Just got my AV-O kit! Dumb noob question..

Zero the Hero

Just got my AV-O kit! Dumb noob question..
« on: 27 Nov 2007, 11:02 pm »
forgive me, I've never built a speaker before. Everything looks great and I can't wait to put it together, but I have a question about the crossover. Does anyone have a diagram or pic of the best way to place the components? Also, what is the thin black tubing for? The (beautiful) copper speaker wire provided is already sleeved.
Thanks in advance!

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Just got my AV-O kit! Dumb noob question..
« Reply #1 on: 28 Nov 2007, 02:51 am »
The thin black tubing is heat shrink tubing to seal any bare wire to prevent oxidization ( as bare copper oxidizes when exposed to the air )when you wire to the components in the crossovers and to the drivers.

You slip a small piece over the wire (keep it away from the joint when soldering), solder the wire to your connection, then slide the heat shrink tubing over the area where you have any exposed copper wire and use a heat gun (or hair dryer) to seal the wire end ( you can do it over the solder joint as well, as Danny does on all his connections).

Cheers

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 28 Nov 2007, 03:18 am »
Cut a small board just small enough to fit in the bottom cavity (something about 1/4" thick works great). Then lay the parts out on it so see how to orient them. If you want I can lay out the parts and take a pic for you so you can get an idea of how to arrange them. Just send me an e-mail request of that so I can respond to it. Once assembled you can then screw the board to the bottom of the enclosure in the space provided for the crossover.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #3 on: 28 Nov 2007, 02:14 pm »
Is there enough room on one board to do it? I was going to do two boards, one on each side of the enclosure vertically. I can probably figure it out, if I have trouble I'll shoot you an email. Thanks for the replies!

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 28 Nov 2007, 02:19 pm »
That will work fine too (two boards).