possible to "seat" the needle. Years ago one could by and abrasive paste to do finish lapping on valve seats in engines, but I haven't looked for it in years. Maybe some gritty toothpaste or ??? and you could lap the needle to nozzle.

Still exists, what did we do before Google!?

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1419009&KPID=1188648&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Catch_All_-_DT_-_RLSA&pla=pla_1188648&k_clickid=39c08f05-5075-4da9-b6e2-b86078702ab8

ebag4

« Reply #164 on: 21 May 2017, 06:15 pm »
Thanks for the input Peter.  I think I will pickup a new nozzle seal and nozzle and see if that takes care of it.  Yes, the last few coats have been tinted, the last couple are going to be clear.  They won't happen today, I'm going to order the parts so hopefully the gun is working at its best the final coats.

Best,
Ed

Captainhemo

« Reply #165 on: 24 May 2017, 03:46 pm »
Somehow I missed your update Ed but,  they look like they have come a long way,  going to be  gorgeous
Hope you get  your gun issue  straightened out  and get  those final cots laid on soon.  the black and copper of the NQ's is going to add another dimension  to these   :thumb:

jay

ebag4

« Reply #166 on: 29 May 2017, 05:39 pm »
Hey Jay, you didn't miss much  :D

I decided to flatten one more time, the weather was great so I did the sanding outside, much easier to see what needs additional sanding.  This time I used a small rubber block, I believe this was an improvement as compared to the 11" block I was using previously.

My parts for the sprayer arrived Saturday, I had two more tinted coats to apply, although the cellophane in the air path still occurred it was to a lesser degree.  The odd thing was that the final 3 clear coats did not have the cellophane type buildup, no issue at all.

The spraying is complete, I am quite happy with the end result.  I will buff them out but need to wait about 10 days or so.  In the meantime I will apply the Duratex to the bottoms of the bass cabs, center piece and MTMs.

Here they are today:

As is evident, my photography skills are lacking, I took one of the speakers outside to see if it helped:

So no, taking them outside didn't help much :lol:.  Although you can't tell from the pics, the detail in the Burl shows through in a cool way, I believe buffing them out will improve the look.

Best,
Ed

cody69

« Reply #167 on: 29 May 2017, 07:57 pm »
Ed, these are looking great. Have enjoyed your journey with this build, and eagerly await your reaction to the finished product.
What you're doing takes a lot of patience and care... something we only do for ourselves!

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #168 on: 31 May 2017, 12:29 am »
Those are looking really good Ed, it's not easy getting the look you want but looks like you're on your way.

I really like your color choice and bet they will look great buffed out.

Early B.

« Reply #169 on: 31 May 2017, 02:08 am »
A true audiophile -- focused more on aesthetics than the sound.   :lol:

They look awesome, BTW. You ought to consider building matching furniture. I'm sure that thought has crossed your mind.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #170 on: 31 May 2017, 02:34 am »

They look awesome, BTW. You ought to consider building matching furniture. I'm sure that thought has crossed your mind.

A Red room??? Nice as an accent color but too much would drive me bonkers  :dunno:

Early B.

« Reply #171 on: 31 May 2017, 02:41 am »
A Red room???

Nah. Just a piece or two of furniture -- like a coffee table or two end tables in the same wood and matching color.

jseipp

« Reply #172 on: 31 May 2017, 02:55 am »
Those are amazing!!  Thank you Ed for taking and sharing the journey, and thank you all for sharing your knowledge and wisdom; I have learned so much.

It's very cool that you achieved the red you were after; your dedication to your vision is pure inspiration. You've pieces to be extremely proud of.... :D :D :D :D !!!!

ebag4

« Reply #173 on: 31 May 2017, 02:56 am »
Thanks guys, I am looking forward to getting them playing.

Hey early, I had the same thought cross my mind  :lol:.  If I didn't already have a great pair of speakers I would not have the patience to work on these as long as I have.

Best,
Ed

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #174 on: 2 Jun 2017, 11:48 pm »
Ed, they are really turning out nice. The veneer in the waveguide is so dang unique, I freakin' love it.  I've got to add that to my bucket list.

How are others in the household doing with the commandeering of the garage as spray booth?

ebag4

« Reply #175 on: 3 Jun 2017, 12:15 am »
Ed, they are really turning out nice. The veneer in the waveguide is so dang unique, I freakin' love it.  I've got to add that to my bucket list.

How are others in the household doing with the commandeering of the garage as spray booth?

Thanks Peter.

It's my side of the garage, so I'm parked outside, she is still inside, no issue there. The mess is another matter but she is fairly tolerant.  The EM6000 doesn't have any smell to speak of, so no issue there.

Best,
Ed

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #176 on: 3 Jun 2017, 03:12 am »

I have commandeered the garage but it is where I house all my tools. I have to roll them out into the driveway to use them, not enough space in the garage.

For a spray booth I have an easy-up style shelter with the sides closed in with plastic set up in the driveway. Far from ideal but better than trying to spray in the open air.

ebag4

« Reply #177 on: 3 Jun 2017, 11:23 pm »
Applied Duratex to the bottoms of each piece and the top inset area of the middle pieces.  This was the first time I have used Duratex, I really like the way it goes on and looks.

Best,
Ed

ebag4

« Reply #178 on: 11 Jun 2017, 01:50 am »
I worked on buffing out a test panel today.  I started with a interior wing so if something went wrong it would be covered with no-Rez anyway.  I started at 800 grit followed by 1500 and 2000.  I then used a wool bonnet on my orbital sander to buff it out with Meguires Mirror Glaze fine cut cleaner.  I am very happy with the result.  The veneer has small cracks in the grain that I opted not to fill, this shows at certain angles but I am good with that, it is wood.  I hope to finish the rest tomorrow.

Best,
Ed

jimbones

« Reply #179 on: 11 Jun 2017, 03:14 am »
Bravo, nice work!!  :bounce: