Sub question

Zero the Hero

Sub question
« on: 28 Jan 2008, 12:52 pm »
I have a small spare room that I'm using for a home theater - it's 9 x 12 with a 4 foot wide hallway attached - no door - that leads to my master bedroom. Currently I have a Def Tech ProCinema system in there, wall mounted, and a Velodyne F1200 sub instead of the little Def Tech that came with the system. Now, the Velo is nice, for a 15 year old sub, but I want more.
I modeled the current SW-12B driver, and even though it states optimum ported enclosure is 2.2 feet, it sure looks nice in about 3 1/2 tuned near the Fs. Is there a downside to going with this size enclosure? I am limited in height due to center channel being 14 inches above floor, so I was thinking 14" high, 14" deep and 3- 4 feet wide with a front mounted driver and side mounted port.
Issues with this? Or would the new driver be even better in this small of a room. This is strictly for movies - those def techs don't do music very well, but movies i can't complain at all. The room is treated with 2" thick OC 705 in 4' x 8 sheets on the wall, but no real bass traps due to size constraints. There is a nice size loveseat to soak up some bass, but thats it.

Danny Richie

Re: Sub question
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jan 2008, 03:42 pm »
Actually that optimal ported 2.2 cubic feet was in reference to the SW-12A. I just now went in and corrected the text to show the optimal box volume for the SW-12B. Yes is does look good in a 3.5 cubic foot box.

I see no problems with your box shape and side firing port. It should really pound in that room. No worries about it overloading the room. Just set the gain appropriately (turn it down as needed).

Zero the Hero

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2008, 04:05 pm »
very cool, can you also answer a question about powering it? Let's say I wanted to be pretty cheap for the time being; I see this is an  8 ohm driver, so could I use an unused channel on my reciever (not a POS, a high-end Yamaha) and make a simple passive low-pass filter?

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2008, 04:32 pm »
Amps for a low price are here: http://www.apexjr.com/amps.html

tjt123

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jan 2008, 06:56 pm »
On the older SW12A and PR12A using the plans from your site and powered by the modified Apex Sr. amp., would you stuff with Poly Fill?  If so, loosely or tightly? 

I found an old link http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=26466.0 where someone had lined with BH5 and you said Poly Fill wasn't really needed there.  I could potentially put some No Rez in there but I'm trying to keep the price down on this sub unless the No Rez is going to make a really big difference compared to Poly.

-TIM

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jan 2008, 08:11 pm »
I still fill the box with a medium density of poly fill even if using No Rez.

Where No Rez or BH-5 really makes a difference is in damping the walls of the enclosure. Poly fill does not do this. A quiet non-resonant enclosure sounds much better.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2008, 11:05 pm »

Zero the Hero

« Reply #7 on: 9 Feb 2008, 09:18 pm »
Another sub question here-

Still planning on usng the 12B, but thinking about a PR sub. In your description for the PR-12A it states they are good for a 2.4 cu ft box tuned to 21hz. What would happen if I were to use 2 Pr's in a larger box with the 12B? I'm not sure how to model those.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2008, 09:54 pm »
That would tune it too low and it would loose a lot of output.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2008, 10:41 pm »
Ok, fair enough. One more question (I hope!), can you give me the dimensions? Specifically concerned about the cutout diameter.

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 10 Feb 2008, 11:43 pm »
11" for the threw hole and 12.625" is the outer diameter.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #11 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:35 pm »
thanks - i lied when I said one more question  :D

I know the PR's can only be used vertically, but how about any of the sub drivers? Is downfiring (or even upfiring) ok? Any issues with an upfiring sub?

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 12 Feb 2008, 04:38 pm »
The woofer can face any direction.